Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
wendus said:
guys i went down to anu the other day and visited most of the colleges.
i plan to stay at burgmann (however expensive it is), just cos of all the super smart people there. but i hear bruce is also awesome.

also, never go to johns, unless you're a jock and like to get your liver pumped every friday night.
Actually, Ursies has the highest average GPA of any college on Daley Rd! You're right about Johns though, good call :)

Sammy-Blue

HSC
neo o said:
Actually, Ursies has the highest average GPA of any college on Daley Rd! You're right about Johns though, good call :)
They also have mandatory study time :read:. I'd friggin hope they have the highest average.

Evilo

HSC
wendus said:
guys i went down to anu the other day and visited most of the colleges.
i plan to stay at burgmann (however expensive it is), just cos of all the super smart people there. but i hear bruce is also awesome.

also, never go to johns, unless you're a jock and like to get your liver pumped every friday night.
oh yep, im drunk right now.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
They also have mandatory study time :read:. I'd friggin hope they have the highest average.
Really? That's retard-a-mer-ated. I remember when I used to play poker at Ursies, the Senior Residents would turf us out at 10:00, close up all the common areas and tell us all to go to bed. Rubbish I say!

Evilo

HSC
common room now closes at midnight over there.

aliyosufi

HSC
i live in sydney and im thinking of coming to anu how much would accomodation cost in canberra? either on campus or private?

aliyosufi

HSC
$300 for 1 room, are they serious. wouldnt it be cheaper for private accomodation

Evilo

HSC
you get 21 meals, water, electricty, washers, dryers and an organised social life. Pretty much all you pay for is your booze. It's not that bad of a deal really.

aliyosufi

HSC
Evilo said:
you get 21 meals, water, electricty, washers, dryers and an organised social life. Pretty much all you pay for is your booze. It's not that bad of a deal really.
yh but its 1 room the floor plan is tiny. and 1st yr at uni its not like im gonna be earning a grand a week.
what jobs is it possible to get as a 1st yr student in canberra?

blacksunset

HSC
go for self catered if you're worried about costs. and trust me, its much chdaper than other unis... some sydney and melbourne unis charge double that...
jobs are damn easy to find, so thats no problem at all. living off campus wil cost you more,as canberra has the highest rent price in australia

Evilo

HSC
aliyosufi said:
yh but its 1 room the floor plan is tiny. and 1st yr at uni its not like im gonna be earning a grand a week.
it's $300 a week, not $1000 - tbh i reckon you get pretty good value. I wouldn't put a price on your first year uni experience.

aliyosufi said:
what jobs is it possible to get as a 1st yr student in canberra?
retail, hospitality, intern-ships.

mels479

HSC
Hi all!
I made the trip up from Melbourne to the open day yesterday and since then a question has emerged in my mind, if we are renting the room on a 40 week schedule do we need to move out for the two weeks of mid year break? I know some colleges do that at other universities but i forgot to ask about ANU, and more specifically in Burgmann?
Also I think I've decided on Burgmann as my prefered college, any thoughts on this?

blacksunset

HSC
u dont have to move out... i know my college doesnt make us (b&g)... but u can if u want... its up to you really. u dont have to move out

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
mels479 said:
Hi all!
I made the trip up from Melbourne to the open day yesterday and since then a question has emerged in my mind, if we are renting the room on a 40 week schedule do we need to move out for the two weeks of mid year break? I know some colleges do that at other universities but i forgot to ask about ANU, and more specifically in Burgmann?
Also I think I've decided on Burgmann as my prefered college, any thoughts on this?
Best you contact the particular college directly. Most of the colleges don't require moving out over the break, but i think a system like this was implemented in one or two of the colleges, and i'm unsure if it is still enforced.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
mels479 said:
Hi all!
It's a 40 week contract (i just asked a burgmann student) - meaning you still pay for holidays if you go home.

Johns has a buy back system for a select number of places during the main break.

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
aliyosufi said:
$300 for 1 room, are they serious. wouldnt it be cheaper for private accomodation
Yes they are, deal.

Evilo said:
it's $300 a week, not $1000 - tbh i reckon you get pretty good value. I wouldn't put a price on your first year uni experience.
He meant he's not going to have alot of money :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ero

HSC
Hey all

I am looking at making Johns my first preference and I would just like to know what protocols i have to follow. I understand two references need to be sent to the college along with a passport sized photo.

But by when? And where to? Do i just send a general email to the college or do they want post or some other crazy system?

Is there anything else I should know about before applying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)