'In the skin of a lion'..post your qs here (doesn't look like many ppl r doing it :o) (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure whether this is relevant but the fragmented structure and time-jumps remind me a bit of the inconsistancies of the human memory.

Definately worth debating. Fragmentation is very post-modern, but you have to wonder sometimes about its exact purpose - or is Ondaatje just messing with our heads?

HSC
N/A
Actually, for the record, if anyone else is like me and a lame studier, add me to msn (pm me for email addy) and we can "talk english texts" :D

daviet

HSC
hey guys, my teacher is making us talk about what the title names of the chapter represent, I have no clue :(

HSC
N/A
lol.

God it's painful looking over this thread, but anyway.

I could be wrong but I think "In the skin of a lion" is a reference to the Epic of Gilgamesh which appears as a kind of epitaph? at the beginning. The Epic of Gilgamesh of course, being this story about a hero who's out on some huge quest, but ultimately fails (kinda like patrick).

daviet

HSC
hiya, thanks! i also have to do research on cubism, something tells me that this relates to the text's structure?

HSC
N/A
cubism? Never covered that in relation to ITSOAL... in fact not even sure what cubism is (only vague memory of it is studying it briefly in Yr 8 Visual Arts).

Although you might be referring to the fragmentation in the book? eg time jumps?

anonymous199999

HSC
Re: 'In the skin of a lion'..post your qs here (doesn't look like many ppl r doing it

anyone of you have any notes on the insect motif. they would be much appreciated

HSC
N/A
Re: 'In the skin of a lion'..post your qs here (doesn't look like many ppl r doing it

there's an insect motif?

I'm dying to hear about this one too...

anonymous199999

HSC

yeh there is and i ahve to write a five minute speech on it. this is fucked up i wanna die

kooltrainer

HSC

hey, can anyone help me with readings.. im struggling to get liberal humanist and especially the post modernism reading of the book.. any suggestions for a typical reading that i should do? my teacher said marxists does not cover all aspects of book (ie, alice, hana, clara and gilgamesh) so its better to have something else to back it up..
post modern is quite complicated.. i know that ITSOAL has a post modernist nature that denies universal truth. Fragmented nature illustrates this. But dunno what a post modernist support and how its view would help us value the book more..

which reading would epic of gilgamesh tie in with?
this is my exam question btw : "in deciding whether a text has value, we must accept / reject views from others".
share your thoughts here people..
any help apreciated =)

Last edited:

kooltrainer

HSC

doesnt look like many ppl's doing this text =/ daym

charlezzzard

HSC
postmodernist reading mainly deals with the structure of the novel, it ties with the connection between the book and the epic of gilgamesh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)