iOS gaming - just bought a Steelseries Stratus XL controller for iPad (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm amazed at what a difference it makes to gaming on the go. Feels like a hybrid Xbox 360 and PS3 controller (i.e. Xbox 360 feel; but PS3 dual joystick layout). Button quality and feedback is good except the L2/R2 feels a bit squeaky as they are more similar to the Xbox shoulder triggers with gradual range (not sure how else to describe) rather than a button.

In terms of games, so far I've tried Modern Combat 5, Asphalt 8, GTA3 (I know it's the old one but it's the one I grew up with!), Metal Slug 3, Real Racing... it definitely brings out these games so much more than touch controls ever could. I bought FF6 (on sale) but have yet to try. Also plan to try Fifa 15 UT - just realised Fifa 14/13/etc (i.e. the ones I bought!) are no longer available on iTunes store :(

Ask me anything?

ps. Here's a link to controller info: http://steelseries.com/products/controllers/stratus-xl-wireless-gaming-controller-for-ios

Here's a link to Apple Store Singapore selling it (but I am pretty sure you can get it everywhere as I had seen it in Apple Store HK too) > http://store.apple.com/sg/product/HGXD2ZM/A/steelseries-stratus-xl-wireless-gaming-controller

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm amazed at what a difference it makes to gaming on the go. Feels like a hybrid Xbox 360 and PS3 controller (i.e. Xbox 360 feel; but PS3 dual joystick layout). Button quality and feedback is good except the L2/R2 feels a bit squeaky as they are more similar to the Xbox shoulder triggers with gradual range (not sure how else to describe) rather than a button.

In terms of games, so far I've tried Modern Combat 5, Asphalt 8, GTA3 (I know it's the old one but it's the one I grew up with!), Metal Slug 3, Real Racing... it definitely brings out these games so much more than touch controls ever could. I bought FF6 (on sale) but have yet to try. Also plan to try Fifa 15 UT - just realised Fifa 14/13/etc (i.e. the ones I bought!) are no longer available on iTunes store :(

Ask me anything?

ps. Here's a link to controller info: http://steelseries.com/products/controllers/stratus-xl-wireless-gaming-controller-for-ios

Here's a link to Apple Store Singapore selling it (but I am pretty sure you can get it everywhere as I had seen it in Apple Store HK too) > http://store.apple.com/sg/product/HGXD2ZM/A/steelseries-stratus-xl-wireless-gaming-controller
pics of your set up ?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
dont you rekon thats too big for iOS gaming..

Like for FIFA, you can play it on the ipad but make your phone as the controller, now (maybe something similar exist) that is pretty convenient

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
dont you rekon thats too big for iOS gaming..

Like for FIFA, you can play it on the ipad but make your phone as the controller, now (maybe something similar exist) that is pretty convenient
Is that feature still present? I used to do that a few years ago in Fifa 12 or 13 but I don't think it's still available as a feature. I also used to like playing Time Crisis using my iPhone as a gcon.

After playing more with the controller last night it really does make a huge difference. Games like Asphalt and Modern Combat become hugely more playable and enjoyable. There are smaller controllers available (and even micro ones) but this feels more like a proper experience without compromise; although it will be slightly inconvenient to carry around when travelling compared to say a PS Vita or 3DS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

My gaming setup at Starbucks whilst I wait...
tbh, that pretty cool.. haha, I always thought it would be pretty weird using an external control for gaming on iOS.But seremify doesnt your iPad loose alot of batterey due to the use of bluetooth ?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

My gaming setup at Starbucks whilst I wait...
tbh, that pretty cool.. haha, I always thought it would be pretty weird using an external control for gaming on iOS.But seremify doesnt your iPad loose alot of batterey due to the use of bluetooth ?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not really, I played Asphalt 8 for about an hour and 10-15mins on MC5 and battery went down 10% or so - and that's with Spotify streaming in the background too to my bluetooth headphones. Maybe the battery consumption varies depending on what game you're playing - I play a bit of modern combat 5 but when you do a few missions you use up the energy bar so have to switch to another game.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Not really, I played Asphalt 8 for about an hour and 10-15mins on MC5 and battery went down 10% or so - and that's with Spotify streaming in the background too to my bluetooth headphones. Maybe the battery consumption varies depending on what game you're playing - I play a bit of modern combat 5 but when you do a few missions you use up the energy bar so have to switch to another game.
Another question about these iOS gamaing tech..

The controller you have is it heavy ? durable ? what is the method of charging usb or batteries ?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Another question about these iOS gamaing tech..

The controller you have is it heavy ? durable ? what is the method of charging usb or batteries ?
At 280g it's comparable to an Xbox 360 controller (265g). Quality is good and much better than some earlier alternate which felt like cheap third party controllers despite not being cheap. This one is the XL which is slightly cheaper than their other older models but it used AA batterie and is bigger without a travel pouch. Some say it was not designed to be as portable since the analogue sticks protrude like a normal controller.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
have u like tried connecting the iPad to the TV via HDMI and then using the TV you could play your games on it.. But also using the controller ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkp

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
have u like tried connecting the iPad to the TV via HDMI and then using the TV you could play your games on it.. But also using the controller ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkp
Tried it using Airplay (wifi) to my Apple TV and it wasn't smooth even though my router (wireless AC) is fast. It was very playable and I'd estimate FPS would be 25ish but playing Asphalt wasn't great. I don't have the Lightning to HDMI cable but I have the old 30 pin dock connector to HDMI so I might be able to experiment with it but I don't really feel the need for console gaming at home with an iPad given I have a PS4. One thing I did try recently was my Surface 3 plugged in via HDMI to the TV and using wireless keyboard/mouse for UT and that worked well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst waiting for an airplane yesterday I came across a problem when trying to play this in a very very crowded space - I was unable to put my iPad on the seat across from me in the waiting area whilst using bluetooth headphones + the controller and play a game without it lagging on the input controls. My guess is there was a lot of interference in the area.

That being said when I was on the plane itself it worked great! It was like having my own little portable game console which wasn't compromised like a handheld system. The only downside is the controller being the size it is with two analogue sticks poking out means that it's hard to fit anywhere in the pocket (you need to put a bunch of stuff next to it so there's not too much pressure from the seat pocket pushing on it) and then when it's time to get off the plane with that sudden rush where everyone gets up when the seatbelt sign goes off, it is another item you need to carry and put into your suitcase/handcarry bag along with the iPad, passport/forms you filled out, wallet (I was flying Tiger Air so needed my wallet to buy stuff), phones, headphones, etc... and it's quite clumsy.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha had another small gaming session again today whilst waiting at the coffee shop. I'm really liking this. If only I had a case/pouch which would protect those two analogue sticks when the Steelseries Stratus XL is in my carry bag then I'd feel a lot less worried about it breaking.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha had another small gaming session again today whilst waiting at the coffee shop. I'm really liking this. If only I had a case/pouch which would protect those two analogue sticks when the Steelseries Stratus XL is in my carry bag then I'd feel a lot less worried about it breaking.

maybe wrap it around with some sort of cloth or something ?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if that would protect it much. How do people normally carry Xbox/PS controllers in their bags anyway to avoid damaging them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)