International Movies! (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
missylicious said:
Hi
does anyone here watches SBS? i reckon they have pretty good international mvies. I really liked what they put on air last night- The Stratosphere Girl. There was also another movie i liked that they put on air last year -this French movie called 'La Petite Emily' .
Im a fan of international movies and i watch sbs when i know there's going to be a good show on because i check the tv guide when i'm not busy with school work or anything.
So is there anyone out there who is into international movies?
And also, does anyone know if there's an International Film Festival this year in Sydney?? If you know or have any information, then please reply!
thanks!
I use to watch sbs a lot for the asian movies. However my cousin bought a whole stack of vcds of them and we now got TVBJ, so i barely touch sbs now ! however i do know some people who stay up late to watch sbs for O_O haha. you get the picture :p

missylicious

HSC
lol yes i know wat u mean hahaha .. lucky u! i want cable or satelite tv! lol

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
missylicious said:
lol yes i know wat u mean hahaha .. lucky u! i want cable or satelite tv! lol
Consider getting it then ! it's like $1 or $2 a day i think?

missylicious

HSC
i didnt know there was a movies section. woops my bad. sry im a newbie here .

salsydney

HSC
missylicious said:
nah cant afford it! lol
heyy DEVDAS is on this sunday 930- i think -on sbs BOLLYWOOD romeo and juliet love story! i read it earlier on the sbs website-its tv guide. its apparently the most expensive bollywood film. im so gonna watch it this sunday! woot!
http://www.sbs.com.au/whatson/index.php3?progdate=16:04:2006
yeh i was excited to see this movie is on also, my mum has seen it already, said it was shit, but was a huge hit just because of the money spent on it.

as for my taste in international movies... i bloody love bollywood, when i can be bothered to sit down and watch a movie for 3 hours... of course, being a paki means i dont really need subtitles... plus, have grown up on bollywood movies, god, absolutely love them.

rajsc

HSC
bollywood movies are becoming very popular..
and shouldnt hollywood flicks be "international" lol
thats what i dont like
too much american influence

anywayz
i like chinese films

yeh devdas is coming on
very sad ending
great movie though
.........Courtesy SBS:
The most lavish and expensive Bollywood film ever made, Devdas is the sweeping tale of two soul mates whose love is thwarted by India's rigid class structure. Devdas and Paro grow up together in a village, and become inseparable. Paro's father is a lower-caste bureaucrat and her mother comes from a family of dancers. Devdas' father is a high-caste landlord who decides to send his son to London to become a lawyer. Devdas stays in London for ten years, and on his return he finds Paro waiting, the power of her love for him still tangible. Their romance grows but Devdas' sister-in-law doesn't like the idea of Devdas marrying and her having to share the family wealth with Devdas and his bride. She schemes and turns Devdas' mother against Paro and her family. Paro is then married off to a rich widower landlord, and finds herself surrounded by wealth, an unloving husband and grown-up children. In response, Devdas begins a life of self-destruction. He becomes an alcoholic and is cared for by a prostitute in her brothel. There are references to the love story of Radha and Krishna, a Romeo and Juliet type story, the only difference being that Radha and Krishna are worshipped and their folklore recited by the campfire in villages. Stars Shahrukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai. (From India, in Hindi, with English subtitles) (2002) PG (Rpt) WS
SMS Alert Code: 7141

missylicious

HSC
yeh im sick of that american stuff..
devdas was sad =( i like the scene where she ran out to find him.. lol sucha long way to run! the scenes were nice n colurful and the prostitute was quite pretty and enchanting.
is there really a bollywood in india? i would love to go there.
i wonder if its an actual place??? hmmmm

missylicious

HSC
oh yess abt chinese films who;s seen that classic 'condor heroes (1)'? i think its from 1983? i find it addictive !

melb22

HSC
N/A
missylicious said:
yeh im sick of that american stuff..
devdas was sad =( i like the scene where she ran out to find him.. lol sucha long way to run! the scenes were nice n colurful and the prostitute was quite pretty and enchanting.
is there really a bollywood in india? i would love to go there.
i wonder if its an actual place??? hmmmm
Actually there is no place in india where there is sign 'BOLLYWOOD' something like there is in LA. But most of the bollywood studios are located in mumbai. Mumbai for a while was known as BOmbay, and hence the term was coined bollywood, something similiar to hollywood. Many movies are also now shot in hyderabad which is in south india, where ramoji film city is the worlds largest movie studio with hundreds of readymade sets. u can check it at http://www.ramojifilmcity.com

Bollywood is not the whole indian cinema, just one of the languages in which movies are made in india. There are other 5-6 major movie industries like tamil, telugu, bengali and others. Though bollywood movies which are made in hindi language is the biggest of the lot. The indian movie industry is much bigger then hollywood in terms of audience and no. of tickets sold world wide, though in terms of revenue hollywood is a lot bigger then bollywood

Last edited:
HSC
i loved watching SBS late night italian, german or french movies. the germans especially are great film makers, i remember one of a father impregenated her daughter he died (he was in "resevior(sp?) dogs") but that movie was great aside the whole incest bit

BronwynKate

HSC
Thank you for the extra information about Indian cinema.

I'm glad someone else likes Mostly Martha; I felt that only my Mum and I liked it.

I've had a chance to read over this thread.

Missy, are you on holidays now? That is to say, have you no more exams over the fortnight?

Hyderebad is one cool place, I believe. Especially for the education.

melb22

HSC
N/A
hyderabad is quite big in IT.100's of IT companies from around the world have set up their r&d centers there.

missylicious

HSC
BronwynKate said:
Thank you for the extra information about Indian cinema.

I'm glad someone else likes Mostly Martha; I felt that only my Mum and I liked it.

I've had a chance to read over this thread.

Missy, are you on holidays now? That is to say, have you no more exams over the fortnight?

Hyderebad is one cool place, I believe. Especially for the education.
sorry for the late reply !
i was on holiday n now im back at skool, lol.
finished my 1/2 yrlies .. did ok failed one subject LOL

winterfall

HSC
Hmm... I've seen bits of foreign movies, like "My Sassy Girl", "The Ring". Bollywood movies always look so fascinating too :p The colours, clothing, dancing... so elaborate :eek:

Obsolete

HSC
N/A
i like some international movies, the last two i watched were Pi and Irreversable.

Pi is an amazing film but alto of people wouldnt like it, very deep and thought provoking.

Irreversable i wouldnt recommend to MOST people to watch, its a french movie, but its really bizare and brutal, but does leave some interesting thoughts in my mind at least

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)