Introductory Mathematical Finance (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Has anyone taken this unit? If so, what is it like? Would it be better or easier than Corporate Finance II? What type of 'maths' is actually in it (i.e. a brief outline of what is learnt)?

Thanks.

kony

HSC
hey Trebla, what degree are you actually doing?

Rorix

HSC
I took it and dropped it. As background, I did 4u maths in my HSC and do perfectly well at finance. I found this subject overly hard, since it involved higher level math I had not previously covered before and the concepts were barely explained. Corporate Finance II is much easier, perhaps unless you do engineering so are already familiar with the maths.

I would strongly recommend against doing it.

We were also told in our year that the person who tops IMF generally tops Derivative Securities. This was not true in my year, and there is little overlap between the two courses.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I do a Science/Commerce degree and I'm wondering if anyone can outline what types of mathematics is involved...

ledzeppelin

HSC
I went to the first lecture for FINC2013 this semester, but ended up doing Corporate Finance II instead.
If I remember correctly, 2013's mainly involved with the process of deriving the CAPM.
From the way the two units are presented, it makes it look like 2012 and 2013 are interchangable, however they cover much different areas. I spoke to the 2013lecturer (Max Stevenson) after the first session, and I think he put forward that FINC2012 was probably the more important unit to do, but he did recommend doing both at some stage.
I'm doing FINC2012 atm, however if I have a spare unit in 3rd or 4th year, will try and do FINC2013 as well

live.fast

HSC
N/A
does anyone have the Unit of Study outline for this unit? if you do, could you post it up! pleasee!!!

shsshs

HSC
Here it is.

The subject is fucking hard.

But the thing is, they teach a lot of stuff they dont examine. A lot of the lecture is just deriving stuff and you learn a lot of stuff 'just because its good to know'.

I would say only 20% of what you learn gets examined.

The best perspective I can put on it is that:

while corp finc 2 is more about putting you in a company's position and looking at things such as options, futures, swaps, etc.

finc2013 is more about you as an investor building an efficient portfolio of stocks using different techniques: mean variance, CAPM, stochastic dominance, Single Index Models, etc.

hope that helps

live.fast

HSC
N/A
heyyy thanks dudeee!!! shit i been looking all over for that UoS. But yep. I understand now what the unit's about loll again, thanks a bunch!!! :D

ledzeppelin

HSC
shsshs said:
Here it is.

The subject is fucking hard.

But the thing is, they teach a lot of stuff they dont examine. A lot of the lecture is just deriving stuff and you learn a lot of stuff 'just because its good to know'.

I would say only 20% of what you learn gets examined.

The best perspective I can put on it is that:

while corp finc 2 is more about putting you in a company's position and looking at things such as options, futures, swaps, etc.

finc2013 is more about you as an investor building an efficient portfolio of stocks using different techniques: mean variance, CAPM, stochastic dominance, Single Index Models, etc.

hope that helps
Did you do FINC2192 as well this semester?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)