Inv Trig (1 Viewer)

Etho_x

ツ
HSC
N/A
random question - how do you type in maths notation? Is there a website or software to switch from maths and natural input?
It's Latex. Personally I don't know how to use it yet but there is an option on the toolbar in the text box, denoted by "f(x)".

Etho_x

ツ
HSC
N/A
How would I find the domain for this?
Recall that the domain of arctan x is all real x. However, for this question you have a restriction, that is the domain of sqrt(x^2 - 1).

For the function y = sqrt(x^2 - 1), the domain is that x >= 1, or x <= -1. Since the domain of arctan x is all real x, the domain of sqrt(x^2 - 1) is the domain of arctan(sqrt(x^2 - 1)), that is x >= 1, or x <= -1.

carrotsss

HSC
random question - how do you type in maths notation? Is there a website or software to switch from maths and natural input?

Anaya R

HSC

Actually that guide is a bit outdated.
I'm currently learning how to do LaTeX, so I'd recommend their website:

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Recall that the domain of arctan x is all real x. However, for this question you have a restriction, that is the domain of sqrt(x^2 - 1).

For the function y = sqrt(x^2 - 1), the domain is that x >= 1, or x <= -1. Since the domain of arctan x is all real x, the domain of sqrt(x^2 - 1) is the domain of arctan(sqrt(x^2 - 1)), that is x >= 1, or x <= -1.
So essentially is the domain of the composite function inside brackets transferred into the whole function?

Etho_x

ツ
HSC
N/A
So essentially is the domain of the composite function inside brackets transferred into the whole function?
Yeah, but that’s only because the parent function (arctan x) has a domain of all real x. If it was a function like arccos x with a domain between -1 and 1 inclusive, I think there would be those restrictions which you’d have to consider.

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
I'm late but how did u find the domain and range for the second question? And the range for the first
Range for 1st: using composite function again (let u=sqrtx^2-1) therefore, y=arctanu- find common restriction for 'u' and use both graphs to using the restriction to determine range and Domain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)