"In the Wild" - Thesis (1 Viewer)

Miffy

Hey I really need help with a thesis to back up what i am saying in my essay on bnw & br. Has anyone got any ideas i could use in a thesis of "in the wild"?

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Both texts predict dystopic societies of the future, and portray issues strikingly close to current events. Eg: Overcrowding, pollution, mans desire to control nature etc.

ccgs_jono

mmmmm....

depends on what texts within the elective you are studying, see the 'Wilds' depicted in 'Blade Runner' and '1984' are significantly different to those depicted in 'An Imaginary Life' and Wordsworth's Poetry...etc. etc.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well, i do ww/malouf, not bnw/br - but i guess the basic concept is still the same - how does humanity interact with the wild, what experiences are gained from being in the wild, how does city life compare to country life, what benefits come form the wild (spiritual, physical, emotional etc.). most importantly, remember to look at context and values - ie. dont know how this translates for brave new world/bladerunner, but in ww/malouf u look at romanticism for ww and ancient rome/first Australian settlers for malouf.

classics_chic

HSC
What is really wild about this situation? Is it the environment or the people in it? How much wildness do you need in your existence to be "natural"? What is natural? What is human? Who is human in these texts?

Basically focus upon the idea of humanity, the way that it's used/ abused (especially in BNW, but also BR) and also who's human and who's not (both texts)

Answer these questions, put the responses together in a coherent way, and you have a thesis (which will be yours!)

cephren

...look I dont know about having a so-called THESIS as I was under the impression that they were not a requirement... my advice is to - in the case of BR:DC and BNW - is to remember that these 2 texts are distinguished from the rest of the texts used 4 this MODULE in that you are required to show you understand the relationship between humanity and the ABSENCE of nature... whether it seems obvious or not... this is a large component of what the markers are looking for... DYSTOPIC qualities in both texts + they are usually looking for an evaluation of which is better while saying that both texts are forewarnings, precautionary tales... in fact if u want a thesis - my idea would be to go along the lines of "THE TEXTS SERVE AS CAUTIONARY TALES TO WARN FUTURE GENERATIONS..." you finish the sentence...

...if ive been of no help... then uve lost nothing but ive gained the most study ive ever done...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
You must wind the following things into this module:

- Ideas/Issues
- Context
- Techniques

All of these elements must appear as this is a contextual study.

Generally my thesis is that the concerns of humanity in regards to its relationship with nature remain broadly similar across time, however, context shapes the specific issues and the techniques used by the composer to convey these ideas.

Then you can really get into similarities and differences in the issues and techniques used e.g. BNW does not make any mention of the environment (in terms of pollution etc) however, in BR it is an enormous concern and pervades the text.

On the other hand the commodification of humans is a concern in both texts. BNW shows this though eugenics (and psudo-scientific jargon etc) and this is related to the prevailing scientific thought at the time but due to scientific advancements since then, BR shows this through the replicants blah blah blah.

And then of course you wind all that into how all of these show a separation between humanity and nature developing and the foreboding message advanced by these two texts or something.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
you need to talk about how both texts explore how mans relationship with the natural world has been severed by science and technology. in BNW it is for control and social stability while in BR it is for commerce.
then talk about how the contexts are different and how the loss of nature has thefore got different consequences.
BNW- the production of superficial human beings
BR-the hardening of human beings

toreshi

HSC
· The values of the society if the composer was/is projected into the future to create a more plausible/realistic setting/world.

· Portrayals of In the Wild are shaped by the contexts in which it was written

· Composers of the texts monopolized on the values of their society to increase the impact or appeal of their vision/prediction of the future.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
a thesis?

You writing a 10,000 word research essay upon a particular topic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)