• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Investment banks offering cadetships (2 Viewers)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Omnidragon said:
I'd have to disagree.

I reckon most people around me (who didn't study a commerce degree) don't know what an investment banker is, let alone even heard of it. I've got pharmacist friends, friends in the development/construction industry, doctors etc and they have no idea what a banker is, what it does etc.

All my commerce friends (anyone who's done a comm degree) know what it is. My law friends would. But most of these guys are probably comm/law anyway.

IB is still a highly narrow field and most people don't know/will never see/hear/come across it imo.
Hmm... maybe because of the school I went to or the general people I hang around, I'm under the impression that whilst not everyone truly knows what an IB does, they know it's one of the high-earning career paths. I mean, it's always in the paper with Mac on the cover, and like I said in my previous post, there are movies about it.

That being said, how much they know of what the job actually entails is another matter. I still remember in FINS1612 at UNSW (1st subject of finance for first years), the lecturer asked who wanted to be an IB, and like 75% of the room raised their hand.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea I wouldn't be surprised.

I found the same in the comm faculty and law faculty at uni. But yea, I think it's really just those sorts of people (maybe some eng people too since they get exposure to comm/eng students).

My parents didn't know what it was hahaha!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)