IntSt vs Comm. (1 Viewer)

lionking1191

HSC
I'm kind of tossing up between one of these two to combine with law.

commerce is obviously the "useful" one but it seems dead boring and intlSt sounds a lot more interesting

any input at all (ie. course composition, career prospects etc etc) would be greatly appreciated. :)

lionking1191

HSC
thanks for that. exchange sounds very appealing.. but wouldn't a diploma take another 3 years? 8 years is quite a long time...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i do mine simultaneously by overloading 1 language subject per semester). so, 5 yrs for com/law, begin my diploma in 2nd yr, takes 3.5 yrs (7 subjects over 7 semesters), exchange in 5th yr, final semester. all good.

lionking1191

HSC
Frigid said:
i do mine simultaneously by overloading 1 language subject per semester). so, 5 yrs for com/law, begin my diploma in 2nd yr, takes 3.5 yrs (7 subjects over 7 semesters), exchange in 5th yr, final semester. all good.
so it works out to be 5 and a half years in total? that sounds great. how's the workload and everything?

and do you still apply through uac or directly to the uni after the offers are made?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
so it works out to be 5 and a half years in total? that sounds great. how's the workload and everything?

and do you still apply through uac or directly to the uni after the offers are made?
no, it'll end up taking 5 yrs (if you start the diploma at the beginning of 2nd year), but you will be doing the equivalent of 6 yrs of FT study in the space of 5 yrs.

the workload is alright... i didn't fare too well in Commerce but that's because i didn't care too much... 5 subjects is easily doable if you don't have a regular part-time job (i did my work experience as internships over the long summer break) or you work 1 day a week.

you apply through uni, at the end of 1st year, by getting an application form from Arts and getting the approval from Law.

lionking1191

HSC
hmm i see, thanks much. you'd be in your final year? where are you going for exchange?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
yeah i'm in my final semester. i didn't end up going on exchange, but that's not to say i couldn't have gone. i think the plan i've outlined is a decent substitute for both B.Com LLB and B.Int Std LLB.

lionking1191

HSC
aw right. i was going through the exchange forum the other day and i saw your post (i think it was you anyway) a few yrs back where you said you wanted to go to a HK uni i think? oh and for the exchange you'd have to apply separately and the 2 semesters would count towards the law component of the course then?

yeah it's quite a good combo - it's mostly the language part i'm interested in anyway. have you heard anything about the commerce (international) course at unsw? it's a 4F commerce course with a major from intlSt incl. a year overseas, but i'm not sure if it's combinable with a LLB.

thanks for the suggestion btw, i'd never have found out about the diploma of lang. otherwise

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
no worries. two yrs back i wanted to exchange to HK uni (for professional reasons), but didn't up going through with that. you can do Commerce (with an International Business major) and Law but not Commerce (International) and Law.

wayneking33

HSC
Does this plan make it an intense 5 yrs with little if any room for extracurriculars and 'r&r'?

Also, would the language diploma still be done at uni?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)