Impossible essay question? (1 Viewer)

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
Alright so, I do Visual Arts as one of my electives...as can be seen below my post o_O ....but anyway, moving right along. So, we've had about two weeks warning for an in-class essay and have been given one period of "strong hints" about what to do both during an essay in general and to help us prepare for this one. So anyway, I realised two days before just how stupid the question really is:

"Evaluate two or more purposes for artmaking. Refer to specific artists and artworks"

So, I have some basic idea of what to do, but its the grammar that seriously bugs me. If it hadn't been explained I would have been pretty much clueless. I think I about dropped my jaw when I questioned the teacher and she replied that she takes any essay question she gives us from past exams...I feel extremely sorry for whoever had this load of garbage sprung upon them during their exam.

You cannot EVALUATE the PURPOSE behind an artwork. You could explain it, you could justify it, you could outline it, and whatever other fancy and ambiguous words they use in exams to test our knowledge while seeking out some specific response to indicate our understanding - but exactly HOW do you make a judgement/assess as to how well the purpose behind an artwork works? "Oh, Im sorry Van Gogh. Your mental state isn't a valid reason to create art" - SERIOUSLY - WHAT THE HECK WAS THE PERSON WHO WROTE THIS QUESTION SMOKING AND HOW DO I ANSWER IT TO A DECENT EXTENT?

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Tutored said:
You cannot EVALUATE the PURPOSE behind an artwork. You could explain it, you could justify it, you could outline it, and whatever other fancy and ambiguous words they use in exams to test our knowledge while seeking out some specific response to indicate our understanding - but exactly HOW do you make a judgement/assess as to how well the purpose behind an artwork works? "Oh, Im sorry Van Gogh. Your mental state isn't a valid reason to create art" - SERIOUSLY - WHAT THE HECK WAS THE PERSON WHO WROTE THIS QUESTION SMOKING AND HOW DO I ANSWER IT TO A DECENT EXTENT?
It makes quite clear sense, and what do you think explaining is?

To assess the systems, structures or components of the reason behind the art making practice.

You may have found it hard to understand but it's pretty much stated quite plainly.

""Oh, Im sorry Van Gogh. Your mental state isn't a valid reason to create art" - And exactly does that have to do with the art making practice?

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
EbonyTW said:
It makes quite clear sense, and what do you think explaining is?

To assess the systems, structures or components of the reason behind the art making practice.

You may have found it hard to understand but it's pretty much stated quite plainly.

""Oh, Im sorry Van Gogh. Your mental state isn't a valid reason to create art" - And exactly does that have to do with the art making practice?
Evaluate is to make a judgement on, as you can tell in my quote. To explain is to point out the cause, context and consequence of whatever it is you're explaining.

And I admit, I could have used a better example. But I'm not being questioned on the artmaking practice. I'm being questioned on the purpose behind the artmaking, which I dont think is possible to be subject to evaluation except perhaps by the creator him or herself.

bored of sc

HSC
Tutored said:
Evaluate is to make a judgement on, as you can tell in my quote. To explain is to point out the cause, context and consequence of whatever it is you're explaining.

And I admit, I could have used a better example. But I'm not being questioned on the artmaking practice. I'm being questioned on the purpose behind the artmaking, which I dont think is possible to be subject to evaluation except perhaps by the creator him or herself.
have you talked to your teacher about the confusion? are there others in the same situation?

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
She said to ignore it and just work from the hints given. I cant wrap my head around it though; I dont think what were doing is answering the question. Mainly because I think the question doesn't have an answer.

bored of sc

HSC
Yeh, from what you've said it the two parts to the question - purpose and evaluate don't seem to go together.

Maybe, the purpose of the artwork is fairly clear but you have to evaluate how well this purpose is conveyed through arty stuff (as you can infer I don't do art)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Evaluate the purpose seems fine.

Evaluate why people paint - the purpose, so you could say that art painting is positive as it relieves stress/experssion/insert whatever here.

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
If the purpose of the artwork was clear then one would assume it was conveyed quite well :p
I do get what you're saying though, and bs'ing through an essay has always gotten me atleast a C before...I guess it'll just have to do this time.

tommykins said:
Evaluate the purpose seems fine.

Evaluate why people paint - the purpose, so you could say that art painting is positive as it relieves stress/experssion/insert whatever here.
Hmm...that could work too xD

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
Basically I just wrote about the different purposes of art and used examples from two artists and said how successful they were (my 'judgement') in showing the purpose. I'm pretty sure we were told not to do that, but as far as I can tell thats the only way I can do a general answer of the question. So I probably failed and now I hope when I get to the preliminary and HSC certificates that they dont have any pathetic wording similar to this question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)