• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Introductory Spanish :) (1 Viewer)

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Has anyone done this subject? Is it intense? I really need personal reviews. Thanks in advance :)

eastsidehighris

HSC
i did this s1 in 2008. you have lectures where you learn the culture and history of spain (south america in s2 i believe), plus 3 hrs of tutorials to learn language. No its not intense, there are enough similarities to English to make it not appear entirely foreign, and if you already have a second language, or have an ethnic background, with some Spanish roots it will be even easier. Im Filipino and I easily got a distinction in this without trying too hard, and people asked me why my pronunciation was so good for a beginner, since my background isn't readily famous for its Spanish heritage. So if you have a South American heritage, that would be even better!

However I noticed Caucasian Australians having more difficulty with pronunciation, grammar and sentence structure, and remembering lots of different words, but Im sure its not impossible if you are determined enough. Just dont do it because you think it would be cool to fire off a whole paragraph in Spanish, because it could take a while to get there!

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Haha thanks alot :) I am already ok at italian so hopefully that will help me too...

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Hey, I tried to take this subject but I got chucked out because I was "too good". I had learnt a tiny bit of spanish, travelled for a month in bolivia, and they make me leave, while people who went on a gap year to ecuador and similar get to stay. Bitter, me?!

Anyway, in my first two weeks it went slowly, but the tutor I had was great. It's true, some of the whities did seem to find it hard to pronounce the sounds but not everyone.

Definitely go for it, it seemed fun and interesting although apparently Vik or whatever his name is is boring as with his latin america lectures in 2nd semester. And it really isn't that hard, especially if you can speak another latin-based language.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)