Indochina question (1 Viewer)

s2ophie

HSC
I just rang the advice line about this question and the guy had no bloody idea. He tried to tell me that the french weere still around when Diem was ruling!

So seeing you guys are infinitely smarter and actually know stuff about indochina i figured i would ask you guys.

Under the key features, the second dot point is "sources, nature and development of the conflict in Vietnam from 1960

What i want to know is what fits under this dot point? Say you got an essay question "Analyse the sources nature and development of the conflict in Vietnam" how would you answer it?

Thanks

Oh the other question i asked (and he put me onto a guy who actually knew about vietnam for this one) was if American leaders were counted as nationalist leaders - and they're not

arls

Im not sure, thats a tricky one.. the sources nature and conflict thingy, but id say that its talking about the development of the war from 60 onwards... as in the nature of the war, how Johnson escalated.. the fact that the war was televised by 1967 should be

arls

Im not sure, thats a tricky one.. the sources nature and conflict thingy, but id say that its talking about the development of the war from 60 onwards... as in the nature of the war, how Johnson escalated.. the fact that the war was televised by 1967 should be quite important i would think.

but really and truly, you would not get a question like that in the exam!! I think its way too specific and way too difficult to understand. majority of students would be like what the fuck are you talking about? only sum would have 1/2 an idea.

talk your modern teacher at skool next week....

s2ophie

HSC
my modern teacher is in vietnam or france or somewhere!

i know we probably wouldn't get a question that specific but if we got asked to talk about a period prior to say 1964, this dot point would comeunder it and would probably form some part of the marking criteria.

All i really want to know is in your summaries what headings do you have under this dot point

arls

hey, to be quite honest i dont summarise the dot points to study... I know that i should but i find it immensly boring and pointless for me personally.. instead i do prac essays of every kind, ive probab done a layout structure of almost every essay there is on indochina and then i practice expanding them into proper essays. don't think i can help u on that one...

arls

try one of those excel study guides... theyre at the local libraries, usally pretty good, at answering dot points etc.

TastesGoodBut

hmm.. failure to hold elections (id at least mention it), then fear of communism got america involved, and i suppose continue from then - the tonkin led to increased involvement and things, the media, pretty much mention tet in any essay lol... i dunno

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by arls
try one of those excel study guides... theyre at the local libraries, usally pretty good, at answering dot points etc.
You obviously haven't been to the Albury library... you see, it doesn't contain any books that have information in them.... I reckon for this DP its basically stuff that came under other DPs e.g. fear of commies, french defeat, geneva, etc.. Nature of the conflict is like guerilla warfare etc. I think!

Lolliana

i had the same prob, the way i thought about it is, okay, i have stuff fro every other dot point, the dot point your reffering to is a bit like asking 'so tell us eveything you know about the second indochinese war....' which they wouldnt do

however, if the universe is really against me, and some days i truly believe it is, i would simply construct an essay using the infomation in my other dotpoints

ie- talk about failure to hold elections, infiltration from north to south, gulf of tonkin, tet, etc

Benno

HSC
ok what about this question, i hate indo china!

To what extent was the Vietnam war a war of Imperialism?

i relly dont get this imperialism stuff :(

nic

i think that it is just the formation of the nlf and how it lead to insurgency, the overthorw of diem and its repercussions like his failure to hold elections and the lack of land redistribution. also i think it might include the formation of the truman doctrine and things like that because that lead to the development of the comflict becuase the united states stepped up their involvement
hope that helps i am not sure if its all right but its around that time period

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by Benno

To what extent was the Vietnam war a war of Imperialism?
I think you could talk about America being imperialist by having the puppet Diem regime... perhaps you could say America was being imperialist by becoming involved because they were attempting to influence the politics of a country which in reality did have many links or much influence on America... due of course to the fear of nasty communism and the Domino Theory....

Definition of Imperialism courtesy of dictionary.com:
The policy of extending a nation's authority by territorial acquisition or by the establishment of economic and political hegemony over other nations.

*hegemony means dominance (Soph... hehe...)

So America was being imperialist by asserting their dominance over Vietnam. E.g. America's insistance that it be divided at Geneva, failure to hold elections, Diem regime, Diem's assasination...

Also the Americans were being somewhat Imperialist with their involvement in Cambodia as well... Lon Nol was US-backed...

I hope this helps a little.

Benno

HSC
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh i hate indochina!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :( :( :( :( i cant take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

look at this stupid question!!!!!!

Explain why it was so necessary for the governments of south vietnam to have support of the US in the period 1960-73

all i can think of is
-Geneva- Sth needed US support to stay sepreate from Nth
-Us theorys Domino theory, policy of containment made us want to help
steps to increase of invlovment
-Advisors to train ARVN
-US invested million $$ to Sth which it came to rely on. Bulit up the ARVN
-Diem lost US support due to him createing a dictatorship

ahhh what else? why did Sth need US support dam i hate Indochina :'( :(

s2ophie

HSC
*the US support fed the corrupt south vietnamese governments
*The US continued to prop up weak governments,w ithout the US support, the governments would have been overthrown more
*You could use Diem's overthow as an example of the NEED for US support. Diem had US support but He abused this support. He ignored calls by the US for change and the removal of Nhu and this led to the US realising that they had to get rid of him. When the Saigon Generals approached the ambassador to South Vietnam with plans for a coup ( Ithink it was Henry CAbot Lodge, i'm not sure) they were told that the americans would not stop them. Had Diem done as the US asked, he probably would have lived longer!
*The question says to 1973 so you would need to talk about Thieu and Ky as leaders
*Also the South needed the weapons and technology the US bought, otherwise they would have been taken over quickly and there would be no Sth Vietnamese govt!

HSC
that nasty broad 'tell us everything u can about the second war' may well get asked- they might end up asking you to consisely explain the development of the conflict from 1960-73... i'm trying to answer question now and its a real bitch!

HannieStar

US involvement was neo-colonialism. It wasn't colonialism or imperialism in the "old order" sense, but it was still an extension of an outside influence exerting power over culture, power, politics etc...
There is a really great historian, that I have read for this, and his name completely escapes me.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)