• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Info on Christian Medical work in the 1900s-now?? (1 Viewer)

thepubmanbob

HSC
N/A
its for an assessment due and im just confused on that .... does anyone know any bits of it ... because i dont think im just sposed to talk on just christian charities and hospitals ... can anyone help?? im kinda heaps lost

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
thepubmanbob said:
its for an assessment due and im just confused on that .... does anyone know any bits of it ... because i dont think im just sposed to talk on just christian charities and hospitals ... can anyone help?? im kinda heaps lost
what exactly are you looking for?
Specific examples??
or information in general?

I would suggest the Macquarie guide as a start then hit the web and look at either some of the religious groups involved in medical work (eg Sisters of Charity and I think the Sisters of Mercy did medical work as well) or goto some of the religious hospitals to see their backgrounds eg SANS at Wahroonga (7th Day Adventist)

Is RNS a religious hospital? (cant remember)

RPA has a religious background (I think) as well

Also look at the hospice movement (eg St John of God at Burwood) as they tend to be run by religious orders.

Could also argue Royal Flying Doctor because of its links with the Rev. John Flynn (Uniting or Methodist...cant remember)

Hope this helps and remember to post up your findings to help others as its a common area in the syllabus

thepubmanbob

HSC
N/A
I just got given stuff to use examples such as St Vincents & SAN hospital (I am seventh day adventist anyway); Uniting church injecting clinics; Stop Smoking plans by SDA; Salvation Army; Sisters Charity & St Vincents drug programs.

It was emphasised that I had to show HOW all this (and more) influenced australian society, and I don't know how to do that.
Am I supposed to outline all of the christian medical programs and hospitals and then just say 'by the way, it had a big influence', etc, or what?

snapperhead said:
what exactly are you looking for?
Specific examples??
or information in general?

I would suggest the Macquarie guide as a start then hit the web and look at either some of the religious groups involved in medical work (eg Sisters of Charity and I think the Sisters of Mercy did medical work as well) or goto some of the religious hospitals to see their backgrounds eg SANS at Wahroonga (7th Day Adventist)

Is RNS a religious hospital? (cant remember)

RPA has a religious background (I think) as well

Also look at the hospice movement (eg St John of God at Burwood) as they tend to be run by religious orders.

Could also argue Royal Flying Doctor because of its links with the Rev. John Flynn (Uniting or Methodist...cant remember)

Hope this helps and remember to post up your findings to help others as its a common area in the syllabus

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
pp 50-52 of the Macquarie guide answers your question

undeleted as:
1) Only I or ac delete threads :p
20 It may help someone else

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)