inequality question (1 Viewer)

maths lover

HSC
i) show that for x>0, x>Ln(1+x)
ii) hence show that e^(nc2)>n factorial, btw (nc2 is n choose 2) for n=all positive integers.

i already got the first part, i simply tested x=1, and showed that it was an increasing function.
im pretty sure part ii is wrong since n would have a minimum value of 2, however after testing a few different ideas i don't really know where to go with part ii.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You have to prove:

Okay, now we note that that is equivalent to:

So if we prove that, we prove what we need to.

We know that:

We use our inequality, . So for example, if we set x = n-1, we know that:

So:

Which is the sum of the first (n-1) integers. We know the sum of the first k integers is:

So:

Which is what you want.

maths lover

HSC
You have to prove:

Okay, now we note that that is equivalent to:

So if we prove that, we prove what we need to.

We know that:

We use our inequality, . So for example, if we set x = n-1, we know that:

So:

Which is the sum of the first (n-1) integers. We know the sum of the first k integers is:

So:

Which is what you want.
thanks for that makes sense. however in your last line of working did u just assume that they were the same expressions by subbing into the calculator or did you somehow prove it.

Last edited:
HSC
It's just an observation - if you have n(n-1) in the numerator and you want something with n!, the natural thing to do is to times the top by (n-2)(n-3)...(2)(1), and to balance that we times the bottom by that also. The 2nd last bit is noticing that

maths lover

HSC
It's just an observation - if you have n(n-1) in the numerator and you want something with n!, the natural thing to do is to times the top by (n-2)(n-3)...(2)(1), and to balance that we times the bottom by that also. The 2nd last bit is noticing that
yeah i understand now. thanks to all who helped.

lolcakes52

HSC
In part i you can't just test for 1 and say its an increasing function, as it may cross for 0<x<1. You could just show that the inequality holds for the limit as x approaches 0, or that that is when the equality is, then say it is an increasing function.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
thanks for that makes sense. however in your last line of working did u just assume that they were the same expressions by subbing into the calculator or did you somehow prove it.
I know that

because that's the sum of the first n-1 numbers.

And I know that:

because if you simplify the RHS, you get the LHS

And I know that

because that's like... the definition of it.

So two things you needed to know: Sum of the first k integers, and the 'definition' of the C thing - knowing that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)