Investments and Trading Association (ITA) (1 Viewer)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
ND said:
I'll give you evidence: In the BRW share game (for students), they also got a number of finance lecturers (a number of whom are professors in the field). The students (and lecturers) chose stocks worth $200 000, and those stocks are locked in for a year and whoever produces the best return wins. Now the national average for students is $193372 (not great but the market's performed very poorly over the past month), and the national average for lecturers is $186928. So the finance lecturers have lost twice what the students have.
Yeh.
You find most of the academics had chosen large cap stocks..the ones most affected by the correction...whilst those with +ve returns have all small caps in their portfolio.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
investing? omg i'm so in!!!!

social events involving drinking + poker sound mad as well XD

my dream club :D

flamin'

Grizzly said:
Yeh.
You find most of the academics had chosen large cap stocks..the ones most affected by the correction...whilst those with +ve returns have all small caps in their portfolio.
Plus there are only about 10 lecturers or something and prob like 200 times the students so its really hard to compare.

So I take it ND and Isaaq wanna be IB's later on =). I reckon starting this club will give you guys a good foothold. Smart idea as well coz its very low maintenance... a lot of it is automated. Good luck with it!

Just make sure you research the investment guide and tips well. Heaps of places give 'tips', but as you will learn in ACST305, none of their tips actually do better than a buy and hold strategy. And some firms bribe investment houses to give them good ratings....

Some good books to start off would be anything written by Warren Buffet lol... or "A Random Walk Down Wallstreet" by Malkiel.

ND

HSC
Nup i don't wanna be an investment banker (not in corp fin anyway), i wanna trade. The tips won't be of the form, BHP - Hold, MRE - Strong buy etc. We'll be giving info on the fundamnetals, future prospects, factors affecting prices etc. It's up to the individual to research the company fully.

I've read a few books on Buffet's investment strategy (he hasn't actually written any books himself), and his style of investment ovbiously produces great returns. If you wanna work as a trader however, and you wanna hold everything for a 5+ years as he advocates, you'll be fired in a second.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)