Int studies at UNSW or MAQ (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ive been deciding between the two choices. Macquarie has a cut off of 80.05 which i can easily get into yet in comparison to unsw's int studies corse it seems to have less expertise. However the uai cut off is higher at UNSW (94.25) which creates the probem of either doing Int studies at Macquarie or doing Art-international relations at UNSW then internally transfering into int studies at UNSW. all opions would be greatly appreciated.

UAI 86.05

spence

HSC
I'd say do it at mac, because you can't be sure whether or not you will get the transfer, and this way you won't be doing a degree you don't want to do

X

xeuyrawp

spence said:
I'd say do it at mac, because you can't be sure whether or not you will get the transfer, and this way you won't be doing a degree you don't want to do
Er... But maybe you can be doing essentially the same subjects in a UNSW BA as a UNSW BIntStud. I wouldn't know, and unless you do, I'd say that the OP should check out UNSW to see what can can and can't be done.

In this case, kt's really irrelevant what degree you do, it's about a) the subjects (which can, for example be identical in a MQ BA vs a MQ BIntStud) and b) the recognition that you've done a named major that you want.

HSC
I know that if you transfer from one corse to another with a higher uai cut off you can only transfer after a year. they also compare your results to your uai which needs to be close which worrys me as my uai is 86.05 (91.05 with bonus points) and the cut off for unsw int studies is 94.25. is it a reasonable risk to do arts at unsw and transfer rather than do int studies at maq. in short is the uai close enough to take the risk.

spence

HSC
-Cake-or-Death- said:
I know that if you transfer from one corse to another with a higher uai cut off you can only transfer after a year.
Where did you hear that from. I'm 99% sure that is incorrect. The only courses I know that have that rule are combined law courses

HSC
Hmmm i knew there was something wrong with that. so its true that after a semester i can internally transfer from BA/Int relations to International studies if so that will be heaps helpful. also do they take into account my uai when i transfer if so is 86.05 a dcent one to be transfering with

X

xeuyrawp

spence said:
Where did you hear that from. I'm 99% sure that is incorrect. The only courses I know that have that rule are combined law courses
Yes that's incorrect. And it has nothing to do with the 'courses', it has to do with each individual uni's offering rounds. Remember that transferring of unis via UAC is effectively another offer; most combined LLB degrees aren't offered beginning mid-year. MQ psych is another example that I know off the top of my head which also doesn't give mid-year offers.

-Cake-or-Death- said:
I know that if you transfer from one corse to another with a higher uai cut off you can only transfer after a year. they also compare your results to your uai which needs to be close which worrys me as my uai is 86.05 (91.05 with bonus points) and the cut off for unsw int studies is 94.25. is it a reasonable risk to do arts at unsw and transfer rather than do int studies at maq. in short is the uai close enough to take the risk.
As spence said, that's incorrect. Macquarie may give mid-year offers for BIntStud, I don't know off the top of my head (generally you can check through UAC). As the UAC site says, most students elect to transfer after a year - some do it after a semester, some do it after a couple of years. You need to check UAC.

With regards to your UAI: It's really a decision you'll have to make. I don't want to repeat other posts on this site as they're complicated and do the job, but do a search on "NRSL" - which stands for Non-recent school leavers. Effectively if you apply for another course via UAC ("transfer"), UAC ranks you again as a NRSL (although they're now called NC[urrent]SL...). The NCSL ranks works exactly the same as a UAI, it's a rank based on your uni and school marks - do a search to see the exacts.

I'm pretty sure it's public knowledge (if it isn't, I found it on the street:p) that NCSL ranks are actually slightly lower than CSL ranks. Eg a BA at MQ might have a CSL rank of ~76 but a NCSL rank of ~70. I know it's not a huge difference, but it can make the difference between an offer and a degree at UWS.

If you dedicate yourself to working hard at uni, I think that your UAI won't bit you in the ass too hard. Otherwise, like I said before, I'd check out other options (eg doing a general BA at UNSW or doing BIntStud here).

:)

X

xeuyrawp

-Cake-or-Death- said:
Hmmm i knew there was something wrong with that. so its true that after a semester i can internally transfer from BA/Int relations to International studies if so that will be heaps helpful. also do they take into account my uai when i transfer if so is 86.05 a dcent one to be transfering with
Was typing my last message when you asked this, so I missed it.

You'll have to check whether:
a) UNSW has internal transfers in mid-year to a BIntStud degree (I'm not even sure if UNSW has internal transfers) and/or,
b) UAC does mid-year offers for the degree.

HSC
you guys have probably saved me heaps of time thnx a bunch. either way ill be doing what i want to do. at the moment it looks like macquarie. ill decide at the open days. once again thanks

HSC
actually one last question would you say that Macq and UNSW corses are both well recognised even though unsw's is probably recognised slightly more

Peartie

HSC
the Macquarie International Studies course (im doing Post HSC Euro Language) is actually not a bad course...dont know much (read anything) about the UNSW course so cant help out there but i can if you have any questions over the mac one.

The reason that the Mac international studies looks like it has "less expertise" is the fact that this year was the first year of graduates from this course so they are still sorting out kinks and what not in it.

On the note about internal transfers:

MQ does offer internal transfers / course beginning for Int Stud at the half way point, well at least someone changed from a BA to the BIntStud after one semester (in the first semester they'd been smart and done the required IntStud courses so they dont even lose a semester)

So hope that helps a little, if you have any questions give me a PM :)

HSC
To be honest the Macqurie and unsw int studies sound so similar that it was hard to believe that one was 94.25 and the other 80.05 but if they are the similar i think ill prefer Macquarie even though travel will be a pain. O yeh how long would it take from the eastern suburbs (Coogee) to macqurie by train or car???

Thnx for the help

Peartie

HSC
no idea about travel

but the train station inside mac uni *should* be opening this year

and dont forget the UAI is just a symbol on the popularity of the course - put which ever one you want as your top preference above it - you never know you may get in!

I got into Mac's with a UAI about 1 point below it from memory (it was meant to be 83 or 84 and i got 81.5 or someting like that)...the look at your subjects as well....

B

bekmay

hey i have the same issue but my toss up is between MAQ and UOW.

the int. studies course is new at wollongong, so i'm not very sure of much there except that UOW really appeals to me and i think my UAI is enough to get me in.

i kinda live in between the both of them although UOW would take a little less time to get to by car. not sure about public transport.

also i would like to combine B.Int Studies with law, which is doable at MAQ although my i don't think my UAI would allow me to get straight in, and from what i can tell wollongong doesn't offer this.

anyone have any advice or anything to add?

Nostalgia

HSC
So what is the workload in International studies like? I put it down as my 3rd preference after UNSW and UTS' Global/International Studies. My UAI is 86.80

Peartie

HSC
the workload is not 2 bad

so far ive had

1st semester: 13 hours
2nd: 13 hours
3rd: 10 hours
4th (in Germany) : 18 hours

likely:
5th: 7 / 9 hours
6th: 7ish hours + Internship

Thats the time IN CLASS at Uni....on top of that there is a few essays etc that need to be done - all in all its not exactly that strenous....

Nostalgia

HSC
Peartie said:
the workload is not 2 bad

so far ive had

1st semester: 13 hours
2nd: 13 hours
3rd: 10 hours
4th (in Germany) : 18 hours

likely:
5th: 7 / 9 hours
6th: 7ish hours + Internship

Thats the time IN CLASS at Uni....on top of that there is a few essays etc that need to be done - all in all its not exactly that strenous....
Is that 13 hours per week or per semester?=S
Are the textbooks expensive/useful? I was thinking of not buying them at all except for the language textbooks!

Peartie

HSC
per week

some subjects yes, some no

languages DEF buy them

My language books are about 100+ per semester

then there are the readers which are generally needed and are somewhere between 20 and 40 a semester depending on the subject...

Nostalgia

HSC
Peartie said:
per week

some subjects yes, some no

languages DEF buy them

My language books are about 100+ per semester

then there are the readers which are generally needed and are somewhere between 20 and 40 a semester depending on the subject...
Whats the "readers"?

rwc

HSC
Readers are basically photocopied articles or chapters from various sources that you are required to read throughout the semester.. ends up being this fat chunk of bound paper.

Some language books can turn out to be really cheap for example im doing spanish and ive completed beginners and intermediate all using the same textbook which cost bout 120.

Every unit in intl studies has turned out to be different in terms of textbook purchasing. For example, for EUL101 you don't have to buy a textbook. For a POL168(i think) you need to buy a textbook ... for POL270 you dont need a textb ook but you do a book review which means you can purchase or borrow from the library the necessary book. If your willing to be tight with money and utilise the library well you can get away with not purchasing some textbooks. Other times, the newer edition of the textbook is better to get. Depends on the situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)