• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Interesting potential eBay Scam (419 variant, possibly) (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I'm selling an ancient Toshiba Portege 620CT. I don't expect much for it at all (ie under $100, if it sells at all). I got this question from maryb2905, a userwith no feedback, who registered from India (which, interestingly, I'd not consider 'Africa'... read on and you'll see why that's interesting) less than a month ago. Furthermore, it's January. Interesting he needs it so immediately for christmas...

Hello seller,i'm interested in the immediate purchase of this item for my son in africa as xmas gift,please i will pay you AU$ 2,000 for the total cost including shipping & insurance via DHL ,GLOBAL EXPRESS EMS OR EXPRESS POST . I will be paying via International money gram(Money Order an online payment whereby the money will be delivered to your doorstep).Reply asap with your name & address so that i can make the payment right away.please include your email address in your reply so that can contact you anytime.i will be glad if you can end auction for the item now.Reply Asap NB:i would like you to consider this offer as real thanks and regards to friends and family, pls let me know if you can ship tomorrow as soon as payment has been confrimed and you have gotten Confrimation of payment.
...Have emailed eBay security/support & will update soon.

Any thoughts? :)

Last edited:

7th Sign

HSC
say you will accept and send them a box with dog shit in it hahahahah

I saw some one do this on another forum a few years ago..

oh well I have been sent like 3 scam emails today on ebay lol only selling 18 items aswell...the scams are soo stupid and only a idiot would accept it.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Ta for the link, Sunny! Sounds very familiar!

Update from eBay. Don't know if this is in reply to my email or a generic warning...

Ebay Staff said:
Our records indicate that you recently interacted with maryb2905 through the eBay email system.

Sometimes eBay accounts are used to send email solicitations for transactions outside of eBay, or to send unrelated questions in an attempt to discover your email address. We wanted you to be aware of the potential fraud risk these solicitations pose and encourage you to ignore the email you received from this member. Sales that take place outside of eBay are not eligible for any eBay or PayPal protective services and you run the risk of losing your money or your item if you complete these transactions.

We would encourage you to review the eBay pages related to Fraud Protection at the address provided below for information on steps you can take to ensure that future transactions are completed successfully:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-fraud-ov.html

If you have already sent the item or sent payment for the item, please reply to this email and we will send you additional information about how to protect yourself.

Regards,
Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

Last edited:

7th Sign

HSC
another dodgey message i just got on ebay lols

Dear friend: >Thanks for your precious time!This is a nike-shoes selling agent in Beijing.currently, variteties of new models are on sale, they are all updated , fascinating and of good quality , my website is: http:// .....dodgey link....../ this is a large-scale manufacturer ,which has enjoyed good reputation for years,and we have customers around the globe, you will very soon perceive that all our service is characterized by sincerity and professionalism.morever ,we shall provide each of our customer a featured price,which is agreed unanimously the lowest in the industry . now I am lookig forward to your order ,please contact us at any time with the following ways.our MSN

stryder_au

[ - єsçãpè - ]
HSC
man! i had a similar experience not too long ago.. i will selling some mobile phone resources on ebay. and this guy from portugal emailed me saying that he had these bulk mobile phones at reasonable prices and asked if i wanted to be a reseller. it looked pretty legit! but i did my research anyway...

turns out, his web domain was registered to some guy in New York, and his phone number wasn't even from Portugal!

2 weeks later.. his site is shut down

damn scammers...make some money the real way!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
ahhahahahhaha

that was awesome! simply awesome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)