indochina help!! (1 Viewer)

cosmicfire321312

HSC
Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions for arguments on the significance of the Tet Offensive for the North Vietnamese? (or how to enhance my arguments)

I've come up with so far:
1. Political instability after the Tet Offensive
2. Homefront morale and reaction to the harsh realities of the Vietnam War.
3. Soldiers became demoralised
4. Military and tactical superiority for the North despite having lower numbers, but still put up an intense fight (incld their Khe Sanh diversion)

Anaya R

HSC
Unfortunately I haven't studied Indochina much; what I can offer is based on my (limited) knowledge.
  • Consider bulking up point 3 - how so were the soldiers demoralised?
  • This source and this one suggest that the relations between US and South Vietnam were fractured - could that be something you bring in?
  • Perhaps work toward strengthening these points too through evidence.
  • In my opinion you only need 4 arguments in an essay. You can still get good marks if you take into consideration the use of both evidence and argument.
I hope this helps!

pinkrose68

HSC
Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions for arguments on the significance of the Tet Offensive for the North Vietnamese? (or how to enhance my arguments)

I've come up with so far:
1. Political instability after the Tet Offensive
2. Homefront morale and reaction to the harsh realities of the Vietnam War.
3. Soldiers became demoralised
4. Military and tactical superiority for the North despite having lower numbers, but still put up an intense fight (incld their Khe Sanh diversion)
I know this is a bit late!! But this is how i've done it - i use my normal reasons for communist victory + emphasise TEt:
1. Role of the media + anti-war movements. e.g. the photogrpah of Nguyen Loan Ngoc, how the communists held the embassy for 6 horus + Walter Cronkrite's speech on TV. I also talk about the Gallup poll of Feb 1968 and other examples of how the media began to turn from self-censoring = significant public disapproval
2. Ineffectiveness of US tactics -> this isn't directly linked to Tet, but you can put a sentence about how the overall public disapproval encouraged fragging, etc. This paragraph (for me at least) is about showing a broader view of the question by understanding that Tet wasn't everything
3. Communist propaganda + their actions throughout the war e.g. their tactics, the fall of the South, etc.

Any ideas for what the HSC question could be? I'm placing huge bets on impact of Khmer Rouge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)