International Students targetted for robberies (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Uni 'in denial' over student attacks

A Senate inquiry has been told Newcastle University has been in denial about attacks on international students for too long.

The National Liaison Committee for International Students has told the inquiry it has been concerned about attacks on foreign students at Newcastle, in the New South Wales Hunter Valley, since 2004, when several African students were targeted.

In 2007, an Indian student was assaulted and there were more attacks earlier this year.

The committee's Mark Choo says more needs to be done.

"Saying everything is all right, won't make the problem go away. They should confront the issues and do something about it," he said.
Uni 'in denial' over student attacks - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Wtf is this Mark Choo guy on? Has he had his head firmly buried in the sand over the past few months?

Seems to me that he's making hot air remarks without actually considering what the uni have done since the attacks. Can't really see the relevance to his remarks, given that I honestly can't see how the university could have handled their response any better (eg. shuttle buses, late night security runs to get students home in the near vicinity)?

Unfair pot-shot at the uni over it's recent attacks, or justified outrage?

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I heard this this morning. Fucking hate hearing bad shit about Newcastle on national radio. They had clips from the deputy vice chancellor (someone McKonky..lolz) and whoever our international student spokesperson thingy is and both were like 'erm, it's been shit but we're fixing it so drop it'.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Attacks happen all over Newcastle on friday nights.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Apparently what happened in one of the cases in that between the uni and Jesmond, a bus was driving past and saw that there was somebody that was surrounded by about 4 others who were trying to pull away his bag. Bus slowed down heaps, and the kids fled.

The other guy in the other case wasn't so lucky.

But yeah, I don't think they were directly on university grounds, so can't be expected to do much more than they are currently doing. Seeing as though they took about 300 people home Thursday night alone, i'd be calling on the police to patrol more around the Jesmond area and try to dent these kiddie gangs.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
at the uni? ? ?
I'm going to be that guy that gives his opinion even though he knows nothing about it.

IMO, the moral of the story shouldn't be "don't walk around the uni at night" it should be "don't walk around alone anywhere in Newcastle at night, especially on fridays"

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
I'm going to be that guy that gives his opinion even though he knows nothing about it.

IMO, the moral of the story shouldn't be "don't walk around the uni at night" it should be "don't walk around alone anywhere in Newcastle at night, especially on fridays"
dont worry i am of the same belief as you although i do walk around alone at night, I enjoy having the night to myself.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Teen gangs target students | The Australian

Seems like there's proof that this is just as big of a problem outside of Newcastle.

In other news, talking with the security guys, they seem to know exactly where they live (in Jesmond) as do the police. Hahaha two of the attackers that are 17 have been taken to big boy prison.

They'll be a nice girlfriend for someone inside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)