Interview for medicine (1 Viewer)

lil tiger

Hey people

I was wondering if you can answer my question. What makes a person who does sports, charity work and participates in leadership roles so attractive to the interviewers. I saw the application form for UNSW, and it barely asked these actitivities besides a little subsection where it says somethings like "Tell us about you your sports, hobbies, etc. and achievements in this area". Won't any person have as good an impression if they just perform well in the interviews despite them having 'not much' to say. Wouldn't that mean a person who is truly more 'rounded' lose the advantage which they should have

Thanks

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It shows a level of community awareness and involvement - as long as you can convince them you did it for the right reasons. They're trying to get to know you as a person, who you are and how you think, not just as another UAI.

After all, a good doctor is not made. Medicine isn't about turning average people into doctors, it's about giving people with the right mindset the skills they need to get to work on the community. :)

za

HSC
isnt it a bit too early to be talking about interviews?
wait and see how u go in the umat then contemplate sitting for interviews

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, it is not too early. Take this from someone who waited until offers came out before thinking about what to say.

From my experience you should be constantly thinking about what might come up - but not obsessing. Just keep a pad in your pocket so if you one day happen to remember an interesting experience, or find the perfect expression for your reasons for wanting to do medicine, you can jot them down. These things sound trivial now, but just wait until the day when the interviewer asks you to express your innermost philosophy and desires. Good luck to you if you're not ready.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)