Integrating personal response into Harwood (1 Viewer)

suica

HSC
Hey, I'm really confused on how I would weave my personal interpretation into my essay. Like, I'm fine explaining all the technical aspects of the poem but when it asks for how it has shaped my personal response or something similar, I just can't seem to be able to do it.

Should I just say, "this concept has influenced me to a large extent because I agree with Harwood that life is limited" or something along those lines? Please help me out with an example if you can.

Thanks. :)

gayforniall

HSC
Uni Grad
My teachers taught not to literally respond personally to the question, but rather present the reactions and the effect on its audience.

For example: Instead of "Harwood's poetry has a moving effect on me, it demonstrates the transcience of life by ___________,

you would write, "Harwood's poetry moves its audience, and demonstrates the transience of life by ________.

You should not use the first person in your responses.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
My teachers taught not to literally respond personally to the question, but rather present the reactions and the effect on its audience.

For example: Instead of "Harwood's poetry has a moving effect on me, it demonstrates the transcience of life by ___________,

you would write, "Harwood's poetry moves its audience, and demonstrates the transience of life by ________.

Exactly. You're personal response is indicated by the information you include and omit, and the level to which you agree with the effect of that information. It does not need to be first person.

suica

HSC
Very interesting. My teacher had initially told us not to use first person inclusion but changed their opinion after hearing some feedback from a marking centre that told them it was perfectly fine. I will, however, probably not use first person as I'm trying to keep these essays as objective and sophisticated as I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)