• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Induced current (1 Viewer)

sasquatch

HSC
What is the direction, clockwise or anticlockwise, of the induced current in the loop of wire in the following situation: (Please see attached diagram. See Fig. A and Fig. B)

View attachment 12475

I say anticlockwise, but the answer says clockwise. The following is my reasoning.

As the current increases, so does the strength of the magnetic field (which can be shown by B = kI/d). As the magnetic field increases, a current is induced within the coil to oppose the increasing magnetic field (according to Lenz's law). To oppose the magnetic field, the coil must induce a current so that it attempts to reduce (oppose) the changing magnetic field within it (See Fig. C). From this the magnetic field must be in an outward direction within the coil. Thus the induced current is in an anticlockwise direction.

Can somebody check this please?

Last edited:

MrMe

Your Bestest Best Friend
HSC
I am quite possibly wrong but i would have thought it was clockwise due to the right hand push rule

sasquatch

HSC
You could be right..and according to the answer you are. Would you like to explain what you mean by it being clockwise because of the right hand push rule. The reason why im opposing the answer is because well for one i worked it out to be anticlockwise (thats obvious) and in the surfing physics book, theres a question which is as follows:

What is the direction of the current in the following situation:

View attachment 12478

The answer is anticlockwise, and this question "appears" to be VERY similar to the question i posted previously. So yeah im confused.... because I was thinking... "okay an increasing current means an increasing magnetic field". I drew x's all over the coil. At this point the question appears to be the same as the one in the surfing book, and hence should have the same answer (not my reason for my answer being anticlockwise, just extra backup).

del pietro

HSC
I would have put anticlockwise... since the induced current must create a magnetic field opposing the external magnetic field, according to Len's Law... Maybe the answer is wrong.

hydrobiont

HSC
N/A
del pietro said:
I would have put anticlockwise... since the induced current must create a magnetic field opposing the external magnetic field, according to Len's Law... Maybe the answer is wrong.
I agree

I also think the direction is anticlockwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)