Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

Emly

E.T
HSC
what did you think?

the creative response was great, my prepared story fit perfectly :)

ran out of time on teh essay though, so that sucked, had to breifley cover jane eyre, oh well
good question

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
I loved the creative question, though I was upset I didn't get to talk about my freak circus *sad face* I did, however, get to use the word 'bastard' repeatedly. Only because one of the characters was an illegit child. Woot!

The essay question really annoyed me though. So Ijust wrote my essay and referred to social and psychological changes a few times. Oh well.

tepanyaki

HSC
Dont worry i did the exact same thing, just wrote my essay and chucked in "hence social and pyschological change" every now and then, but i didnt really think the question fit our parameters. im so used to getting questions based on how dominant ways of thinking, hence paradigms, restrict or whatever the individual, not the social and psycho change crap...so yes, major gay....probabably got about 12, but hopefully it will be my uncounted unit

Mel_b

HSC
I thought that, in a weird way, the essay question was so easy it was hard. Like getting a maths exam that had 'prove that a square has four sides'. Change is so obvious in the 19th century that it kinda doesn't need to be proven?

I thought the creative question was good, but I'm disappointed I didn't get to use my American civil war story. :(.

piccolo

HSC
i thought it was a pretty easy exam, especially compared to past papers. the essay question was just a generic 'write whatever you know about the individual and society'. and because change, or the want/need for change, was such a huge factor it was easy to just slip that in. the story was a pretty good question too but i always knew i was gonna bum out on that. for some reason i find it really difficult to write an individual and society story. but it was probably one of the best questions i could have hoped for. ovarall i was happy with it but im kinda worried cos im thinking that if i found it easy then everyone else in probably going to too and so everyones gonna get really good marks. but oh well. good luck everyone!

yummdogg

HSC
Yeh, very straightforward questions AND stimulus compared to last years one (a man in a shed, c'mon, doesn't give us I&S people much room)!
The creative asking for a narrative that explored dependence and independence worked really well, but I don't think it did for the post-modern elective; I just thought it's a bit of a cop out for the BoS to use the same question across the entire Module. My narrative was two point perspective...just worried that it might sound too similar to A Doll's House.

The essay question threw me off when I looked at the question, but psychology=ways of thinking basically and I argued that though my texts ('Pride and Prejudice', Browning poems etc) suggested and predicted the change in the later 19th century, they reaffirm the status quo which sounded similar to last year's question "[...]still think that freedom is possible, that is an
illusion created by you, not by me."

By the way, is it true that 'Individual and Society' is usually dominated by girls, because it seems that way! There's only one class of guys (about 20 of us) doing it at my school. The other 60 or so do Crime Fic.

HSC
I looked at the questions for it and almost died of shock at how good we got it compared to past years.
Use a snowy street as a significant setting for a nineteenth century text. That was really not difficult.

And the essay was a gift.
but psychology=ways of thinking basically
That's the way I saw it and tackled it. And social change: hell, if you can't write about social change after doing I&S you really haven't been paying attention.
I found North and South was brilliant for that question.

Quite happy with that exam, although I didn't get to write about The Song of the Shirt, which was one of my related texts, but I did do a nice amount on Crime and Punishment.

HSC
By the way, is it true that 'Individual and Society' is usually dominated by girls, because it seems that way! There's only one class of guys (about 20 of us) doing it at my school. The other 60 or so do Crime Fic.
We only have 60 people in our entire year, most of whom are deadbeats, and there are only two of us that did Extension 1 - and Extension 2, as it were.

But I do feel that the I&S, at least, is much more suited to girls. It seems not so feminist based, but there is much more scope for women to relate than their is for guys.

But, I can't help it if my teacher is still living in the 19th century, I just had to do what I could. But I do think the course should be made a bit more varied so that every elective should be able to be enjoyed by both males and females.

yummdogg

HSC
Good and bad if you're a girl, I guess. Talking to a few girls who did it, their view's pretty set on men as being the villian in the 19th century. Us guys tend to look at both the men and women, so it probably gives us a larger scope than those set on a very feminist attitude (not intended to insult anybody).

Our teacher was great, she usually played the ultimate chauvinist in the arguments and stuff and focused us on social stratification, individuality and self determination rather than the stock standard gender politics.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i have to say the creative was extremely ambiguous. did they want us to focus on maybe how street and domestic (there were houses) life was like in the 19th century?

blergh i ditched my prepared creative and went for pomo :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)