Internal (ass)esment (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Don't you loathe people who can bullshit their way through a proposal and a viva voce? Such is one person in my class whose the only one whose managed to get anywhere near 100% for both, despite the fact that her m.work is shit-shit-shit.

As a school, we usually go well - the past four years, all people in the class have gotten E4's, but I was wondering how badly her M.work would effect our marks, seeing how I'm the next highest on 80%.

See, that's why I hate EngExt2, the internal is nothing like the external

HSC
N/A
I personally think you have some major ego issues going on and you would be wise to re-evaluate yourself.

EE2 is subjective. You, as an individual, have NO idea of how your major work (or anyone else’s) will fare when marked externally and it is extremely foolish to assume anything until you get the results back. Just because someone’s major work (which you don’t like) got a better mark than you did doesn’t mean that it was a fluke and that naturally, your work will do so much better in the real thing.

For all you know, they *might* just happen to be very talented and an excellent communicator. I know that many of the people who did EE2 at my school last year – including myself – went in there with only a couple of lines written on a yellow palm card (the only paper we were allowed to bring into the room). We weren’t blabbing on about nothing. We knew our stuff. Regardless of how well we did we gave it our best shot. If we didn’t get the mark we wanted, then we resolved to learn from the process and improve, as opposed to acting petty and flaming someone else's work on a public forum. A tad on the immature side, if you ask me.

Oh, and if her work is actually doing well, she'll pull you up, not down. Remember - your opinion doesn't get people into the showcase. The Board’s does. Rumours like “internal is nothing like external” might be true for some people, but should not be interpreted to your own advantage – you might be getting 80% now, but you might very well get 40% as an external mark. Wouldn’t it be funny if you were the only one to get an E3 this year? Oh, you don’t think so? How do you know? You have NO idea what the Board will think of it.

It’s never wise to assume too much. Huge discrepancies between internal and external marks normally occur when the major work is on the iffy side – for example if the subject matter was done by half the EE2 students in the state, or the work itself raises mixed opinions.

In a nutshell:

"Internal and external marks have nothing in common" is not an excuse for "someone else got a better mark than me, and because I think my work is better than theirs I'm going to be really immature and flame them on the internet because they might pull my final mark down, which *will* be brilliant because that's what I think"

EDIT: "objective" edited to "subjective", which was the original intended word. My bad, and I accept full responsibility and apologise for any confusions.

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
glitterfairy said:
I personally think you have some major ego issues going on and you would be wise to re-evaluate yourself.

EE2 is objective. You, as an individual, have NO idea of how your major work (or anyone else’s) will fare when marked externally and it is extremely foolish to assume anything until you get the results back. Just because someone’s major work (which you don’t like) got a better mark than you did doesn’t mean that it was a fluke and that naturally, your work will do so much better in the real thing.

For all you know, they *might* just happen to be very talented and an excellent communicator. I know that many of the people who did EE2 at my school last year – including myself – went in there with only a couple of lines written on a yellow palm card (the only paper we were allowed to bring into the room). We weren’t blabbing on about nothing. We knew our stuff. Regardless of how well we did we gave it our best shot. If we didn’t get the mark we wanted, then we resolved to learn from the process and improve, as opposed to acting petty and flaming someone else's work on a public forum. A tad on the immature side, if you ask me.

Oh, and if her work is actually doing well, she'll pull you up, not down. Remember - your opinion doesn't get people into the showcase. The Board’s does. Rumours like “internal is nothing like external” might be true for some people, but should not be interpreted to your own advantage – you might be getting 80% now, but you might very well get 40% as an external mark. Wouldn’t it be funny if you were the only one to get an E3 this year? Oh, you don’t think so? How do you know? You have NO idea what the Board will think of it.

It’s never wise to assume too much. Huge discrepancies between internal and external marks normally occur when the major work is on the iffy side – for example if the subject matter was done by half the EE2 students in the state, or the work itself raises mixed opinions.

In a nutshell:

"Internal and external marks have nothing in common" is not an excuse for "someone else got a better mark than me, and because I think my work is better than theirs I'm going to be really immature and flame them on the internet because they might pull my final mark down, which *will* be brilliant because that's what I think"
Ditto

I'm on 58/60 right now for my EE2 assessment and im coming first but there is no way im going to be so presumuptuous to assume my MW is better then any1 elses thats because I respect every1s work as an expression of themselves and thier talents. Perhaps that is something you need to learn.

And you the teachers dont give out the internal assessment marks lightly, when our teachers mark our stuff they give it to us as in indication of what band our work is, well thats what my teachers do anyway.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
Gavrillo said:
Don't you loathe people who can bullshit their way through a proposal and a viva voce? Such is one person in my class whose the only one whose managed to get anywhere near 100% for both, despite the fact that her m.work is shit-shit-shit.

As a school, we usually go well - the past four years, all people in the class have gotten E4's, but I was wondering how badly her M.work would effect our marks, seeing how I'm the next highest on 80%.

See, that's why I hate EngExt2, the internal is nothing like the external
if she managed to fabricate her evidence and content of her major work thus far, she must have a wonderful ability to express herself, work efficiently and contemplate her concept to such a degree. The Viva Voce is perhaps a very good assessment task as a differential between those who have a firm handle on their concept and those that don't.

and besides, if perhaps her style of writing is not very conducive to your expectations, EE2 is a subject of presenting your own perceptions of things, we didnt agree to create a major work that was somewhat of a carbon copy of something else we've seen before, so being open to other ways of seeing things will add to your experience in this subject and also widen your perceptions of your own work.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
whether a person's mw is shit or really good is subjective isn't it?

Like some stories i've read in the Young Writers Showcase, i thought it was the biggest load of shit I've ever read.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Let's duel.

Since you've spent so much time constructing an arguement, I'm going to indulge you in the same:

glitterfairy said:

glitterfairy said:
(I?) EE2 is objective.
Maths is objective, science is objective...English is the least objective subject. Maybe you just don't know the meaning of the word...

glitterfairy said:
Just because someone’s major work (which you don’t like) got a better mark than you did doesn’t mean that it was a fluke and that naturally, your work will do so much better in the real thing.
After reading all the showcases, talking to the past EE2 teacher and talking to other members of the class, we've all come to the same conclusion: she just has a grasp of how to appeal to our new, narcisstic, published-poet-cum-teacher.

glitterfairy said:
"For all you know, they *might* just happen to be very talented and an excellent communicator.
Hmmmm, wrong again. She's jittery and in all her vocal assessments she gets screwed over.

glitterfairy said:
If we didn’t get the mark we wanted, then we resolved to learn from the process and improve, as opposed to acting petty and flaming someone else's work on a public forum. A tad on the immature side, if you ask me.
If you actually read my post properly, that is if you can read, you'll notice that its focus was actually questioning the weight internal assessment carried in EE2, rather than trying to flame her. If I was, I'd give her username...she's a member.

glitterfairy said:
In a nutshell:
Shut up. And whilst to your naive sensibilities I may sound contradictory: your unimformed, untimely and inappropriate flaming was hardly the correct response to my question.

Thanks for the answer, but no thanks for the approach.

EDIT: I just read this: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=58886&highlight=internal...nice marks.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
No. You complained, whined and judged another's capability in a subject that is *far* more subjective than maths or science, if you wanted the answer to internal moderation then all you would have had to do would be search the UAI/HSC marks forums as that exact question has been repeatedly answered there.
And before you respond that you *only* asked a question...No, you didn't. You made a complaint that was verging on insulting and when no one agreed with you, you became rude. In answer to your question if you actually wanted it in the first place - she wont affect your score much if you are any good and she actually isnt. And no, I dont loathe people who do well internally as they are being marked on their process and that is up to the teacher to judge, not me.
Gavrillo said:
rather than trying to flame her. If I was, I'd give her username...she's a member.
This bit does strike me as odd...you know her username and real life persona so its safe to assume she knows yours, and given the class sizes of a subject like ee2,how can you really expect her to not know what you just said about her?

Last edited:

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Gavrillo, I suggest you a develop a greater sense of appreciation and understanding of your own work - to which point you will not feel the need to constantly compare yourself to others and blame your feeling of inferiority on the "rigidity" of the marking criteria.

Write with passion and write because you like to write.. the Viva Voce is a wonderful thing that can help you articulate and present your ideas and help you in areas that are lacking. I simply did not find it appropriate or mature to flame glitterfairy for her honest, mature and experienced words. It is time to learn the difference between hostility and constructive criticism and not lash out. It's all about growing up.

:kaz.n:

HSC
gavrillo how can you be so childish and up-yourself? :confused:
You come on the board and make durogatory judgements on the talents of your EE2 superior publically! You then flame Glitterfairy, one of the most learned members on this forum regarding EE2. Are you hoping we will comfort you and your loss as you arent coming first? :uhhuh:

Well your post is just pathetic man...sad and pathetic...

Do you know a persons writing reflects their character? :)

Last edited:

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
Gavrillo said:
After reading all the showcases, talking to the past EE2 teacher and talking to other members of the class, we've all come to the same conclusion: she just has a grasp of how to appeal to our new, narcisstic, published-poet-cum-teacher.
leave john foulcher out of this!!!! (at least last time i checked he was the teacher...i love that man)

Gavrillo said:
Hmmmm, wrong again. She's jittery and in all her vocal assessments she gets screwed over.
i'm going to stand up for all those people in ee2 that are jittery and get screwed over in vocal assessments! im the jitteriest kid in ee2 and i've come out ok, it all adds to the body language and can accentuate what you're saying. but still, vocal performance isnt really marked with scrutiny in the viva voce, if it was then i wouldve got 0, so yeah, leave the poor thing alone!

but yeah, as much as someone may appreciate their major work being regarded as 'shit-shit-shit' i think that there is some form of malicious intent in that.
it may be the most unbelievable shit you have ever conceived, so have respect

HSC
N/A
Thanks to members above who have written wonderful words - some of you have expressed yourselves in a particularly mature and eloquent manner, and I applaud you :)

We all have the right to express ourselves freely over the internet, including here. Differences of opinion are only to be expected, and particularly in times when we're not feeling all that crash-hot, our statements over the internet don't always truly reflect how we feel.

I wasn't in a particularly good mood when I wrote my last post (kami can attest to that) and so I do apologise in part for being less constructive as I would have preferred. I also apologise for the use of the word "objective" as I meant "subjective, and have edited my previous comment.

In regards to marks - so much of the HSC is about knowing how to work the system. When you actually finish the HSC and go to Uni, you'll realise that you were essentially trained to think in a specific way for a big fat exam that really has no influence over the rest of your life. The earlier current HSC students grasp exactly what the Board wants them to think/do, and demonstrate it well (in a way that appeals to the Board), the higher likelihood that they will do well in the HSC. I'm sure there are more than a few places here on BOS where past HSC students (including myself) have ranted on about how ridiculous the HSC is at times (so much is based on rote-learning and regurgitation) - sadly, it's not perfect, but what is? Work with the system for now, graduate from high school, and finally let yourself loose in University.

Knowing how to appeal to the teachers and the board is a big part of the HSC. Coming from a performing arts background - it's only a minority of the time where good work (regardless of whether it appeals to the adjudicator or not) is recognised and rewarded as such. This - like the HSC - is so much about giving them what they want. You must must must recognise the system as such if you want to do particularly well, especially in a subjective subject like english where there's really no definitive right or wrong.

Going back to what I said above, words typed over the internet are not always interpreted the way they were intended to. I'm a pretty emotional person - I'll admit that freely, and my instant reaction to your first statement - which was "Don't you loathe people who can bullshit their way through a proposal and a viva voce? Such is one person in my class whose the only one whose managed to get anywhere near 100% for both, despite the fact that her m.work is shit-shit-shit." wasn't particularly passive.

What we actually write and how it's written can often contradict one another. Your ending line, you claim, is the focus of your "question", but the content and form of the post itself screams out otherwise, and it is that which I am responding to. Remember: We are all entitled to our own opinion. Whether my response is the "correct answer" to your question or not is entirely irrelevant - I'm not here to tell you what you want to hear, I'm here to tell you what I think.

And finally: How one performs in previous/other assessments has no standing on how they might perform in an EE2 Viva Voce. I'm one of the least consistent people I know, with huge discrepancies between my "high average" and "low average" marks. Sometimes things can just click, you know? It's not always waffle - sometimes it's just meant to be and I don't feel you should begrudge someone else for doing well. There will ALWAYS be someone better than you - someone who doesn't have to work as hard to get the same result (or better), someone who's major work is more appreciated than yours, someone who scores better, or is more popular, more pretty, taller, faster, bigger shoe size - whatever.

The longer you spend beating yourself up about not being the best, or worrying about things pulling you down, the bigger chance that you loose sight of the greater picture. Work more on strengthening yourself as a whole and you will do well, no matter what.

You're an intelligent person, Gavrillo, both you and I know that. I only hope that you put all your energy into doing the best for yourself that you can - negative energy can only bring about negative circumstances. Most people only have - or can afford - one shot at the HSC. Don't waste it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)