Insane work load (1 Viewer)

KGB!

HSC
bullshit, its a joke of a subject, but don't exaggerate that most people finished it in 15.
@OP- if you are finding first year hard when it isn't news flash maybe uni isn't right for you and you will seriously have to look at changing the way you are studying.

Business subjects are easy, and give you more than adequate opp to study and work, if you are only doing the former and still struggling then you must be really dopey
If you're so good then why don't you go and do a combined law degree and get high distinctions. Quit saying that uni is such a breeze, especially for business students because that's just bs.

spence

HSC
bullshit, its a joke of a subject, but don't exaggerate that most people finished it in 15.
@OP- if you are finding first year hard when it isn't news flash maybe uni isn't right for you and you will seriously have to look at changing the way you are studying.

Business subjects are easy, and give you more than adequate opp to study and work, if you are only doing the former and still struggling then you must be really dopey
Ok maybe not most people, but me and most of the people I talked to finished in 15, or maybe 20.

maka

HSC
In the 10 minutes reading time, everyone practically worked out the answers.

Most of my room left as soon as we were allowed to.

But after 20 mins, most people had handed up their tests.

Last edited:

spence

HSC
The exam was heaps annoying but, cause we had to wait an hour to leave

HSC
If you're so good then why don't you go and do a combined law degree and get high distinctions. Quit saying that uni is such a breeze, especially for business students because that's just bs.

i think i can trust what i know more than someone who has been at uni what 1 week. i never said law was easy as i know its hard to score well in law, i was referring to the fact that "business" is easy. If you are finding business hard considering the amount of time you have you are

1) Not working at all on uni
2) Retarded
3) Studying the wrong way

zer.0.ne

HSC
If you are finding business hard considering the amount of time you have you are

2) Retarded

loll im one two and three.. and still find business easy haha.. marketing foundations is the stupidest subject i have ever seen.. its yr12 business studies all over again.. and economics is yr12 all over again too =/

without even picking up a book and being one two and three, you could get a credit + easy!

KGB!

HSC
i think i can trust what i know more than someone who has been at uni what 1 week. i never said law was easy as i know its hard to score well in law, i was referring to the fact that "business" is easy. If you are finding business hard considering the amount of time you have you are

2) Retarded
You are one of the most rudest people ever.

Donski

HSC
N/A

WOW, HOW ABOUT YOU STFU?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
KGB, if your finding 60? pages a week hard to read for BLE, you really have to rethink your course choice. BLE is a law subject for business students, not even a law subject itself- you will be expected to read a substantial amount more when you are in your second year onwards.

ifsonotso, is speaking from truth. Studying Business does not require you to study 24/7 and not have a life to get a distinction or high distinction average, if that is what you want to achieve.

HSC
KGB, if your finding 60? pages a week hard to read for BLE, you really have to rethink your course choice. BLE is a law subject for business students, not even a law subject itself- you will be expected to read a substantial amount more when you are in your second year onwards.

ifsonotso, is speaking from truth. Studying Business does not require you to study 24/7 and not have a life to get a distinction or high distinction average, if that is what you want to achieve.
agreed, the truth hurts. UTS business degree is easy, 12 hours face to face the degree is far to easy tbh, if you cannot pass you have not studied its as simple as that.

mikael.cfc

HSC
aww :( im doing hsc this yearr, hoping to get into bach of bus/commerce or bach.eco

and ima a really slow reader :(

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
agreed, the truth hurts. UTS business degree is easy, 12 hours face to face the degree is far to easy tbh, if you cannot pass you have not studied its as simple as that.
While I'll agree to a moderate extent, 12 hours face-to-face means very little. That's what UTS has deemed the appropriate amount needed for a lecturer/tutor to 'guide' you. A student in, say, MedSci spends double that on campus, but a lot of it is spent doing lab work. Business students aren't allocated any lab work, instead, more assignments/homework are given.

But yeah, Business is piss easy (MPO and marketing especially-- Those subjects taught me a valuable lesson. I can not study, show up to classes only when required but never write a single word, do the assignments in the last few nights and still pass with a distinction). I found Economics to be a bitch though. Never could get into it (and subsequently failed... with 19%).

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
A smart student would be able to see what is important and what is not important, this is very important at uni. Most lecturers will tell you that you "should know" this and that and will throughout the semester drop hints as to what is important. So basically you will be forced to learn strategies for efficient studies, if not then prepare yourself for a tough time.

You could split a 50 page reading into 2 sets of 25 and read them in two days. If this is your first year at uni I would recommend you to read study skills handbook at the library.

My advise, read the subject's content and consult with students that have taken your subjects.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC

2) Retarded

I say 1 &3. You could study hundreds of hours in a subject and still fail in the big way.

Retarded, dont think so . Intelligence can be developed with very good self-discipline , motivation ... self-confidence, time management.... could go one and on...

Have to say that the business degree at UTS is pretty easy in comparison to UNSW or Usyd where the mostly go crazy teaching theory and MORE assignments.

zer.0.ne

HSC
read study skills handbook at the library.
Can you acess those over the internet??.. or do i have to physically go to the library.. cuz i havn't and don't plan on visiting it =/

Oh and something a bit off topic, sorry, but how do you get a display pic next to your name? like that goku thingy (i think thats his name).

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
Hi, I'm another BBus/LLB student at UTS - first year, so I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Yes, there is a SUBSTANTIAL increase in reading volume from high school to university, but most of the reading, if you really put your mind to it, can be done in about half an hour to an hour. Apparently the reading load will intensify with the introduction of law subjects, i.e. Perspectives and Legal Research and such.

I would not classify the workload as 'insane' but merely as 'insanely different' from high school.

For me, its not too hard, just alot of memorising and such, mainly of definitions and learning how to properly draw economic graphs.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
1st sem of business/ law is really easy
its coz you're just doing business subjects!
Blethics should be your favourite subject as its like an overview of main areas of the law
If you think your reading is a lot right now, just wait for second semester with Perspectives of law!

then again in second year
the reading expectations just get more and more

You really need to see whats best for you
some people don't need to read everything
others need to read everything
some people don't need to go to class where as I think its good to go to all lecs and tutes.
You'll work it out
everyones diff

I'm 4th yr business/law now
and I'm telling you I worked the hardest and did everything in my 1st sem
But I don't do everything I'm supposed to now :$

maka

HSC
I have to say that most of the above advice is correct,

I understand that the first semester does seem a bit daunting and it is a big step up from high school. This is always going to happen as you need to read chapters instead of 5 pages for each class.

One of the first strategies that I employed was waiting for the release of the weekly lecture notes before doing my readings. Simply, some lecture notes are very good summaries of the textbook that it means reading the text is not necessary. Subjects like marketing, accounting and MPO in Semester 1 were like that.

I think goan crazy's solution of going to lectures is another way to get around the reading. If you go to the lecture and understand it all, there is no need to read the whole chapter. Instead you can just clarify the key points that you didnt understand.

Good luck anyway. You will find out the best way you study.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
I have to say that most of the above advice is correct,

I understand that the first semester does seem a bit daunting and it is a big step up from high school. This is always going to happen as you need to read chapters instead of 5 pages for each class.

One of the first strategies that I employed was waiting for the release of the weekly lecture notes before doing my readings. Simply, some lecture notes are very good summaries of the textbook that it means reading the text is not necessary. Subjects like marketing, accounting and MPO in Semester 1 were like that.

I think goan crazy's solution of going to lectures is another way to get around the reading. If you go to the lecture and understand it all, there is no need to read the whole chapter. Instead you can just clarify the key points that you didnt understand.

Good luck anyway. You will find out the best way you study.
I was thinking that , perhaps we could open a new thread and post our study techniques?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)