interpretation... (1 Viewer)

mojako

HSC
hello..
let t = the number of months it's been since the beginning of January (so t = 0 is at the beginning of January).
let the question be: "when does this thing reach a value of 1000 [1000 is just an arbitrary number]?"
And in my answer I get at "t = 4".

If I write "the end of April" instead of "the beginning of May", will I lose mark, and get no mark for that final part just like if I were to answer t = 5 but I've shown perfectly correct working in any other part (so I write t = 5 because I was daydreaming or something... it's obvious that it should be t = 4 from the previous line of working)??

Rorix

HSC
mojako said:
(so I write t = 5 because I was daydreaming or something... it's obvious that it should be t = 4 from the previous line of working)??
If it's obvious, why did you get it wrong;)?

I say you'd lose a mark. At my school, you'd lose a mark.

mojako

HSC
Rorix said:
If it's obvious, why did you get it wrong;)?
That's because in this hypothetical situation I'm daydreaming or am to sleepy and so make stupid errors. like
line#1: t = 1 + 3
line#2: t = 5

Note that what I was asking about "will I get the mark" is the beginning/end of the month part, not the t = 4/5 thing.

kpq_sniper017

mojako said:
That's because in this hypothetical situation I'm daydreaming or am to sleepy and so make stupid errors. like
line#1: t = 1 + 3
line#2: t = 5

Note that what I was asking about "will I get the mark" is the beginning/end of the month part, not the t = 4/5 thing.
i think (but u might want to check with some other guys too) that if you make a transcription error either from the paper to the booklet or within the question, u won't get marked down as long as it doesn't make the question easier to solve. that's only in the hsc exam though.
as for internal assessments...different schools (and even teachers) have different methods of correcting work, so u'd have to check with your teacher.

mojako

HSC
How about my original question?
with "t" being defined as the number of months which have passed since the beginning of January, will I still be correct if I say that t = 4 is at the end of April?
Also, if the question asks "When does this thing happen?" (doesn't specifically mention "month"), will I be correct to say "when t = 4" and make no reference to the name or part (the start, end, etc) of the month.

BTW, 1 + 3 = 5 is not really a transcription error is it? It's calculation error...
Do you mean transcription error as misreading the question and copying the wrong thing onto the next line of working (eg 2 becomes 3 on the next line, but not 1 + 3 becomes 5 as it's a calculation mistake)?

Well you may not know this stuff anyway.. it's really trivial :D
doesn't hurt to ask though...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
mojako said:
How about my original question?
with "t" being defined as the number of months which have passed since the beginning of January, will I still be correct if I say that t = 4 is at the end of April?
Also, if the question asks "When does this thing happen?" (doesn't specifically mention "month"), will I be correct to say "when t = 4" and make no reference to the name or part (the start, end, etc) of the month.

BTW, 1 + 3 = 5 is not really a transcription error is it? It's calculation error...
Do you mean transcription error as misreading the question and copying the wrong thing onto the next line of working (eg 2 becomes 3 on the next line, but not 1 + 3 becomes 5 as it's a calculation mistake)?

Well you may not know this stuff anyway.. it's really trivial :D
doesn't hurt to ask though...
Taking your questions in order.
1: I don't see a problem, but a teacher might choose to be an [expletive deleted] if they were in a really bad mood.
2: Depends. If the question did not define t, and it is a variable that you have introduced, then your answer should not be left as t. If the question defined t, then it is a grey area.
3: I agree that 1 + 3 = 5 is a penalisable error.

mojako

HSC
Thanks CM_Tutor :)
Speaking of that [expletive deleted]... did the board script delete it or did you write "[expletive deleted]"?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I typed [expletive deleted] - I shouldn't be seen to use inappropriate language, IMO, since I have "Teacher" status. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)