• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Interview Help? (1 Viewer)

Albeie

HSC
so yeh basically i got a job interview for a bar position coming up and wondering if i can get any tips from people. r u suppose to go all formal and wear suits or is it better to just go in smart casual? and what things should i b prepared to say or do i just shut my mouth and answer their questions? Thanks

Kiim2507

HSC
Probably black pants and a collared top would be good. Shave and remove any facial peircings if you have.

Best tip I ever got for interviews was to always back up your statements with example eg if they say why would you be good for this position you say because I'm good at teamwork demonstated by my 5 years in the football team or whatever but always back up what you say.

I reckon its good to have a few questions up your sleeve to ask even if you don't care so much about the answers just to show more interest in the job.

Anyway just relax and be yourself. Show confidence and willingness.

Be at least 5 minutes early for the interview.

Hope this helps :)

Albeie

HSC
so no need to go all formal with suit and tie? and another dumb q, black or white shoes?

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
black imo

edit: maybe not so much tie. if you're wearing eg. a shirt with collar, black pants and black shoes.

HSC
N/A
dont choke up...

know what you're talking about and say it clearly.

oh yeah... and make sure u know ur forms of recomended ID, its always bound to be asked in an interview at a bar. and also know wat to say if he asks u wat would you do if someone came to the bar and the were under the influence of alcohol, and ur manager wasnt around... what would you do?

-----------------------------------------------------------
my experience...

i went to an interview for a new cafe (in the rough part of bankstown WTF WHY ? coz it was new and it was a chocolate cafe xP) and he asked me this hard as question... i wish that RSA training stuck more in my brain... "wat would you do if a customer got really roudy, and was swearing and yelling complaining his coffee took too long and it was cold"

i was like SHIT... THINK THINK RSA WHAT DID THEY SAY!

yeah i culdnt get my words together properly. and i just completely forgot the context of the cafe == ... im sure my answer to that ruined it for me. first off, i said get the manager... and the guy goes "wat if he wasnt there"
ummm... id consult other employees and make a group decision and replace his coffee....

yeah i had no idea.

so yeah just make sure u know wat ur saying and take ur time.

Albeie

HSC
yeh i remember those sorta cicumstantial questions theyd ask u, but theres no lik 'standard answer' is there? those r worrying me the most cause its not really one u can 'prepare' for... any tips on how to deal with them?

Kiim2507

HSC
Practise with a friend/family member?
Those questions are the hardest I reckon cos theres no right answer...basically they're just trying to see your personality in the answers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)