Internal transfer in to Law? (1 Viewer)

HSC
My plan is to do B Arts and then hopefully (hopefully) be able to transfer into B Arts/Law

My ATAR however was 93.7 and I've heard that you really only will be considered if your ATAR was 97 or above. I'm hoping to get Distinctions or High Distinctions throughout my first year. Hypothetically if I do get D and HD's, will I have a chance of transferring into Law if my ATAR was quite a few marks below the cut off?

or is it that competitive that I won't have a chance?

in that case do you have any advice on what I should do? because I don't want to come out of uni with a straight Arts degree (I'm assuming you won't get many jobs)

catwoman11

HSC
I don't think you have a chance. However UNSW doesn't look at ATAR - so if you got distinctions/ HDs - you would have a chance there :)
You could do a postgraduate degree after your Arts degree, or maybe transfer into another course such as Commerce?But if you major in something such as International and Government Relations, employment opportunities may arise in the government/ ngo sector.

Last edited:

hellohello8

HSC
you need an atar of roughly 97 and a distinction average
USyd are also known for purely considering WAM if it's good enough- I have a friend who recently transferred into Law who had an ATAR of around 90, but had quite a high HD average. It's still possible, but incredibly difficult. Be prepared to put in some solid effort!

HSC
Oh that makes me feel a bit better. I'm guessing though my chances will be slim.

What do you recommend I should do then? I can pretty much for sure get into Arts/Law at ACU (the atar is like 75 or 65 or something) but I don't really want to go there. I've also applied for B International Studies/Media (Communications and Journalism) at UNSW which would be awesome. The ATAR cut off is 94 so I might just get in.

If I get into UNSW, should I take that course or risk the chance of doing/not doing Arts/Law at USYD?

catwoman11

HSC
Oh that makes me feel a bit better. I'm guessing though my chances will be slim.

What do you recommend I should do then? I can pretty much for sure get into Arts/Law at ACU (the atar is like 75 or 65 or something) but I don't really want to go there. I've also applied for B International Studies/Media (Communications and Journalism) at UNSW which would be awesome. The ATAR cut off is 94 so I might just get in.

If I get into UNSW, should I take that course or risk the chance of doing/not doing Arts/Law at USYD?
Would you rather do the UNSW course or Arts at Usyd? The UNSW course sounds really interesting + you get to go overseas for a year which would improve employment opportunities. Also, you could do the int studies/ media, get high marks then transfer internally into UNSW law. Or are you set on doing law at just Usyd?

rope

HSC
N/A
I don't think you have a chance. It says here - http://sydney.edu.au/law/fstudent/undergrad/apply_local.shtml - that you need an atar of roughly 97 and a distinction average. However UNSW doesn't look at ATAR - so if you got distinctions/ HDs - you would have a chance there. Good luck :)
Not exactly - it says "you will require an ATAR above 97 and/or a Tertiary Grade Point Average in the Distinction range to be competitive to transfer into Combined Law." So a 75+ WAM should cut it regardless of your ATAR. Better off sticking with arts and then transferring next year imo, at least you'll get credit for everything and not waste any time if USyd arts/law is what your heart's set on. You could play it safe and pick a few WAM booster units and that 75+ should be heaps easy.

catwoman11

HSC
Not exactly - it says "you will require an ATAR above 97 and/or a Tertiary Grade Point Average in the Distinction range to be competitive to transfer into Combined Law." So a 75+ WAM should cut it regardless of your ATAR. Better off sticking with arts and then transferring next year imo, at least you'll get credit for everything and not waste any time if USyd arts/law is what your heart's set on. You could play it safe and pick a few WAM booster units and that 75+ should be heaps easy.
Woops totally didn't see that part. Weird how they didn't mention that at info day - the lecturer told us it was 50% atar 50% gpa.

HSC
hahaha well I'm not set on law at usyd or law anywhere. I'm just thinking it would be really useful and plus it interests me. The main career path I want to take is getting into media something whether it be journalism or news reporting or working for a magazine etc.

So I'm thinking I could either do International studies/media (UNSW), plain arts (USYD), plain arts and try and transfer into law (USYD) or plain arts and try and transfer into media and communication (USYD)

but I just don't know whether I'd be taking a massive risk with trying to transfer even though I would love to go to USYD.

RishBonjour

HSC
hahaha well I'm not set on law at usyd or law anywhere. I'm just thinking it would be really useful and plus it interests me. The main career path I want to take is getting into media something whether it be journalism or news reporting or working for a magazine etc.

So I'm thinking I could either do International studies/media (UNSW), plain arts (USYD), plain arts and try and transfer into law (USYD) or plain arts and try and transfer into media and communication (USYD)

but I just don't know whether I'd be taking a massive risk with trying to transfer even though I would love to go to USYD.

If you get your university marks high enough, they won't consider your ATAR. Anything above 82 WAM and you will have a good chance of making it into usyd Law. It sounds like you are genuinely interested in arts/media - so I think with consistent effort, you can definitely achieve that!
It isn't really much of a risk. You can try again in 2nd year. You can also put ACU/UNSW down as 2nd, 3rd preferences etc, next year - they will just consider your ATAR and university marks. Most credits are also transferable, so since you have your heart set on USYD, I think you should go for it!

Good luck!

rope

HSC
N/A

Ah right, though thing with media and communications is that you can't do meco units in straight arts. So if you wanted to transfer into straight meco or meco/law you might not get most of your credit unless you had a second major in mind and/or can count a lot of electives.

Also on transferring, I know that you only need a 70+ WAM (or 65+ WAM depending on who you talk to) for commerce, considering the cutoff for straight meco is only .5 ATAR more, would expect you'd only need something around that.

Hatake88

HSC
My plan is to do B Arts and then hopefully (hopefully) be able to transfer into B Arts/Law

My ATAR however was 93.7 and I've heard that you really only will be considered if your ATAR was 97 or above. I'm hoping to get Distinctions or High Distinctions throughout my first year. Hypothetically if I do get D and HD's, will I have a chance of transferring into Law if my ATAR was quite a few marks below the cut off?

or is it that competitive that I won't have a chance?

in that case do you have any advice on what I should do? because I don't want to come out of uni with a straight Arts degree (I'm assuming you won't get many jobs)
Have you thought about doing law at macquarie or uts then transferring? I know a double degree at macquarie is only 95...so you may have a chance. That way you won't "waste" a year doing things you don't like and, as long as you get a distinction average, you can start law at usyd next year. And think about it, if you fail this year for some reason or another (just hypothetically speaking - afterall, getting a distinction average isn't easy), what would you want? Doing law at a reputable middle tier university or doing arts at usyd?

Btw, is it too late to apply for bonus points for media/comm? I have friends who got 95 and got in because they sent in a writing profile or something?

Last edited:

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
As you said, you aren't explicitly interested in studying law, and whilst it is definitely a valuable 'side' degree to have, I don't think it would be worth the many thousands of dollars if you're on the fence about it. Maybe in a few years time you will know if it is what you want to do or not, and then you would have saved yourself quite a bit of time and money if you decide against it. If you do wish to pursue it, however, you will be more mature and have developed good study habits, plus you will have extra employability skills with your arts degree. Just focus on Arts this year, work as hard as you can, but don't despair if you don't get the marks - you can always do law later :)

Tl;dr : If you're still interested in law after your Arts degree, you can apply for graduate law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)