In a sticky situation about tutoring :/ (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
At the moment I go to a tutoring centre that takes a 30 min drive to get there. 3 out of the 5 weekdays i go there after school and tutoring ends at 6:30 and assuming my parents can pick me up i get home at 7:00-7:10, if not a bus will get me home at almost 7:30-7:40. despite going to tutoring for 3 subjects, my half yearly reports were below average excluding a few subjects where i actually topped. ik i did crap because of poor time management and not studying enough but i find myself being very tired after tutoring and the other 2 out the the 5 weekdays i usually spend my time doing nothing (i'll have to change that) and weekends i do homework.

On a tutor free day, i get home at 4:15 so basically i've wasted almost 3-3 and a half hours hours going to tutoring for the last 2 terms. Would it be more beneficial for me to stop tutoring and see how i go by studying everyday after school or should i continue tutoring and stop bludging.

The reason why i'm posting this is to see the other perspectives of what other ppl have to say because i feel my choice is very bias as i keep thinking to myself "oh dw u go tutoring so you should know everything". How much has tutoring helped you? some of my friends are being carried by their tutors (ik one friend who has gotten their eng tutor to write their belonging essay and whatnot) while the person who is pretty much topping all the subjects dont go tutoring.

Things to take into account:

lack of motivation to study, no course i desire as idk what to do so chances of me studying properly is low
eng teacher cant teach for sh*t and idk how to self study english
im in yr 11

Any feedback would be most appreciated :)

SuperMike96

HSC
I would suggest trying to find a tutor that comes to your house if time is an issue. You could always try waking up earlier in the morning to study. It is easier to stay motivated if you set yourself achievable goals (whether they be tangible or intangible). To study for english you should make notes and practice essay writing and passed papers. Ask your english teacher, or tutor, to mark the essays you do.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I would suggest trying to find a tutor that comes to your house if time is an issue. You could always try waking up earlier in the morning to study. It is easier to stay motivated if you set yourself achievable goals (whether they be tangible or intangible). To study for english you should make notes and practice essay writing and passed papers. Ask your english teacher, or tutor, to mark the essays you do.
3 tutors going to my house would be too pricey :/ I COULD wake up earlier, that way theres no distractions since no one is on fb that time. Doing past papers requires someone to mark it and i dont think my teacher is going to do it so i'd eventually have to go tutoring. or unless there are past papers completed with answers i could get online :L

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Tutoring doesn't mean shit.
A bunch of my mates go tutoring, some of them are doing well while the others are doing crap. It depends on you, how motivated and committed you are. I personally don't go tutoring and I am ahead of most of the people that do. Being committed doesn't mean you don't go tutoring but it means you have to put the effort in regardless of you going tutoring or not going.

enoilgam

HSC
I would say that in this case, I would quit the tutoring. By your own admission, it isnt really helping you, so you are wasting your time and money by going there. I think one of the big mistakes you have made is assuming that tutoring can somehow carry you. Tutoring is largely dependent on what the student makes of it - you need to be committed in order for it to work.

That alone is an issue, but the fundamental problem you have is that you are unmotivated - when it comes to school work or anything, being motivated is fundamental. Without it, you're 88 and out the gate pretty much. So you need to focus on that before you can even think about anything else to be quite frank.

iBibah

HSC
At the moment I go to a tutoring centre that takes a 30 min drive to get there. 3 out of the 5 weekdays i go there after school and tutoring ends at 6:30 and assuming my parents can pick me up i get home at 7:00-7:10, if not a bus will get me home at almost 7:30-7:40. despite going to tutoring for 3 subjects, my half yearly reports were below average excluding a few subjects where i actually topped. ik i did crap because of poor time management and not studying enough but i find myself being very tired after tutoring and the other 2 out the the 5 weekdays i usually spend my time doing nothing (i'll have to change that) and weekends i do homework.

On a tutor free day, i get home at 4:15 so basically i've wasted almost 3-3 and a half hours hours going to tutoring for the last 2 terms. Would it be more beneficial for me to stop tutoring and see how i go by studying everyday after school or should i continue tutoring and stop bludging.

The reason why i'm posting this is to see the other perspectives of what other ppl have to say because i feel my choice is very bias as i keep thinking to myself "oh dw u go tutoring so you should know everything". How much has tutoring helped you? some of my friends are being carried by their tutors (ik one friend who has gotten their eng tutor to write their belonging essay and whatnot) while the person who is pretty much topping all the subjects dont go tutoring.

Things to take into account:

lack of motivation to study, no course i desire as idk what to do so chances of me studying properly is low
eng teacher cant teach for sh*t and idk how to self study english
im in yr 11

Any feedback would be most appreciated :)
While you're being tutored, do you find yourself engaged/listening at all? Or you're just waiting to finish up and go home?

nightweaver066

HSC
Although you did below average, do you think tutoring has helped your marks? If not, find a new tutor who can accompany your needs, or don't go tutoring at all and self-study. 30 minutes to go tutoring by car is far too long IMO.. Would not bother unless i was achieving spectacular marks / improving greatly.

Also, what area are you in out of curiousity?

iBibah

HSC
Although you did below average, do you think tutoring has helped your marks? If not, find a new tutor who can accompany your needs, or don't go tutoring at all and self-study. 30 minutes to go tutoring by car is far too long IMO.. Would not bother unless i was achieving spectacular marks / improving greatly.

You'll be surprised how far some people have to travel for quality tutoring.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Tutoring doesn't mean shit.
A bunch of my mates go tutoring, some of them are doing well while the others are doing crap. It depends on you, how motivated and committed you are. I personally don't go tutoring and I am ahead of most of the people that do. Being committed doesn't mean you don't go tutoring but it means you have to put the effort in regardless of you going tutoring or not going.
i guess i'll have to find some motivation :p how much studying per day do you do?

I would say that in this case, I would quit the tutoring. By your own admission, it isnt really helping you, so you are wasting your time and money by going there. I think one of the big mistakes you have made is assuming that tutoring can somehow carry you. Tutoring is largely dependent on what the student makes of it - you need to be committed in order for it to work.

That alone is an issue, but the fundamental problem you have is that you are unmotivated - when it comes to school work or anything, being motivated is fundamental. Without it, you're 88 and out the gate pretty much. So you need to focus on that before you can even think about anything else to be quite frank.
Lets assume i've found the motivation to work and when i say i'll study i'll actually do it and not procrastinate, what would my timetable look like?

While you're being tutored, do you find yourself engaged/listening at all? Or you're just waiting to finish up and go home?
As funny as this answer may sound, i tend to make the most out of the lesson yet when i'm at home i don't do any work. pretty much negating the effects of tutoring in the first place

Well i guess it does help, you never know, i may have done even worse without it. As much as i would like to answer your question, i think my friends lurk on this forum and i don't want them figuring out who i am xD

You'll be surprised how far some people have to travel for quality tutoring.
And how far some people pay for quality tutoring :p

mariannebags

HSC
N/A
It sounds like going to tutoring is helping you at least study some times. I'd try to go to bed earlier if you are tired, especially if your not studying at night. No one can make you do the work, tutoring will help to fill in gaps and keep you on track

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
As funny as this answer may sound, i tend to make the most out of the lesson yet when i'm at home i don't do any work. pretty much negating the effects of tutoring in the first place
In my experience, this is one of the most common mistakes that students (who get tutored) make.

Unfortunately, many students have the idea (either consciously or unconsciously is another question) that tutoring is a substitute for home revision and school. There are exceptions where tutoring substitutes school (in cases where the teacher is doing a poor job), but it most certainly cannot be a substitute for self revision.

Tutoring is mostly a supplement, not a substitute.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I think it's the idea that you're paying money that you should try to get you're money's worth, tbh if you're not finding it effective look for tutoring that's closer or just axe it altogether. There's no point in continuing it if you feel it doesn't improve you're current sitatuion. You could always try going to the library after school and try studying there?

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Ok i've made a timetable, after adding each weekday up, i'll have a total amount of 5 hours studied (so 1hr each weekday) and a total amount of 10 hours to do homework/assessments whether it may be school related or tutoring related. If those bits are complete i'll go back to studying/revising content. So about 15 hours give or take a week (excluding weekends), is this enough or will i burn out? inb4ifthere'stimetobreathethere'stimetostudy (This is assuming I go ahead with the tutoring)

not too sure about how my weekend timetable will look like. i usually sleep in and catch up on anime usually AOT and one piece ;D

I think it's the idea that you're paying money that you should try to get you're money's worth, tbh if you're not finding it effective look for tutoring that's closer or just axe it altogether. There's no point in continuing it if you feel it doesn't improve you're current sitatuion. You could always try going to the library after school and try studying there?
I live close to a branch library and its funny you should say that, i went to it during the hols and i almost lost my shit after these kids came in and started screaming so i just packed my things and went back home.

fyi this library is EXTREMELY small

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I live close to a branch library and its funny you should say that, i went to it during the hols and i almost lost my shit after these kids came in and started screaming so i just packed my things and went back home.

fyi this library is EXTREMELY small
haha, thats the holidays try during school time it might help :)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
hsc 2014, why the f**k are people suggesting to quit tutoring? i think you should quit the tutoring centre, and switch to private tutoring where the tutor can drive to you. not bloody quit tutoring

iBibah

HSC
hsc 2014, why the f**k are people suggesting to quit tutoring? i think you should quit the tutoring centre, and switch to private tutoring where the tutor can drive to you. not bloody quit tutoring
3 tutors going to my house would be too pricey :/ I COULD wake up earlier, that way theres no distractions since no one is on fb that time. Doing past papers requires someone to mark it and i dont think my teacher is going to do it so i'd eventually have to go tutoring. or unless there are past papers completed with answers i could get online :L
3 tutors going to my house would be too pricey
too pricey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)