Individual in Society (1 Viewer)

vegemite

HSC
Yeah the picture was of Robert Falcon Scott, a British explorer, 2nd person to the South Pole. It was taken in Antarctica in 1911/1912 so not a 19th century text.

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
Ah crap, I didn't notice that was a bed in the background! I made out that it was an old mouldy cupboard that I was forced to hide myself in while I wrote to my sister (pretending the dude was a chick). I said I was newly married to a clergyman in bath, and focused on the hypocricy of the church.. I ended up leaving my husband and becoming an evangalist. I'm quite happy with it. Pretty much suited my practice ones exactly.

Kinda worried about my essay--- I dont feel that I incorporated the paradigms successfully. Ah well, they'll be lenient because its under exam conditions.

pig_93

HSC
yeah creative was shit
i didnt relate it much
only vaguley
i did an interview between mary wollstonecraft and germaine greer....
doesnt quite fit, does it??

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
I guess it kinda could.. dunno. I'm shitty though- our teacher told us everything had to be in 19th century form. Our creative, our set texts (of course) and our relateds, but didn't tell us any of this until around 3months ago, so we had to change everything. But from what I'm reading from you guys, we didn't have to? I'm gonna be so cranky if thats true.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i seriously thought the question was excellent....its was exactly what i prepared for for pride and prejudice, doll's house and my two related texts. bos was acutally no that bad in ext eng. it was a pretty good paper. i hope i can score over 70 for it.

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
I liked the exam - I could've said more in the essays etc., however opted not to compromise the ability to make sense :) My creative involved the picture in the way that it was my character's father (I decided to ignore that it was an anachronistic picture and pretend it was in the 19th century) and that his profession as a writer spurred her to be a writer.

Page wise, I'm feeling rather inferior to you people who managed 219372131 pages. Essay - 10 pages, Creative - 8 pages. Go team.

Texts:
Browning's poetry - referred to 'Porphyria's Lover', 'My Last Duchess' and 'The Laboratory'
North and South
Hedda Gabler
Jane Campion's The Portrait of a Lady

hysteria

HSC
courtnez said:
My creative involved the picture in the way that it was my character's father (I decided to ignore that it was an anachronistic picture and pretend it was in the 19th century)
that's what i did too...i basically rambled about how my character's father could write so many well-received plays while she could not, while adding in some ways of thinking....gosh my story was superficial - i'm going to fail creative writing

damn, i didn't notice a lot of things in the picture that i do now...

evviebaby

HSC
oops

omg i forgot to mention which elective i do for Q5:( i thought that picture was crappy... my elective is I n S n that pic is so not 1800's:( i wrote a letter to my wife about a novel i was writin.. and the novel was north and south
geez im heaps worried now i only write about 10 or 11 pages for the creative and about 15 for the essay:(

Last edited:

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
my one was bloody crap too....i wrote in the form of 3 letters, each at different stages of a couple's love life in the 19th century and the problems they face such as social structure/class, social conventions etc...(individual and society by the way)...woman being high class, man being really clow class...stuck in a dungeon (as shown in the pic...how stupid, i interpreted it that way). gay as, i reckon that was crap now come to think of it...i only wrote about 8 pages.

jynxe

HSC
I also used the old man as my character's father. I wrote from the perspective of a woman who recently got married into high society, who finds all the 'ladies' vapid and frivolous, so she's writing to her younger sister, urging her not to simply become a stereotypical Victorian woman, but to use her mind and be independent.

The man was their wealthy merchant father who encouraged them as children to explore their minds, and he used to write creative stories and letters to them when he was away working, which stimulated their desire to be individuals, thus being "pivotal".

What a load of BS =p!!

chalkie

HSC
Just stupid BOS...always trying to think of a way to screw us over. Personally i don't see the point of putting in these stupid twists......really im annoyed because of the legal exam and i think this was a pretty low thing to do. The BOS should really concentrate on writing questions that allow students to show what they know about a module - not who gets tricked by a pen not a quill. I can't see that they will take off too many marks...remember not alot had changed since the late 1800s and ealry 1900s....should only loose 2 mark at most.

Heaps mad bored of study.......such noobs.

tamsey bamsey

and now we celebrate
HSC
For the creative response I thought the picture washeaps appropriate, i used it as a point for which various pride and prejudice characters wrote diary entries about how they felt the picture resembled themselves...worked out well, and i even got to mention browning comparisons...don't ask. But yeah I liked the creative response as it gave me a chance to examine the plight of the individual through a marxists, a feminist, a realist, a daydreamer....
Now, what I want is Facts

Page wise, Essay - 8 pages, Creative - 8 pages. but hey it worked for me considering my complete lack of time management skills!

Texts:
Browning's poetry - referred to 'Porphyria's Lover', 'The Laboratory' 'The Bishop...'
Pride and Prejudice
a doll's house

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
evviebaby said:
omg i forgot to mention which elective i do for Q5:(

Omg I did too! Shit, does it matter? Like, do you think they'll be able to tell? I dated my letter 1832.. that should give it away right?

miapants

HSC
the creative was rather random... but i think the only reason they used that picture was because the dude in it was writing. the question said something like "use this lameo, irrelevant picture as a stimulus for a piece of creative writing about the composition of an important piece of writing". so i was ibsen justifying writing a doll's house, which is what i did in the trial too. except this time i threw in some CKY lyrics... for some strange reason. it's surprising how, when one ignores the fact that Dressed In Decay is actually about anorexia, the chorus can actually define nora's pretending. and nora and torvald's relationship ws a "razorblade romance"... bwahaha i hope none of the markers listen to good music, otherwise they'll think i'm a moron

Valeroso

HSC
study buddy said:
Ah crap, I didn't notice that was a bed in the background! I made out that it was an old mouldy cupboard that I was forced to hide myself in while I wrote to my sister (pretending the dude was a chick). I said I was newly married to a clergyman in bath, and focused on the hypocricy of the church.. I ended up leaving my husband and becoming an evangalist. I'm quite happy with it. Pretty much suited my practice ones exactly.
Hahaha, um, wait, you pretended the dude was a chick? Please explain.

- (And I didn't see the bed either - but in the exam paper the bed is pretty much obscured)

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
Well I didn't want to write about a dude.. cause it wouldn't have fit my prepared story, so I just pretended it was a person, not a specific sex... I just assumed the picture could be interpreted ambiguously, so I made him a her. Does that make sense? Or not? Because I havent been making a lot of sense today.

Valeroso

HSC
OH MY GOD! I just re-read the question now and just realised what the fuck I did!

"Incorporate the provided text as a significant moment in a piece of imaginative writing that explores and expresses ways of thining in the elective you have studied"

I underlined the word "imaginative writing" thinking that I could write a letter, but NOW I just realised they wanted us to pretend that we were writing a book? A story? ANYTHING? FUCKING HELL! WHAT A FUCKING STUPID QUESTION! Here I was thinking I aced both sections, but now I realised I fucked up Creative writing. My creative was a letter about a man's struggle with his culture and family expectations - absolutely NO reference to a piece of "imaginative writing". DAMN! There goes my fucking HSC...

study buddy

troglodyte
HSC
Wait, what? You could write a letter! Imaginative writing means anything as long as its made up, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)