Info about HSC Dance course (1 Viewer)

E

Elenessa

Ok, It's subject selection time and I'm seriously considering dance. I'm a classical/jazz dancer and I coordinate the dance groups at school. What is the coursework like, and how stressful is it in terms of assignments, projects etc? This is the first year my school's offering the course so I'm a little confused.

cmc2533

HSC
Hey, I'm doing dance for year 12 this year... you will find the course work easy if you have a strong foundation in dance.... in terms of assignments its relatively good - you get 4 assesments on comp, performance, appreciation and major respectively plus the trial hsc and its not too stressful considering the majority of it is practical work... however to do well in the course you really need a teacher who knows what they are talking about and is thoroughly educated in the process of making composition and analysing work plus answering vivas etc... neways good luck hope ive been of some assistance!

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
As said above, it's not all that difficult.
You do need a strong foundation in dance though- that you obviously have, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Composition

One thing that's probably the most annoying/time consuming aspect of the HSC dance course is the Composition.
Having to work with another dancer (I'm talking Core Composition here- Major Composition way different).

You'll need to get your dancer early. Beginning of year 12 at the latest. You really really don't want to have to leave it till second term, when things start getting hetic with other subjects and what not.

For composition, you'll need to compose a two minute dance- with appropriate music (prefferably without words). You also need to teach the dance to another student, in your School (in certain circumstance with 'Special provisions' you can get a dancer from outside, but only rarley is that allowed).
You'll need to complete a Composition Journal- although it doesn't actually get collected, but if they need to question your composition- (e.g- if they think you've copied someone elses dance or taken bits from somewhere else etc, and they recognize it, they might ask to see your diary).

Composition sounds relativitley easy, but it's a pain. You'll need to work with your dancer alot, and make sure they know it back to front. Depending on your dancer, you'll need to modify movements.
The HSC dance course is based all around 'Safe Dance'- therefore, if she/he can't do something- you'll need to modify it for them etc.

PLUS, make sure you've checked with your dancer that he/she doesn't have any health problems that might restrict them from dancing on the actual day (Sometime in the beginning of August are the Practical Dance Examinations).
Just from experience, I had my Dance Composition exam at 9am, and my dancer arrived right on time- when I asked her too, everything was fine, until we did our warm up and she suddenly said 'Oh heck, I don't know if I can. I have a heart problem and if it doesn't go away in the next 5 minutes, I wont be able to dance'- It freaked me out MAJORLY, and seeing as she hadnt told me about this before I was frantic. SO don't get yourself into that situation. Check EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING out before you get started.

Composition
Dance composition for the HSC originates with a stimulus and intent. Students use abstraction and improvisation to develop motifs and phrases, which are then crafted into a work.
All of the elements of dance are used in an interrelated way when composing movement. The elements are used in relation to the intent of the work.

Manipulation of the elements of dance
The elements of dance consist of space, time and dynamics. These elements are used and manipulated to craft movement that reflects the student's selected intent for their core composition.

Generating movement
Movement is generated for core composition from a stimulus. The stimulus can be visual, auditory, tactile, ideational or kinaesthetic. From their stimulus, students develop a concept. From their concept, students improvise and generate movement that is abstracted from literal movement. The abstracted movements are then improvised further to develop a motif, which best represents the concept/ intent. The movement is personal and original to the composer.

Organising the movement
Organising the movement is focused on the development of phrases, which use the motif as their driving force. The motif is manipulated within the phrase to produce a clear statement about the intent. Phrases are distinct units of movement, which address the intent and develop the concept of the composition.

Organising the dance
Organising the dance is the crafting aspect of core composition. The dance takes on structure by linking phrases and sections to make a complete dance.
Phrases are linked by transitions to form sections, and sections are joined to develop a dance that is logical, original and interesting.

Appreciation:

Really not all that hard, but make sure you take time to actually study the work. Alot of students forget about the 'simple' 1 hour written HSC exam, seeing as Core Comp and Performance exams are in August and they spend alot of time on those. Make sure you don't leave it to the last minute! =)

You'll be studying a specific Dance Work. In previous years it has been 'Rooster'- a french dance companys work with songs by the Rolling Stones.
Your HSC questions are both Essay length (Two essay questions in the 1hr exam)
The second dance work was by Australian Company 'Bangarra'- called 'Ochres' - Bangarra being an Aboriginal Dance Company.
You'll study in BOTH artworks everything down to scene by scene descripitions and costume study, concept/intent, music, stage, dancers and background information on Choreographer(s) and company.

(Bangarra Choreographers: Bernadette Walong, Craig Pearce and Djakapurra Munyarrun)

It's not all that difficult, it basicially requires alot of time infront of the TV watching both dances and understanding them.
I wouldn't worry TOO much on Core Appreciation. xD
ALthough make sure you don't ignore it! =)

Core Performance:

A dance performed by you- on your own, infront of a pannel at a dance studio- perhaps at your school, or if your school doesn't have the correct facilities, a proper studio. No more than 3 minutes in length it's a dance composed by your teacher- sometimes the entire class will do the same dance.
It will be composed following "Safe Dance' Techniques.

You are NOT allowed to wear any form of foot wear, therefore excluding tap shoes, pointé etc.

Performance quality applied to the Dance
In Core Performance, students are required to demonstrate performance quality applied to the Dance.

Performance quality involves sustaining control and manipulation of space, time and dynamics in relation to the Dance performed. It also involves the demonstration of the quality of line, projection, commitment and kinaesthetic awareness which lead to a clear interpretation of a Dance.

Each student will have a different way of communicating his or her performance quality to the audience, with individuals creating their own interpretation.

Control and manipulation of the elements of dance
In dance as an artform, the three elements of dance—space, time and dynamics—are the tools employed by the dance composer to communicate his or her idea, or ideas to an audience.

Performance quality and the individual

Each body has a specific range of motion depending on the skeletal frame and the ligaments that support it. The way the muscles have been trained and developed influences the range of motion available to each dancer and the degree of control and the dancer’s ability to interpret and skilfully communicate ideas in a given movement vocabulary.

Quality of line

In the application of dance technique, students need to execute movement with clarity and to finish the lines of each movement. Choreography needs to suit the level of skill and an individual’s movement style.

Projection and consistency

In Core and Major Performance it is important to connect and communicate with the audience. This can be achieved by performing with a sense of confidence and a strong sense of commitment to the dance

Major Performance:

Another dance, on your own- on a different date to that of your Core Comp and Core Performance.
Genrally you'll have 3 seperate dates for Prac Exams. One for each exam.
Major Performance of course should be of higher standard. Still following 'Safe Dance' principles. You're teacher will be choreographing the dance. Suited for your own individual level of technique/skill.

Viva Voces:

These are SPOKEN 10 minute un-prepared speeches given to the examiners in each practical exam.

Core Performance/Major Performance:
You'll be asked questions based on the actual dance and techniuques. Genrally along the lines of "How does the dance incorporate the issues of 'Safe Dance'- etc.
The question will refer to your 'alignment' and 'posture' - they'll prompt you through it, if stuck. (they're uber nice! =) )

Core Composition/Major Composition:

The same thing as the peformance components. You'll be asked questions on how you related your movements to yoru original 'Concept' and 'Intent'. The question will be focused on how YOU created the dance to fit the various aspects and how it was suited to the music. Also including Safe Dance elements.

Major Appreciation:

This isn't in August, it's in the normal HSC written exam block (Usually the very last day of exams).
In Major appreciation you stick around for another hour after your core appreciation exam.
You'll be again asked for 2 essay length questions.
(suggested 30 minutes for each).
One question you'll be given ANOTHER dance to study- varying each year.
The other, question based off a famous Cheorographer- such as Martha Grahanm, Anges De Mille etc.

How the Exams Work:

Compulsory components:

- Core Performance
- Core Composition
- Core Appreciation

You must choose ONE of the following to add on as your 'Major'

- Major Performance OR
- Major Compsition OR
- Major Appreciation OR
- Dance and Technology
Option 1: Choreographing the Virtual Body OR
Option 2: Film and Video

- - - - - - -- - -

Agh, Sorry if that was kinda hard to understand.
I'll give you a link to a site that might explain things just a little better than I do. xD Hahaha.

HSC Dance Site CLICK HERE! =)

Last edited:
E

Elenessa

it's sounds really interesting and exciting. Hopefully the class in our school will go ahead!

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
It really is an awesome course. It's really what Dance is all about, instead of wondering off and doing all this random work on topics that might be linked by like... The tiniest detail and that are boring.
Dance is the best subject ^.^
Pity that it's scaled down so much.

E

Elenessa

Yeah, the scaling is annoying but there seems to be this theory that dancers are dumb (or its really easy); which of course makes no sense, because if you think about it, dancing requires heaps of memory and quick thinking, particularly if something goes wrong!

beksta

HSC
N/A
Ladies i hate to dispell the myth that is going around but Dance is not scaled down. Like all subjects it depends on how you personally do in relation to the rest of the state.

So if you do really well then obviously you wont be scaled down... Its crazy thoughts. There really is no such thing as scaling.. and the scaling that does happen has a strong relationship to your school and how they mark you

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
Actually- that again is another problem.
Dance is scaled down- it's a Board of Studies problem with the 'New HSC'-
Creative Arts subjects are scaled down to some degree- (with excpetion of music 2and extension music).
It's not a myth. There's actually a 'scaling' system.
It may not affect you that much if you do well, but there is still a scaling issue.

The reason for scailing is for the UAI.

The Board of Studies thinks that someone who does say...

Advanced English, Physics, Chemistry, Bio, 4 Unit Maths - shouldn't get the same UAI as say someone that's done

Standard English, Dance, Music, Art, Drama.

It's been debated and so on by students, teachers and parent-s it's not fair. But it's there.

More info:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

and here:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/capping.php

Last edited:

beksta

HSC
N/A
I dont want this to turn in to a 'he said, she said' battle. Im all for providing people with correct information.

There is a scaling system but as UAC state in all of their reports regarding it "The scaling process takes marks provided by the Board of studies and estimates what the marks would have been is all courses had been studies by all students. The scaling algorithm is designed to encourage students to take courses for which they are best suited and which prepare them for the their future studies. The principle underlying the algorithm is that a student should neither be advantaged or disadvantaged by choosing 1 HSC subject over the other".

It is about comparing you to your peer group that sits the exam with you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)