Industrial Technology (Multi) Exam Guide (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
First off, let's outline what your mark is constructed of:

- Internal Assessments (make up your internal mark)

- Major Project (60% of your external mark)

- HSC Examination (40% of your external mark) - 40 marks - 1.5 hours

Section 1 (Multiple Choice) - 10 marks​

Section 2 (Short Answers) - 15 marks​

Section 3 (Extended Responses) - 15 marks​

The exam can test you on all Multimedia topics (including preliminary) and the Industry Study topic. That means you must know the following topics as outlined in the syllabus:

Multimedia Technologies (page 43):
- Multimedia Elements
- World Wide Web (www)
- Major Project (I doubt this will be tested extensively, if at all, they may ask to describe how to carry out a certain process)
- Intellectual Property and Ethics

Multimedia Technologies (page 41):
- Processes, tools and machines
- Multimedia Design

Industry Study (page 19):
- Structural Considerations
- Technical Considerations
- Environmental and Sociological Considerations
- Personnel Issues
- Work Health and Safety
- Historical Developments

All these topics and what is under these topics are listed in the syllabus. The syllabus is your bible for the exam, as you will need to be able to talk about any of the dot points under each topic.

Industry Study:

Industry Study is tested in section 3 of the exam. It will have 2 extended responses (one worth 5 marks for example, and another worth 10 marks). Industry Study is something that is universal to all Industrial Technology students (automotive, timber, metal, graphics etc.). Sometimes they will give the same question to all focus areas, sometimes they will be specific to your focus area (multimedia).

For this section, I recommend you memorise the syllabus. Yes, I mean it. They can ask for something like this “discuss structural considerations x business must consider”. You have to know what those structural considerations are from the syllabus, and the easiest way to be prepared is to memorise it all.

Here is a document with the Industry Study syllabus with acronyms for each topic:

Industry Study - Syllabus Document for Print/Study

The formatting and acronyms make it as easy as possible to help you memorise it.

This section is really a mini business studies section, although you must relate it back to ‘industry’. The question will tell you if you are writing about a specific industry (e.g. the multimedia industry), where you will need to specifically talk about that industry. Otherwise, it may not specify an industry and you can talk about any of the Industrial Technology Industries (e.g. automotive, electronics etc.). You will probably be more comfortable talking about the industry you studied though.

As with all HSC questions, notice the verb used in the question and keep that in mind when answering the question (e.g. explain, discuss, analyse etc. you should be familiar with these).​
Be precise and clear in your answers. The markers will probably not be English teachers (so don’t stress about making it the perfect essay/English response), but Industrial Technology teachers (and maybe even from a different focus area, e.g. timber teachers marking multimedia), so make your answers are easy to understand. Answer the question with every paragraph.​
Use examples throughout your response (remembering to link to industry) and constantly relate back to the question and scenario.​

Other Sections:

The rest of the exam (section 1 and section 2) are just filled with the rest of the topics I listed at the start. Know every single dot point (i.e. be able to talk in detail about any point) and you’ll be fine.

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking everything is common sense, because a lot of it isn’t. You need to study and won’t be able to cruise the HSC exam. The exam is only 40 marks, and that means every mark counts (and the more you lose the more your overall mark drops), you cannot afford to lose any (especially since Industrial Technology aligns poorly and your major work won’t be perfect).

Here are the only notes that cover the HSC multimedia syllabus (does not include industry study):

Multimedia Technologies Notes - these notes were made by Jacob Efendi (haven't found a better set of notes, or even a set of notes that cover the syllabus, these do)

Prioritise knowing your content over past questions at first. Once you have an okay coverage of all the content, start doing past papers to identify any weak spots in your knowledge (if you find one, go and study that topic/area) and to get an idea of the type of questions you'll get, structure of the exam etc. The exam structure changed in 2010, so you have HSC exams from 2010 - current to complete (do them all, there's not a lot).

____

That's my guide to the Industrial Technology Exam. If you have any questions feel free to post them below, or PM me. Also feel free to add anything. Will be posting another guide for the Major Project soon.

Last edited:

pigeon23

HSC
N/A
Hey thanks for the guide....how much did you write for each of the section 3 questions? page wise...

Flop21

HSC
Hey thanks for the guide....how much did you write for each of the section 3 questions? page wise...
I honestly can't remember, sorry.

What I suggest is going at a steady speed throughout all the paper (please don't rush though, do not make silly mistakes and read everything very carefully), and then when you come up to section 3 - quickly think about how much time you have left.

Then utilise that time left by writing as much as you can. Obviously make sure what you're writing is relevant, but honestly I had a lot of time left at the end and the question was really broad so I kept thinking of new paragraphs to write.

amiewalker2232

HSC
Dear @Flop21

When in the exam, would you advise to complete the sections in opposite direction? As in, higher marks need more time therefore do the the exam practically backwards?
I'm not entirely the best person in the area of time management am getting quite stressed on whether this line of thinking would be essential. Thank you very much for sharing this document and I hope that you will be able to address this problem for myself soon.

Sincerely,
@amiewalker2232

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)