International Studies Dilemma (1 Viewer)

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
I got in for USYD (hooray) but now im thinking UNSW...
does anyone have an idea of which is better for this degree? any help would be greatly appreciated!

~sora~

HSC
N/A
A late reply but I hope some of this helps you. Which degree is better depends on what you are wanting out of the degree imho. Bachelor of International Studies at UNSW and USyd are quite different degrees.
<O:p
The Bachelor of International Studies at UNSW is 4 year degree and of that you have to go overseas on exchange for 1year, and if you don't qualify for exchange you just end up with a Bachelor of Arts. You have to do at least one language as your major, so if you don't want to do a language or spend one more year doing your degree then Usyd is better for you. But with UNSW you will end up graduating with 3 majors verus 2 in USyd.
<O:p</O:p

Also the core units and area of study seems to be more interesting in Usyd and the degree seems to be more flexible as well. I did Bachelor of International Studies @ UNSW last year but I found that the degree was not flexible enough. I also felt that the cores offered weren't constructive towards jobs in the private sector, they are geared more so for NGO, government type jobs. I am sure some people would disagree with me, but private sectors would be interested more so with people who majored in economics, commerce or business imho. The degree structure pre2005 before UNSW introduced the compulsory INST cores last year was a better degree.
<O:p</O:p

There were a lot of people dissatisfied with the degree @ UNSW last year because of the degree is so stringent and limited selection of core subjects they can choose from. But there were lots of people who seemed happy with it as well. I think the difference between them was that some people were happy with the cores offered and some people were not. Also people doing the global studies plan seemed the most happiest, out of the people I met who was doing International Studies at UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)