• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

injuries (1 Viewer)

froggy_chik87

HSC
hey pplz, i have just hurt my weak ankle and i have a dancing concert in lyk a couple of weeks, any suggestions of how to get the swelling down quickly?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
dont walk on it
keep ice on it

your body has to heal out of its own accord, plus eat well

and remember dont bloody walk on it

sharks05

HSC
Well from a physio student :) , best advice as stated for the short term is as suggested rest, ice etc etc... Invest in some strapping tape and before bed tape it up... compresses any of the swelling that will build during the night (note may reallly hurt). If you are able to perform with some of support such as tape or a brace I'd look into that too...but often not possible takes away from the effect :) . After your concert have a break and seek out a physio, weak ankles usually mean weak ligaments and there are 100000000 ++++ strength exercises to help stabilise your ankle for the movements you want to perform...
Good luck hope it all goes well!!

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
alternate between heat packs and ice packs
elevate your foot to reduce swelling

iamsickofyear12

HSC
froggy_chik87 said:
everyone else has said rest...why do you say walk it off? have you found that is the best way?
Walking it off seems to work for me. And I don't have the patience to sit around waiting to get better. When I tore a muscle in my thigh it took a month of walking it off to get better. Which isn't bad considering I couldn't walk at all when it happened. I had to be carried off the beach.

But just because it works for me doesn't mean it will for everyone, there's a good chance it could just make it worse.

froggy_chik87

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Walking it off seems to work for me. And I don't have the patience to sit around waiting to get better. When I tore a muscle in my thigh it took a month of walking it off to get better. Which isn't bad considering I couldn't walk at all when it happened. I had to be carried off the beach.

But just because it works for me doesn't mean it will for everyone, there's a good chance it could just make it worse.
yea, good point, as this is an old injury and it just keeps flaring up, i think that rest is probably the best thing i can do for it.

i heard on tv not too long ago, that if you grate a potato, and put it on the swelling, and then put glad wrap over it and make it into, and bandage type thing, it takes the swelling away quickly?

has anyone tried this...or has heard it works?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
froggy_chik87 said:
hey pplz, i have just hurt my weak ankle and i have a dancing concert in lyk a couple of weeks, any suggestions of how to get the swelling down quickly?
if it's in a couple of weeks, do what everyone else has said and rest it

and like said, ice it for 20 mins, then heat for 20 mins, etc etc, stops swelling and increases blood flow (or something along those lines)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
froggy_chik87 said:
yea, good point, as this is an old injury and it just keeps flaring up, i think that rest is probably the best thing i can do for it.

i heard on tv not too long ago, that if you grate a potato, and put it on the swelling, and then put glad wrap over it and make it into, and bandage type thing, it takes the swelling away quickly?

has anyone tried this...or has heard it works?
Err, can't say I've tried it, or even heard of it. Is this true?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Err, can't say I've tried it, or even heard of it. Is this true?
i've heard of it, havent tried it though. a couple of people (in the past) have said it sometimes works...dont know why though, just ice in injury as soon as possible

Trogie

HSC
froggy_chik87 said:
go see a doctor?

froggy_chik87

HSC
last time i went to the doctor he did nothing for me, xcept say "oh, seems as though you have sprained your ankle. You'll have to put voltaren emugel on."

he was no help at all...hehe, i think i am going to try that potato theory...maybe...

Trogie

HSC
froggy_chik87 said:
last time i went to the doctor he did nothing for me, xcept say "oh, seems as though you have sprained your ankle. You'll have to put voltaren emugel on."

he was no help at all...hehe, i think i am going to try that potato theory...maybe...
lol 7 years of medical school and the best he can come up with is voltaren emulgel?

Last edited:

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
all gps will say that, if you want it to heal a bit quicker see a physio, but it will still take time to recover, just dont run/dance on it for a while, nothing beats good ol' rest :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)