Intermediate Value Theorem Question (1 Viewer)

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone please answer the following Question.PNG

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Can you show us what you've done so far? So we can help you from there rather than just doing it for you.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
For the second part I am getting

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
For the second part I am getting

Yep, sorry I've fixed it up for you now, what you said is right :) Would you mind explaining the question to me so I can see where to start and learn how to approach this type of question?

By the way, the actual question has given a hint by letting . I just wanted to see how you would approach this question given a hint was not provided.

Thanks

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Also some changes should be made slightly to the terminology, on line 5 it should say

"then it takes every value from [0,1] at least twice"

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Similarly:

Add them side by side:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
OK Thanks :)

Another question I was sort of stuck on:

How many real zeroes does have?
Try differentiating and looking at the stationary points, they should tell you something about the way the curve moves.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
Try differentiating and looking at the stationary points, they should tell you something about the way the curve moves.
Never mind I got it, as and yield opposite signs. Is there another way of doing this question, using IVT or Extreme Value Theorem or some other method? For example the polynomial has only one real root, how would you be certain in finding the number of real zeroes existing?

Thanks

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Never mind I got it, as and yield opposite signs. Is there another way of doing this question, using IVT or Extreme Value Theorem or some other method?

Thanks
That is essentially IVT, since P(-n) and P(3) yield opposite signs for sufficiently large n (i.e. when n goes to inifinty), then there is some root in (-n, 3), similarly, P(3) and P(5) yield opposite signs, and P(5) and P(n), for sufficiently large n is yield opposite signs.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
That is essentially IVT, since P(-n) and P(3) yield opposite signs for sufficiently large n (i.e. when n goes to inifinty), then there is some root in (-n, 3), similarly, P(3) and P(5) yield opposite signs, and P(5) and P(n), for sufficiently large n is yield opposite signs.
OK Thanks

seanieg89

HSC
In case anybody is curious, this is known as the 'Universal Chord Theorem'.
I'm pretty sure that this isn't the universal chord theorem. The universal chord theorem is that the numbers of the form 1/n are the ONLY real numbers such that the above theorem holds.

This is a little more subtle and difficult than the question that was asked.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure that this isn't the universal chord theorem. The universal chord theorem is that the numbers of the form 1/n are the ONLY real numbers such that the above theorem holds.

This is a little more subtle and difficult than the question that was asked.
My fault!

When I saw the f(a)=f(a+1/n), UCT was the first thing that came to mind and I had thought they were required to prove it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)