Internal Program Transfer (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
How does it work? Not sure how many HSC students have asked this already but, add one to the list.
As far as my skills in English go, I strongly doubt I'll achieve the 97-98 ATAR required to enter B Actuarial studies. What I wanted to do was a dual degree with that and BSc (Adv mathematics). So far my plan was to do one semester of B Commerce/BSc (Adv mathematics) when I enter UNSW which only because of HSC plus, seems like it's a greater possibility, and then transfer in from there.

Except, do I need to though? When I was researching about the IPT I found this criteria.
Must also have minimum WAM of 75 in (MATH1131 and MATH1231) or (MATH1141 and MATH1241) or passed (MATH1151 and MATH1251)

I searched up these courses and found them under the adv maths course. If given my WAM meets the minimum requirements and I've completed enough UoC then would I technically be able to go from BSc (Adv mathematics), the single degree, to the dual? Because I reckon I'd get a higher WAM in adv maths on it's own than combining with commerce, which is an interest I lost in yr 10 and have only recently begun to pick up.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How does it work? Not sure how many HSC students have asked this already but, add one to the list.
As far as my skills in English go, I strongly doubt I'll achieve the 97-98 ATAR required to enter B Actuarial studies. What I wanted to do was a dual degree with that and BSc (Adv mathematics). So far my plan was to do one semester of B Commerce/BSc (Adv mathematics) when I enter UNSW which only because of HSC plus, seems like it's a greater possibility, and then transfer in from there.

Except, do I need to though? When I was researching about the IPT I found this criteria.
Must also have minimum WAM of 75 in (MATH1131 and MATH1231) or (MATH1141 and MATH1241) or passed (MATH1151 and MATH1251)

I searched up these courses and found them under the adv maths course. If given my WAM meets the minimum requirements and I've completed enough UoC then would I technically be able to go from BSc (Adv mathematics), the single degree, to the dual? Because I reckon I'd get a higher WAM in adv maths on it's own than combining with commerce, which is an interest I lost in yr 10 and have only recently begun to pick up.
So you want to get into Actuarial Studies/Adv Maths, so your plan is to get into Commerce/Adv Maths or Adv Maths and then transfer?

Yeah you can do either. Make sure your WAM is high enough though. Probably single Adv Maths gives you more flexibility, but you should know that the Actuarial Studies course has a lot of overlap with Commerce, as in you still have to do Management, Micro 1, Accounting and Business Finance iirc.

So therefore, you'd probably be better off actually just getting into Comm/Adv Maths and doing the courses you would've done if you took Actuarial/Adv Maths anyway - unless you want to (potentially) stay back an extra semester

leehuan

HSC
So you want to get into Actuarial Studies/Adv Maths, so your plan is to get into Commerce/Adv Maths or Adv Maths and then transfer?

Yeah you can do either. Make sure your WAM is high enough though. Probably single Adv Maths gives you more flexibility, but you should know that the Actuarial Studies course has a lot of overlap with Commerce, as in you still have to do Management, Micro 1, Accounting and Business Finance iirc.

So therefore, you'd probably be better off actually just getting into Comm/Adv Maths and doing the courses you would've done if you took Actuarial/Adv Maths anyway - unless you want to (potentially) stay back an extra semester
Good point. I must have forgotten about that so I will probably take that advice. Thanks.

rulesilol

HSC
N/A
Advanced maths/commerce atar req is 96.3 while actuary is 97. If u can get into Adv Maths, I think you can make it to actuary as well. Unless you are really unlucky and miss your atar requirement be like 0.7 atar

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced maths/commerce atar req is 96.3 while actuary is 97. If u can get into Adv Maths, I think you can make it to actuary as well. Unless you are really unlucky and miss your atar requirement be like 0.7 atar
comm/adv maths has lots of bonus points tho

op even if youre very mathematically inclined, i still think youll get a higher wam if you do commerce/adv maths. In the end, you have to do commerce subjects in actuarial so you may as well start from semester 1.

also, do math1151 and pass that, rather than distinction in math1131.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)