Interstate and International Admissions - updated (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i've edited this thread to include international admissions also so be sure to check out the link on the first page people

ishq

brown?
HSC
*thread revival*

inasero, pointdexter, lexi, keen... where do you guys live? In colleges or other accomodation? Which are the best colleges in your respective universities? I just checked out all the respective sites and they all look alright - an inside view???

thanks! :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
for the n-millionth time- i live in shared accomodation outside the uni
lexi lives in a residential college on campus
pointdexter lives in a share house outside of adelaide

in monash...all of the colleges suck- the food, the accomodation, the price. But if you have cash to burn and you like drunken shenanigans then college is for you. In Monash, the majority of medical students staying on campus stay at Mannix College...it's closer to the medical faculty and is catered...although it is expensive at 250+ a week.

Ive expressed my opinions on where's the best place to live...so have a search around on the forum and you will certainly be enlightened on this matter.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i remember Lincoln college in adelaide is like 270 per week
and the rooms arent even that big
and it's old (70s) and ugly

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'll answer your new question.

As far as I can tell, UWA doesn't have a "best college", but more a "best college for you". Even then, you might just not be the type for college. Mine is known mostly as the most alcoholic college, which at first glance is a stark contrast to my personality. But I'm more or less able the less desirable antics of the people around me, and they're all straight arrows so we get on ok. I know a number of people who weren't as easy-going as I am, and decided to leave.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ooh I had a renal slide for my practical exam last semester... I had NFI what I was drawing. Just round bit here, squiggly bit there...

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Ooh I had a renal slide for my practical exam last semester... I had NFI what I was drawing. Just round bit here, squiggly bit there...
hahahha coool... just do a squiggly circle thing and point an arrow to it and write 'renal cell' hahahhah 1 mark!

i wish it was like that :(

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmm .. histo of renal.. its killer.. :)

umm i havent stayed at college here in adel.. but the uni accomodation there is a website..
about $190-$270
from shared townhouses to college :p...
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/accommodation/

i live with other ppl but i could cook and do stuff lik tat.. so its pretti ok for me :)..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lol we wouldn't happen to be talking about the loop of henle by any chance?

stood in on a surgery today- one circumcision/laparotomy and one hysterectomy. Fun fun fun!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yeh like wtf, hard enough to tell from the PCT and DCT and then the collecting ducts look the same as the DCT ><

hey inasero, were the surgeries something you do at monash? like as in clinical practice stuff ?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
http://www.med.monash.edu.au/mrh/undergraduate/medicine/year2.html

that's what I'm doing in Sale (SE Gippsland region) for two weeks...the doctors here don't have many students dithering around in the hospital so they are more than happy for students to rock up to Surgery, ED, etc etc so long as we don't all rush the place at the same time. The operating surgeon even let one of the clinical students suture the remnants of the foreskin on the base of the penis! You certainly wouldn't have that experience in an urban clinical school.

general medicine and general surgery rounds don't start until clinical years (i.e. next semester for me)

Ursula-Sama

HSC
N/A
Hi, i'm going monash uni for 06 med, and i'm gonna be living in melbourne by myself (it feels so daunting), so i wanted to ask u about living in melb

i was wondering weither it's better to live on shared accom near the campus, or living in the city( cost would be higher in city right?)

i mean clayton looked like a hole the day i went to enrole, is there even any shopping centre's around that place :confused:, but it seems like the only place i can say at for a newbie moving into melb

so based on ur experience is first year really really really hard, cause i've heard from all these ppl about high flunk out rates at med first year

Last edited:

ks21

HSC
I heard that it aint too bad first year, all you need is a pass for first year as it is not counted in the overall scheme of things.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Hi, i'm going monash uni for 06 med, and i'm gonna be living in melbourne by myself (it feels so daunting), so i wanted to ask u about living in melb

i was wondering weither it's better to live on shared accom near the campus, or living in the city( cost would be higher in city right?)

i mean clayton looked like a hole the day i went to enrole, is there even any shopping centre's around that place , but it seems like the only place i can say at for a newbie moving into melb

so based on ur experience is first year really really really hard, cause i've heard from all these ppl about high flunk out rates at med first year
well living in clayton vs. living in the city has pros and cons...you'll find that most interstate students live either in mannix college (a residential college on campus) or find private share accomodation. Other alternatives are living in homestay or living by yourself in an apartment.

Those that live closer to the city are likely to incur significantly higher travel costs whether it's by public transport or catching a car as Monash uni is out in the sticks. That said, living near the campus in clayton does have advantages which i wont bother going into here since i wrote about it elsewhere.

As for pass rates...Newcastle Uni generally has the highest first year fail rate and while I'm not sure about other universities...only a few students fail in first and second year at Monash (say about 5-10 out of 200) so you can imagine you really have to try if you want to fail- I wouldn't worry about it.

delian

HSC
N/A
Why would Newcastle have highest first yr fail rate?
Thanks in advance

bluecrisps

HSC
if you apply for a place in medicine interstate, how would you do an interview?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)