integration (1 Viewer)

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
The shaded region is bound by the curve y= x^3, the y axis and the line y=8
Determine the volume of revolution formed when this region is rotated about the x axis. Working out and not procedure (instructions) please. Thx
Is the answer 576 pi /7? Confirm please :shy:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A

Remember what you are after is NOT the volume when the shaded area between y=x^3, x=2 and the x-axis is rotated about the x-axis, but the volume of the cylynder when you rotate the shaded region between y=8, x=2, and the x and y axes about the x-axis MINUS this.

Diagram would be useful.

hscishard

HSC

Remember what you are after is NOT the volume when the shaded area between y=x^3, x=2 and the x-axis is rotated about the x-axis, but the volume of the cylynder when you rotate the shaded region between y=8, x=2, and the x and y axes about the x-axis MINUS this.

Diagram would be useful.
Give that man the stamp of approval :uhhuh:. I finally understand the stupid forumla.

fullonoob

HSC

Diagram would be useful.
sorry but also incorrect. you can't assume it forms a circle, as it has diff radii. it does not form a cylinder. oh yeah find the X>0 part not <0, forgot to add that in.
The shaded region is between y = 8 and x^3 (x>0 part of graph)
I did it differently but not sure if its right so yeah :fish:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
I did not find the volume of the cylender as the explicit answer;

would you agree that:

The volume when the region bounded by the curve y=x^3, x=2 and the x-axis (x>0) is rotated about the x-axis

PLUS

The volume when the region bounded by the curve y= x^3, the y axis and the line y=8
(x>0) is rotated about the x-axis [Which is our Required Volume]

EQUALS

The volume when the region bounded by the lines y=8, x=2, and the x and y axes is rotated about the x-axis [Which is a cylinder, radius 8, height 2].

Rearrange to get the required area: i.e.

The volume when the region bounded by the lines y=8, x=2, and the x and y axes is rotated about the x-axis [Which is a cylinder, radius 8, height 2].

MINUS

The volume when the region bounded by the curve y=x^3, x=2 and the x-axis (x>0) is rotated about the x-axis

EQUALS

The volume when the region bounded by the curve y= x^3, the y axis and the line y=8
(x>0) is rotated about the x-axis [Which is our Required Volume]

hscishard

HSC
sorry but also incorrect. you can't assume it forms a circle, as it has diff radii. it does not form a cylinder. oh yeah find the X>0 part not <0, forgot to add that in.
The shaded region is between y = 8 and x^3 (x>0 part of graph)
I did it differently but not sure if its right so yeah :fish:
...? They do dont they? Same radius I mean. Don't know where you got circle from.

fullonoob

HSC
ahhh i see
the answer is effed then :L
thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)