International student needs your help! (1 Viewer)

andelauwc

HSC
Hello,

I'm a 18 year old girl from Croatia that is currently doing her IB at the United World College of the Adriatic in Italy.

I'm very, very interested in Macquarie University, but, being an international student means that I OUGHT to have a full scholarship. Therefore, I have some questions for you.
My IB score will app. be 40 (= 98.20 ATAR points) and I'm interested in Anthropology. How likely is that I will get in? What is the acceptance rate?
Also, how willing they are to give a full scholarship to an international student? :skip:

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Anđela

tony1984

HSC
N/A
First of all, with a 98.2 ATAR you are almost certainly going to be accepted into a Bachelor of Arts - Anthropology stream at Macquarie University unless you happen to be a serial axe-murderer ;)

As far as scholarships go however, most MQ scholarships are offered to domestic students. There is however a full scholarship offered to international undergraduates who achieve an ATAR equivalent of greater than 92 :). The deadline for the scholarship applications in Semester 1, 2014 is October the 1st. More information here:

http://www.mq.edu.au/future_student...international_scholarships/full_scholarships/

The other alternative is a full scholarship that is offered only to applicants through UAC. You must apply for a course at MQ however and the deadline is 1st December.

http://www.mq.edu.au/future_student...onal_scholarships/muis_uac_full_scholarships/

There are a lot of opportunities to attain scholarship during the course of your studies however, if you are a high achieving student. Of course it's a risky proposition though if your degree progression is highly contingent upon attaining a scholarship over the course of your studies.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
You can do much better than macquarie, you should try Usyd if you plan on doing an arts major. Australia doesn't really offer full ride scholarships as most of the tuition is state funded. You should try some ivy league universities as a lot of them have a huge endowment and give out scholarships like crazy.

tony1984

HSC
N/A
You can do much better than macquarie, you should try Usyd if you plan on doing an arts major. Australia doesn't really offer full ride scholarships as most of the tuition is state funded. You should try some ivy league universities as a lot of them have a huge endowment and give out scholarships like crazy.
No doubt USyd is better than MQ, especially for Arts. And with that kind of an ATAR I feel like she should be looking at better institutions of study as well. On the flip-side, the probability of being awarded a full scholarship at MQ as an undergrad applicant would be greater than at USyd as they would presumably have a greater proportion of competitive applicants, no?

andelauwc

HSC
Thank you!
Well, I was thinking about the Ivy Leagues but I'm 100x more attracted to Australia than to America. Living for at least 4 years ''down there'' sounds way better compared to 4 years in the States.
One last question. I don't know what familiar are you with the IB program, but I would like to know if Maths Studies (SL) are not accepted well enough in Australia? Would that be a problem while applying ?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thank you!
Well, I was thinking about the Ivy Leagues but I'm 100x more attracted to Australia than to America. Living for at least 4 years ''down there'' sounds way better compared to 4 years in the States.
One last question. I don't know what familiar are you with the IB program, but I would like to know if Maths Studies (SL) are not accepted well enough in Australia? Would that be a problem while applying ?
Hey Andela,

The best people to talk to in more depth about this kind of thing would be the Future Students team at Macquarie: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/

You can reach them via Facebook or through the enquiry box. They are available most times and will respond promptly.

As for the quality of the program, Macquarie's Anthropology department is second to none, with a lot of the staff already winning Australian Learning and Teaching awards and grants for their work in teaching and research in the field of Anthropology. Add to this the laid back nature of Macquarie and the variety of subjects you'll be able to take with your Anthropology degree makes Macquarie quite a good prospect for new students.

You can have a look at the Anthropology Department here: http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_anthropology/

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)