Inspiration Thread (2014 cohort)! (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Doing EE2 is a marathon effort! No matter what your medium, it is a long crunch of writing, editing and copious amounts of Tea and Coffee.

The EE2 forums are a little quiet, so I want to help bolster activity and keep us in communication as you work on your little babies (or in my case, what was a devil incarnate come editing time :p)

Here is the place to share interesting writing tidbits, resources, how many journal entries you are writing in one hit, progress, your favourite sentence so far from your major work, ask ideas for direction etc.

I will share one resource I found particularly great come editing time. I had a cute copy with a Basset Hound on the front.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Elements-Style-4th-Edition/dp/0205313426

Also, a great Hemingway quote to reinforce showing and not telling for the writing major works.
"If a writer knows enough about what he is writing about, he may omit things that he knows. The dignity of movement of an iceberg is due to only one ninth of it being above water."

So introduce yourself here;
What medium are you doing?
Any progress or assessments so far?
How is it comparing to your other 3 english units?

Last edited:

starshine02

HSC
Re: Inspiration Thread!

Ok well hey guys!

I'm doing a creative story based around the idea of the urban environment/culture. I've had to hand in a couple of proposals but that's about it. And a few weeks ago I suddenly had this burst of inspiration so I've started researching like crazy and I've written a small draft introduction of it I guess haha.

I think I'm enjoying ext 2 more than all my other units because I kind of get to work at my own pace (not really) and there's just that sense of freedom in that I can write about almost anything really! Hopefully I'll use my time well so that I won't have to rush any part of it near the end :)

One thing that's a bit annoying is writing the journal entries because I'm not quite sure how much I should be writing or if whatever I'm writing is even relevant :\

But yeah otherwise it's a great subject :D

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Inspiration Thread!

Ok well hey guys!

I'm doing a creative story based around the idea of the urban environment/culture. I've had to hand in a couple of proposals but that's about it. And a few weeks ago I suddenly had this burst of inspiration so I've started researching like crazy and I've written a small draft introduction of it I guess haha.

I think I'm enjoying ext 2 more than all my other units because I kind of get to work at my own pace (not really) and there's just that sense of freedom in that I can write about almost anything really! Hopefully I'll use my time well so that I won't have to rush any part of it near the end :)

One thing that's a bit annoying is writing the journal entries because I'm not quite sure how much I should be writing or if whatever I'm writing is even relevant :\

But yeah otherwise it's a great subject :D
Sounds good!

Definitely ride inspiration bursts as best you can, because it'll compensate for any ruts you encounter along the way. I loved not having class and random meetings with our head English teacher.

Don't stress the journal too much, the actual work is far more important.

mty10

HSC
Re: Inspiration Thread (2013 cohort)!

Film/Video or whatever it is called.

Working on a Proposal and at 8 pages of journal now.

E. Adv is SHIT.
E1 is fun but hard.
E2 is fun, but will get hard sooooon/

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Film/Video or whatever it is called.

Working on a Proposal and at 8 pages of journal now.

E. Adv is SHIT.
E1 is fun but hard.
E2 is fun, but will get hard sooooon/
I am always happy to look over your proposal!

What texts/module do you have for your other 3 eng units?

Llamanator

HSC

Howdy.

I'm doing a creative writing story which I cannot explain well. (historic recurrence, inability of society to create a real utopia and how society as a whole fails to respond with ardor. I know, a crazy mouthful.)

My Viva Voce is next week so understandably I'm freaking out and printing out pages and pages of research non-stop.

I'm loving E2 (spare for the upcoming assessment), E1 is fun so far and I don't even want to talk about EAdv. to be honest - it's hard.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Howdy.

I'm doing a creative writing story which I cannot explain well. (historic recurrence, inability of society to create a real utopia and how society as a whole fails to respond with ardor. I know, a crazy mouthful.)

My Viva Voce is next week so understandably I'm freaking out and printing out pages and pages of research non-stop.

I'm loving E2 (spare for the upcoming assessment), E1 is fun so far and I don't even want to talk about EAdv. to be honest - it's hard.
Sounds interesting :) Good luck with the Viva Voce!

I loved E2, we didn't have a class so it ended up just being mad chats with the head of English haha ANd yes, I agree that Advanced English is harder than the extensions in a way. The number of modules etc. in Advanced can make it challenging.

framed

HSC

Hi!

I'm doing a short story suite, chances are I'll change my mind but at this stage I'm pretty fond of the idea. My progress has been pretty stilted but I'm at the point where things are gradually coming together which is really lovely.

My viva voce is next term so that was really surprising considering the fact that a lot of other schools have already had them. Plenty of time to prepare for it though, I guess!

Extension 2 is probably my favourite subject. I just have so much love. I'll start freaking out about it at some stage, but at this point I'm still enjoying it beyond description. Extension 1 is a little tedious but generally it's bearable and no massive complaints. Advanced is travelling acceptably, but it's definitely my least favourite of the English subjects. Admittedly though, I quite like belonging :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Hi!

I'm doing a short story suite, chances are I'll change my mind but at this stage I'm pretty fond of the idea. My progress has been pretty stilted but I'm at the point where things are gradually coming together which is really lovely.

My viva voce is next term so that was really surprising considering the fact that a lot of other schools have already had them. Plenty of time to prepare for it though, I guess!

Extension 2 is probably my favourite subject. I just have so much love. I'll start freaking out about it at some stage, but at this point I'm still enjoying it beyond description. Extension 1 is a little tedious but generally it's bearable and no massive complaints. Advanced is travelling acceptably, but it's definitely my least favourite of the English subjects. Admittedly though, I quite like belonging :)
Sounds good, I did two vignettes and a longer story for my MW.

And that's good you enjoy it, it makes subjects easier for sure. Also with you on English, though I was a modules girl all the way in Adv.

More Inspiration chatter:
What type of journal are you using/how are you recording everything? Did you beautify it? Or do you just fabricate a couple entries now and then? Do you have a resource list going someplace in it?

kaitfenwick

HSC

Hey guys, this is my very first post on BOS, so here goes.
I've elected the critical response as my medium due to the way in which I can distance myself from my composition and thus better accept criticism.
There's two people (including myself) completing the Extension II course at my school for 2013 and we're on equal marks after assessment task 1.
I thoroughly enjoy advanced, extension is a tad harder but incredibly rewarding and extension II is much the same, starting is the hard part. Anyone else struggling with putting pen to paper?

Hila

HSC

Hiya guys :)

I'm doing a short story based around the idea of death and guilt... Kindda dark and hard to explain :/

I have to write a synopsis based around how character development links to the plot due on the first week back and I'm planning on completing my first draft these holidays :)

It's different from my other English units!! I would'e liked Ex1 lots more if we were doing romanticism instead of crime fiction haha but I don't mind crime fiction so much. Advanced I really like! I can't really compare them because they are all so different!

OP, do you not have Ex2 classes? Lucky!

suprwoman101

HSC

I'm doing an analytical essay on the relationship between Shakespeare and pop culture (who here knew that the Lion King was written in the basis of the themes and relationships in Hamlet?) - explored through fictocriticism... I seem to have been in a rut for a while, but had a huge thing of inspiration and research last night and it's continued... So hopefully I can get a lot done before the next rut hits. I'm still researching - haven't written anything yet.... Feeling guilty - but I have created an ishy essay plan?

I've done my viva voce (got 95% =D)... Three of us in the class - two of us are tied first, then the other one a couple of marks behind. Same as everyone else - my journal is stressful! Not sure what to write, how much detail...Suggestions?

Other three units - surprisingly, both my extensions are in band 6, whilst advanced flounders in band 4/5. :(

oh and elements of style is under $4, free postage here:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Elements-Style-Jr-William-Strunk/9780486447988
under $9 here - same cover as the one on amazon
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Elements-Style-William-Strunk/9780205309023
(hoping it's the same...)

Last edited:

_BD

HSC

My medium will be a critical essay because that is where my strength lies. Our class is fairly small - only 6-8? We're varied in our mediums though with speeches, videos, and short stories which will prove interesting.

I have made very poor progress. I have an overall idea but I have no clue about how to refine it? Hopefully once i'm back to school, the teacher will be of assistance. My journal is going wonderfully, and I'm reading widely, but that's not a great help with my dilemma :)

We have the same teacher and roughly the same students for all 4units of English and they're all pretty wonderful.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Hiya guys :)

I'm doing a short story based around the idea of death and guilt... Kindda dark and hard to explain :/

I have to write a synopsis based around how character development links to the plot due on the first week back and I'm planning on completing my first draft these holidays :)

It's different from my other English units!! I would'e liked Ex1 lots more if we were doing romanticism instead of crime fiction haha but I don't mind crime fiction so much. Advanced I really like! I can't really compare them because they are all so different!

OP, do you not have Ex2 classes? Lucky!
When I did it I didn't, just the occasional meeting with our head of english that used to be super off topic sometimes. Good times.

I'm doing an analytical essay on the relationship between Shakespeare and pop culture (who here knew that the Lion King was written in the basis of the themes and relationships in Hamlet?) - explored through fictocriticism... I seem to have been in a rut for a while, but had a huge thing of inspiration and research last night and it's continued... So hopefully I can get a lot done before the next rut hits. I'm still researching - haven't written anything yet.... Feeling guilty - but I have created an ishy essay plan?

I've done my viva voce (got 95% =D)... Three of us in the class - two of us are tied first, then the other one a couple of marks behind. Same as everyone else - my journal is stressful! Not sure what to write, how much detail...Suggestions?

Other three units - surprisingly, both my extensions are in band 6, whilst advanced flounders in band 4/5. :(

oh and elements of style is under $4, free postage here:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Elements-Style-Jr-William-Strunk/9780486447988
under $9 here - same cover as the one on amazon
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Elements-Style-William-Strunk/9780205309023
(hoping it's the same...)
Congrats and sounds like a cool critical!

My medium will be a critical essay because that is where my strength lies. Our class is fairly small - only 6-8? We're varied in our mediums though with speeches, videos, and short stories which will prove interesting.

I have made very poor progress. I have an overall idea but I have no clue about how to refine it? Hopefully once i'm back to school, the teacher will be of assistance. My journal is going wonderfully, and I'm reading widely, but that's not a great help with my dilemma :)

We have the same teacher and roughly the same students for all 4units of English and they're all pretty wonderful.
Starting is the hardest part, I think the best thing I did was churn something out that was long enough and then tweak because so many people get hung up on the details and end up with only 1000 words in May and then freak. You gotta curb the perfectionism till editing time. That's when you become brutal (I cut massive chunks out of mine in editing).

Ohh and anyone doing short stories should check out David Sedaris' short stories :)

Moeeyy_

HSC

My work so far is an imaginative creative short story, comprised of 3 plots that eventually link in together in a massive pay-off. Each plot is guided by pictures that I go out in real life and snap, of interesting characters. My idea is really structured, and it's pretty much developed. I only need to write now.

What's funny is I was the underdog in the initial class of 6 - that's dropped to 4 now. The curriculum director was tipping me to drop it as well. I came first in the viva voce with 95%, but he still has me doing 12 units as a "safety measure" in case i drop a class, then drop extension 2 >< . I'm stuck in senior science for the time being.

My mw is really post-modern, with a strange style of writing and form. I'll probably have 3 stories running parallel on different columns, merging together by the end for the pay off.

I didn't like Great Expectations for adv, but the Real inspector hound was awesome. I'm finding adv harder than the rest of the courses though, but i'm LOVING extension 2 !

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

My work so far is an imaginative creative short story, comprised of 3 plots that eventually link in together in a massive pay-off. Each plot is guided by pictures that I go out in real life and snap, of interesting characters. My idea is really structured, and it's pretty much developed. I only need to write now.

What's funny is I was the underdog in the initial class of 6 - that's dropped to 4 now. The curriculum director was tipping me to drop it as well. I came first in the viva voce with 95%, but he still has me doing 12 units as a "safety measure" in case i drop a class, then drop extension 2 >< . I'm stuck in senior science for the time being.

My mw is really post-modern, with a strange style of writing and form. I'll probably have 3 stories running parallel on different columns, merging together by the end for the pay off.

I didn't like Great Expectations for adv, but the Real inspector hound was awesome. I'm finding adv harder than the rest of the courses though, but i'm LOVING extension 2 !
Sounds really exciting, I'd love to read it sometime :)

MaiaOV

HSC

hey,
Im doing poetry on obsessive love, but at the moment everythings come to a standstill and im just dying to write short stories! My teacher kind of pushed me into writing poetry instead of short stories which i find a lot easier to just...get stuff down on the page. Research is fun but writing is hard haha but i'll try and stick with this. Im just finding it hard to show how im using authors etc in my own style of writing. Journal entries kind of stopped during the holidays so i'll have to get back to that!

Jayden22

HSC

I'm trying to write a story where a man pays for the opportunity to kill someone but once he gets there and holds the gun in his hand he realizes he can't do it.

The novel then flashes back to how he got there and what he had done before, it then flashes back as he decides whether or not to kill the man. Focusing on good and evil, how they're not to dissimilar, what's right and wrong etc;

Moeeyy_

HSC

Sounds really exciting, I'd love to read it sometime :)
Well send me a pm, and I can show you what I've written so far and maybe you can give me some feedback :)

Otherwise, I can just show you what I've written at the end of the year haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)