Info Days! (1 Viewer)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
It still was, out of 30 min, they wasted first 15 min about their reputation, industry links, no of students blah blah which was useless..i enjoyed the free fairy floss though;)
Sadly enough those industry links are enough to sway some people to choose them... ignorant people will unfortunately go "WOW" and pick a certain uni cause of their link with so and so (totally like no other uni has links with so and so).

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
fill me in with what was said. the usyd 1 hour business lecture was pretty good, i was tilted much towards unsw before it.
they basically started off saying why study at UNSW by listing how the ASB is the biggest business school, has a lot of students, has a lot of connections to industry, has an advisory council consisting of representatives from different firms e.g. PWC to review their curriculumn and opportunities to go on exchange.

They then outlined the different degrees you can study through the ASB faculty. They go onto explain the different degree e.g. Commerce and how it's a very flexible degree. They then went to talk about different options to studying business related courses if you don't have the required ATAR to get into Commerce or Economics. They explained the difference between a B Economics and B Commerce.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
they basically started off saying why study at UNSW by listing how the ASB is the biggest business school, has a lot of students, has a lot of connections to industry, has an advisory council consisting of representatives from different firms e.g. PWC to review their curriculumn and opportunities to go on exchange.

They then outlined the different degrees you can study through the ASB faculty. They go onto explain the different degree e.g. Commerce and how it's a very flexible degree. They then went to talk about different options to studying business related courses if you don't have the required ATAR to get into Commerce or Economics. They explained the difference between a B Economics and B Commerce.

can you elaborate on the difference between b economics and b commerce because that is something im trying to figure out.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
can you elaborate on the difference between b economics and b commerce because that is something im trying to figure out.
The main difference is the flexibility of the degrees. Commerce is a very flexible degree that allows you take any major from the Business faculty. Economics however is a more restricted degree that requires one of your majors to be Economics, Econometrics or Financial Economics. If you want to do a major say Finance in Economics, that has to be your second major. Whereas for Commerce, you can do a Finance major straight up and then do another major say from the Art's faculty.

Both degrees allow you to take majors from faculties outside of the ASB, however, the trade off for Economics is losing the option to major in say Accounting or Finance.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
ok thanks, one final question, if i do b of economics and major in accounting as my second major, would my degree be view equivalently by employers as someone with a b of commerce majoring in accounting

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
ok thanks, one final question, if i do b of economics and major in accounting as my second major, would my degree be view equivalently by employers as someone with a b of commerce majoring in accounting
I am not too sure on this one but I would assume so. Both degrees are pretty much structured the same. Although you might be asked by employers why you didn't take a B Commerce and major in accounting instead.

Marc26

HSC
What did they say at the UNSW business lecture on not having the required ATAR for commerce?

Oh and did anyone go to the USYD or UNSW law lectures? What was said?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
What did they say at the UNSW business lecture on not having the required ATAR for commerce?

Oh and did anyone go to the USYD or UNSW law lectures? What was said?
you can transfer after 1st year if you get a WAM of 75.

If you just want to do some business courses, there are other degrees (think Arts and Business and Science and Business) that allow you to do some business related courses. The atar for those is expected to be like 90?

For UNSW Law, they just explained why study at UNSW. They have a different teaching method and are constantly reviewing their curriculumn to keep it up to date and relevant. They talked about bonus points and how to study law at UNSW (direct entry, transfer and JD). They then got a student to talk about her experience.

J18134

HSC
Also was it just me or were the USYD lectures so much better structured and more informative than the UNSW ones?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)