In your opinion, will a CompSci double degree make me more employable in ElecEng? (1 Viewer)

In your opinion, will adding CompSci to an ElecEng degree improve career prospects?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
Please post opinions.

I'm in first year second semester, and I'm on the co-op so adding CompSci to my Elec Eng degree will probably mean overloading by one course each semester. If you answered yes, do you think it's worth it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if it interests you, why not.

depends if you can handle overloading though.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
im going to commend this guy for attempting the two biggest mindfuck degrees around.
as the world moves on to electronics, automation and minitarisation, elec eng and comp sci are an awesome combo.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
computer science isn't a very hard degree if you are already a bit of a computer nerd, because it will come quite naturally. everyone i know who does elec/comp sci reckon that elec is much harder. (i think this due in part to the generally appalling quality of the elec eng lecturers...)

im not sure that comp sci would make you more employable as an electrical engineer, but if it interests you then by all means go ahead. it definitely won't make you any LESS employable.

who knows, by the end you might want to get a job in a computer related field

good luck!!

edit: don't overload, if you want the double degree then just add an extra year to your program. i would only suggest overloading if you were combining eng with something easy like arts or commerce. talk to co-op and they may let you add another yr, i don't think co-op is keen on overloading

Last edited:

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Im pretty sure co-op only allows you to do a single degree.

Friend of mine does chem eng/comp sci and applied for co-op, he was offered the scholarship with the condition that he drops the comp sci.

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
No - the only reason they stop you from doing doubles is if it interferes with your IT. The reason it would interfere with your IT is because they assume that if you do a double, then the order of your courses would be mixed around, and when you get to IT you won't have the same amount of knowledge in your field as somebody who just did a pure degree.

So my options are to either overload, or chuck ALL the compsci courses into another year and leave eleceng as is (I'm not sure if this is desirable, or even possible, because I'm assuming with doubles they arrange your courses so they compliment each other).

I did talk to my co-op co-ordinator and he encouraged me to overload (apparently 36 units has been done before. what. the. fuck.) I'd go for 30 though, but I'd have to keep it up EVERY semester for the next four years.

im going to commend this guy for attempting the two biggest mindfuck degrees around.
as the world moves on to electronics, automation and minitarisation, elec eng and comp sci are an awesome combo.
LOL Uncle, this post was discouraging and encouraging at the same time, I don't know what to think!

If anybody else has opinions, please post! I'm still tossing up whether or not it's worth the effort.

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
well I think its just a matter of what you like more and what do you want to do?

are you enjoying Comp courses over Elec courses? do you want to work with computers (more than a standard ElecEng) when you finish?

so basically whats the motivation?

(do not that co-ops dont have much trouble getting employed when they graduate)

elseany

HSC
hey,

I'm currently in elec eng, im transferring this semester to elec eng/comp sci, but i've spoken to people at the school office and have it all organised. If you do go ahead and want to pick it up (which, from what i gather you should only do for your own personal interest and not for 'employability') then you should double check your coop terms, because i'm fairly sure theres a strict policy on no double degrees.

The only thing the /comp sci changes about the course is that in your first year you MUST do higher computing (since its a comp sci core) and then instead of doing gen eds you take the other comp sci cores and then in your 4th year you have one full year of only comp sci subjects. Since the degrees are so similair it doesnt change the elec part of the degree at all, the only thing is you fall behind a year in the 4th year, so that might be something to look into for your coop.

have a skim through this:
http://www.ee.unsw.edu.au/progrms/PDF/3725New.pdf

its the course outline for elec eng/science, which is what computer science falls under, it gives you the timeline of when you will be doing each subject. This is the one for the vanilla elec eng course:
http://www.ee.unsw.edu.au/progrms/PDF/3640New.pdf

good luck with everything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)