Interstate and International Admissions - updated (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Commonwealth Supported Places are the same as HECS, and Medicine is just another course. If you are in a CSP you don't pay until you reach the middle tax bracket (around $30,000) which for med graduates is internship (ie first year out of uni).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
im borrowing money from my brother... its a family loan.. :(
its the worse kind lolz.. u never hear the end of it.. btw i think he wants a lexus or BMW in return lolz

last yr i had a job with 15 hrs pw.. but that was still tough.. it covered about 60%.. my brother covered the 40% which is mainly rent.. im eating into my trust fund and savings too..

otherwise most ppl qualify for youth allowance.. im just stuck in an awkward situation .. cos im just over the threshold

Last edited:

jang

is not my real name
HSC
so u dont get youth allowance because u work too much pointdexter?

also, to those that goto UMelb, where can u live there? and wat is there to do there?

CrashOveride

HSC
jang said:

also, to those that goto UMelb, where can u live there? and wat is there to do there?
Did you get the offer from UMelb?

I got a mate who got an offer for Bachelor of combined Medicine/Surgery/Medical Science at University of Melbourne.

He reckons that because he also got a high UAI (low 99), that this course is accelerated to 6years where it normally takes 7 or 8 years.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
jang said:

I got an offer from Uni of Melb, but not for Med! Lol.

As for Accommodation in Melbourne:
The University for Melbourne has several colleges and can be found at the intercollegiate website:
http://www.colleges.unimelb.edu.au/
All of the colleges are listed on this page:
http://www.colleges.unimelb.edu.au/collegesummary.html

However, there is lots of Student Accommodation in and around Melbourne depending upon what you want to do. The University has an accommodation office helping students find houses, flats, apartments etc. Also, there is a bookstore in Lygon St, Carlton (approx 2 blocks from Uni) called 'Readings' that has a window of accommodation advertisements if you wish to live with someone who doesn't go to uni...

As for what to do! Plenty! Parkville campus is a 5min tram ride from the GPO. It's pretty much in the CBD, and not to mention a beautiful university.

I don't go there, I will be in 2006, but my sis has been there the past 4 years.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
nope..
cos UMelb does 18 extra credit points that Adel does as non-med electives and lik the first 3 yrs of 6 yr courses are basically medsci..
its just that in melb u get 1 subject more a term in medical sci.. its the unis decision.. other unis let u hav gen eds and electives in that time..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
monash is 5 yrs cos we have no gen ed...the reason why some people shun unsw and UMelb. Could be bad or good the way you see it.

volta

HSC
Don't want to seem ignorant, but could you explain the term 'gen ed' inasero?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
dont worry you're not expected to know it...yet...
see in UNSW they like to broaden your horizons and develop you as a global citizen so they offer you a few subjects outside of your major course of study and which one u pick doesnt have to be related. You can learn basket weaving if you want! Im just saying at Monash they don't offer such an experience so all you'll be doing is learning biology, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, chemistry, radiology and the like....

inasero

Reborn
HSC
see the frozen scales in teh bottom left of the message bar? thats how you thank me :p

7minute

HSC
Early closing dates for some unis

Something I just remembered: to all the people who are applying for entry to med in 2006, please check closing dates for applications very carefully! Especially in regrads to interstate unis, they're not all the same.

Last year I tried to apply to the University of Adelaide but I didn't realise their closing date was 31st August. My late application became invalid as a result. Not a good thing, especially when you want to apply to as many places as you can...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah .. its one of the problems with Adel
I almost forgot to submit it in..

and they dun accept non-yr 12's so lik its pretti much one-shot.. unless u defer uni

ishq

brown?
HSC
For those who study interstate, how often do you trudge back to Sydney? And how?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I intend to return between semesters, and by plane. This means I'll only be in Sydney for three weeks (late June to mid July) in the midyear and then about twoish-threeish months for summer (sometime in November to late February).

Perhaps in later years I'll be able to come back for midyear breaks (most importantly Easter) but considering the work I have to complete during that break in first year I don't think it'll happen. Also, as you get through the years your summer break becomes shorter and shorter until you just don't have one between 5th and 6th.

Keen

MD
HSC
Last year (1st year med) I returned every holidays. And it looks to continue this year (except the Septembers as I have rural visits). And this is from Adelaide to Central Qld - quite a treck (especially on the wallet).

Keen

inasero

Reborn
HSC
what r u complaining about tightarse? u got a MRBS scholarship!

Keen

MD
HSC
hehe... still doesn't change anything. (trying to find funds for convention...)

Keen

inasero

Reborn
HSC
where u find it from...your bank account where the govt deposits their money!
oh yeh its in syd hehe...im not going but ill crash some events...my friend promised to fill me in on the details...might be seeing you there aye?

oh yeah pointdexter is going most probably~~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)