In an exam, can you write in dot points in an essay? (1 Viewer)

Abbiesaurus

HSC
It depends on the subject and the question. For Information technology we were told that it was okay to use dot points if the question said 'list the _______'

NoFaceValue

HSC
It depends on the subject and the question. For Information technology we were told that it was okay to use dot points if the question said 'list the _______'
Yes.

It depends on the verb of the question. If it says "List or Identify" then dotpoints should be fine... However, if it's an essay that says 'discuss' or 'explain' etc, then dotpoints really shouldn't be used.

Logey

HSC
If I'm running out of time in an essay question, can i write in dot point form? Will i loose any marks if i get my facts right?

I'd pretty much say you should never do that. Maybe some genius could get away with it in year 10 but its risky and not worth it.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
For physics and chem, go ahead.

For english, don't do it and instead write a conclusion.

For modern (don't know if this applies to ancient), you should've written a little dot point plan on the side at the beginning. I'd suggest writing a conclusion or mini paragraph instead.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
For modern (don't know if this applies to ancient), you should've written a little dot point plan on the side at the beginning. I'd suggest writing a conclusion or mini paragraph instead.
For ancient, it's probably alright for the shorter questions, but for the 10+ marks they'll expect essay style, and can take marks off it it's in dotpoints. At least, that's what my teacher told me. But if you're running out of time, getting down the information is the most important part, so go for it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For ancient, it's probably alright for the shorter questions, but for the 10+ marks they'll expect essay style, and can take marks off it it's in dotpoints. At least, that's what my teacher told me. But if you're running out of time, getting down the information is the most important part, so go for it.

Markers do NOT take marks off - they simply don't award them.

It isn't like - this is worth 24/25 but as the last paragraph is in point form I will take off 2 marks but more - if it is worth 24/25 including the dot points it will get the 24/25.

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
write an essay plan on the 1st page of the booklet like this (this is an english one)

- intro (introduce whatever your going to talk about)

- Contexts (authors context, context of the text)

- Text 1}
Unless you can sucessfully mould them together and link them to the question all in one go
- Text 2}

- Sum up and conclusion (restate key points of your arguement)

This is what my english teacher told me.. some may not agree

Subjects like business services they rather you write reports than essays

Intro

Key Points
-
-
-
-
-

Conclusion

HSC
Well I don't think so. In topics like Business and Economics we are encouraged too, to a certain extent. But in subjects like English, I don't think so :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)