internet (1 Viewer)

deano059

HSC
is it worth getting a laptop with one's own wireless internet opposed to using usyd's user pay internet charged per mb?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Depends what for. If you intend to surf the net @ uni, probably go your own. But if I recall correctly, you get a free amount of mb per day. So if you're downloading pron, Uni is not for you, otherwise the uni service should be fine (for like gmail etc.).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah, you get about 40mb/week. if you have wireless, you also get the same. at least that's what it was in semester 1, 06. Hopefully it has changed to unl33tmeted.

kow_dude

HSC
It depends on your needs. If you download/surf the net heaps, then get wireless... otherwise use the uni internet (like i do, since i only download uni materials and other minor stuff). Having own laptop + internet will be useful during assignment due dates where most uni computers will be occupied by those doing their assignments on the last minute.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
kow_dude said:
It depends on your needs. If you download/surf the net heaps, then get wireless... otherwise use the uni internet (like i do, since i only download uni materials and other minor stuff). Having own laptop + internet will be useful during assignment due dates where most uni computers will be occupied by those doing their assignments on the last minute.
wait, do you mean your own wireless plan?

Lisa_8

HSC
Has anyone used Virtual Private Networking [VPN] at Sydney [http://itassist.usyd.edu.au/student/services/internet/vpn.shtml]?The costs are listed here - http://itassist.usyd.edu.au/student/services/internet/costs.shtml - and it seems to be only 2c per MB for wireless which is really cheap, plus some monthly access costs etc, and you can use it off-campus. It seems too good to be true, but im not particularly proficient with this kind of stuff so any advice or criticisms of this option compared with say just going with Optus or Vodafone wireless would be appreciated.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Lisa_8 said:
Has anyone used Virtual Private Networking [VPN] at Sydney [http://itassist.usyd.edu.au/student/services/internet/vpn.shtml]?The costs are listed here - http://itassist.usyd.edu.au/student/services/internet/costs.shtml - and it seems to be only 2c per MB for wireless which is really cheap, plus some monthly access costs etc, and you can use it off-campus. It seems too good to be true, but im not particularly proficient with this kind of stuff so any advice or criticisms of this option compared with say just going with Optus or Vodafone wireless would be appreciated.
well, this is why i'm confused. to my knowledge, all wireless access is done via VPN. You go to the library, and they set it up. You get 8mb/day free cache, and then pay for each additional mb by selecting paid cache.

EDIT: appears I was right. Without VPN you simply get access to local (uni) sites. To go outside the uni network, you get VPN configured. This gives you 6mb (not 8) per day (usually youre given 30mb/week, rather than 6mb per day) for external sites. Additional traffic is charged at 2c/mb. That's $20/gb, which is very decent (i think it was a lot more expensive before, at about 5c/mb)

Last edited:

Bob.

HSC
so has anyone signed up for uni internet yet? or knows this years rates? or how it works to sign up for it? i jsut got a laptop with a wireless card and if you get 6mb a day free then why not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)