Insert Opinion (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
How hard is it to accelerate into maths extension 2? I am currently in Year 9, accelerated into year 10 math and am currently doing/learning Adv. Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1. I would have accelerated to year 11 at the start of this year but last year i was to late to ask as the SC was in a week, and because you have to do the SC to go to senior, the only option i had was to stick with year 9 or go to year 10.

I have previously commented about our school and etc etc (http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=169078). Whats the possibility of me accelerating into extension 2, 2 year ahead? I really think i wont be taken seriously (lol)

undalay

HSC
you could.
But imo its better to train for comps/amo/imo. and do MX2 one year ahead (since ur already 1 year accelerated)

wish i actually did stuff in the junior years.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Should i just give it a stab and if its not working, drop it and do it the year after?

vds700

HSC
are you doing the preliminary or HSC atm?

I accelerated 2 and 3 unit starting in yr 10 with the prelim course, did HSC last year in year 11. Started ext 2 term 4 last year.

The extension 2 course draws on 2 and 3 unit topics from prelim and HSC. It will be alot easier if you have already completed the whole 2 and 3 unit course. Well thats what i'm finding anyway. High level maths requires lots of experience and practice.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Nod nod. Once you complete 2u and 3u, you find 4u much easier to digest. Since you get accelerated, you have time to try everything. Give it ago if you want and then can drop if it's too hard.

HSC
i think your best option is to complete the hsc courses for 2/3 unit and then do 4u after that.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Right now im in Year 9, i accelerated into year 10 and i am learning Ext 1 and adv.

Undermyskin said:
Give it ago if you want and then can drop if it's too hard.
Sounds like a plan

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
undalay said:
Heres a question.
Why do you want to do MX2 so soon?
Well, i love mathematics and especially pure mathematics. About 98% of the course is pure mathematics (i will include some of mechanics). I want a challange, maths extension 1 is... kinda a challange, its hard at the start for like 5 minutes but you finally get it after that. Math Extension 2 is so much better, its got so many interesting subjects such as volumes, mechanics and complex numbers. I want to sit in the class room and fiddle and play around for like an hour and finally get this click! Ahh that it, and race through the excersises with my new found knowledge.

Math Extension 2 may require me to think beyond memorising formulas or drills. I want to derive formulas because i love to prove (except congrugency :angry: lol).

Thats why i want to do MX2 so soon. I want a challange, an interesting challange

undalay

HSC
then why don't u take up my suggestion of amo/imo/comp mathematics.

It will give you a broader knowledge on mathematics, and is definitely much more challenging than the math you are doing now.

MX2 is nothing that special imo.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I might do that, but the topics in it dont seam that appealing, sure, i will give it a go, but im more interested in the math in extension 2.

undalay

HSC
kurt.physics said:
I might do that, but the topics in it dont seam that appealing, sure, i will give it a go, but im more interested in the math in extension 2.
which topics exactly.

edit: are u interested in MX2 i mean.

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
well i find the prospect of complex numbers interesting, with the 'imaginary' number.

Volumes also is cool because its not just, use pi times the integral bla bla bla. Its, hey, here is a triangular pyramid, use calculus to make a formula for its volume, or hey, here is a weird ass shape, rotate it about the x-axis and make a formula for its volume.

I have always been interested with classical mechanics in physics. And mechanics is a concoction of calculus with physical systems like conical movement and such, it, in my oppinon is great.

Integration - one of my favourate branches of mathematics, being calculus. So self explainatory

The other ones are pritty cool to, so yeh

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
YOU FREAK!, nah, man your in year 9 and you already want to do MX2?
Well you arent going to lose anything by trying it, Give it a go :).
Hey you have 4 tries to get it right :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)