In your opinion what is the most important subject? (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
In order to collect all those thoughts of the relevance of different subjects - what is the most important subject?

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
Re: What is the most important subject?

Humanities
Maths
English (Maths and English should be equal)
Home Economics stuff (don't really know what they do) lol

huhwotsthis

HSC

Maths and sciences.
Histories are kind of useless these days, of course if they're your interest, you would choose them for the best uai chances.
Social sciences are kind of useless too, you can get into courses related to them without doing them in yr 11 and 12.
Science and maths definitely.
I kind of regret not doing another science, or 2 unit maths, but there are bridging courses available if I need it.
All in terms of uni of course.

notaaron

HSC

at school: english

In relavence to life: Probably general maths/Some sought of social science

huhwotsthis

HSC

Lol I chose my subjects based on relevance to life.:*

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Well for me it would be maths this year... because its the only thing that actuall counts. But next year, if I do well enough in maths to keep my score then probably English would be the most important subject (because its the only compulsory subject... gotta be important in some way)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

I think English is most relevent in life.
Successful people are people who are able to express themselves and articulate ideas, it all depends on your career but in every career you go for a job interview and without some fundamental english skills you just wont get the job.
I think subjects like 4u Maths or even Mathematics wont be looked at again by most people after school (unless you become a maths teacher of course!)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

english in terms of the hsc because it is the only 2 units that must count towards your UAI

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

English is not very important because it doesn't teach you anything apart from how to plagarise off sparknotes, and how to read shakespere/poetry, both of which are completely useless skills. If you want to learn how to communicate effectively and articulate yourself, go write essays and do presentations in economics.

Yr 11/12 English is completely useless, the should have left it at Yr10 SC.

4U math is recomended for many degrees allowing you to get a well paid job. Acturial studies and engineering are two examples of subjects heavily math orientated.

Mining engineering has an average salary of 120k on your first year out of uni, where as Medicine and Law are slightly under 100k.

HSC
N/A

foram said:
English is not very important because it doesn't teach you anything apart from how to plagarise off sparknotes, and how to read shakespere/poetry, both of which are completely useless skills. If you want to learn how to communicate effectively and articulate yourself, go write essays and do presentations in economics.

4U math is recomended for many degrees allowing you to get a well paid job. Acturial studies and engineering are two examples of subjects heavily math orientated.

Mining engineering has an average salary of 120k on your first year out of uni, where as Medicine and Law are slightly under 100k.
Hey aren't you the guy who was all like "I'm super cool at english I don't see why my teachers don't see that" and typed up that essay full of filler on here? Might want to rethink that plagiarism.

Most important subject/relevant to life: I'd say something like economics.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

-WaxingLyrical- said:
Hey aren't you the guy who was all like "I'm super cool at english I don't see why my teachers don't see that" and typed up that essay full of filler on here? Might want to rethink that plagiarism.

Nup not me.

michael1990

HSC

-WaxingLyrical- said:
Agreed, the majority of humanities.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

foram said:
You only say that cause you arent that good at english. If English wasnt compulsary people could come to Australia with very basic speaking skills in English and get UAI's of 100. Thats why 20% of the Assessment marks in English have to be a speaking task I think.

Imo thats why English is compulsary.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Sarah182 said:
You only say that cause you arent that good at english. If English wasnt compulsary people could come to Australia with very basic speaking skills in English and get UAI's of 100. Thats why 20% of the Assessment marks in English have to be a speaking task I think.

thats no good that means that they are trying to disadvantage students from no english speaking backgrounds

btw whats wrong with migrants getting a UAI of 100

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

kaz1 said:
thats no good that means that they are trying to disadvantage students from no english speaking backgrounds

btw whats wrong with migrants getting a UAI of 100
Ezactly, Australia is so racist.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I may not completely agree with Foram, however, I strongly agree with Foram about being 4 Unit Maths being the most important. PERSONALLY, 4 Unit Maths (or maths in general) is my most important subject. Then I will rank English as my second most important subject as it must count towards my UAI.

If you are talking about relevance, it may vary depending on what career path you wish to take. For example, 4 Unit Maths is an assumed knowledge or recommended study for actuarial degree whereas Advanced English is recommended or assumed knowledge for speech pathology. So we should not actually discuss about all these relevances as they vary according to different path.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Sarah182 said:

Nah. I don't think many Asians would get UAI of 100 even if English was not compulsory as you basically have to write in ENGLISH in other subjects.

However, I completely agree with what you said there. English is important as it strengthens the basic skills that we all should possess and ensures that we know what we are saying and writing.

P.S. On that immigrant thing, I strongly believe that Asians who work hard will get marks that they deserve. Even if English was not compulsory, if they don't work hard, they would never get UAI of 100. Therefore, if you are hard-working, regardless of English being compulsory or not, you will definitely succeeed and that's the view I hold (hope that view will come true for me as well :D).

Aplus

HSC
N/A

English is important in helping you think like an individual and in learning to truly express your own ideas and opinions.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Aplus said:
English is important in helping you think like an individual and in learning to truly express your own ideas and opinions.
Also, in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Legal, Economics, Geography and the two Histories (there's probably a whole heap more), you need to know how to write a (or many) cohesive paragraphs. Especially for the questions that begin with "analyse", "evaluate", "describe", "distinguish", "compare" etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)