iOS7. Who is excited? (1 Viewer)

ebbygoo

HSC
As a recently converted android owner, and someone who is heavily interested in the mobile phone area (I have a phone reviews YouTube account), I can say that personally I am very excited about iOS 7- it looks very promising, and looks like a beautiful complement to the new (disappointing) 5s.

ebbygoo

HSC
In my honest opinion it looks like Apple are running out of ideas. Just adding a few features here and there. 64-bit architecture, who really needs that? Fingerprint scanner, just another novelty feature. The price is just ridiculous too, you could buy your own computer with that amount of money.
I actually agree here; I think they are really holding back. I am a self confessed Fanboi, but, as it is always said, the 5s is an evolutionary product, not revolutionary. Now we wait another close-to-a-year to see if Apple will do something NEW and UNSEEN (which defines innovative for me).

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I actually agree here; I think they are really holding back. I am a self confessed Fanboi, but, as it is always said, the 5s is an evolutionary product, not revolutionary. Now we wait another close-to-a-year to see if Apple will do something NEW and UNSEEN (which defines innovative for me).
...so you mean like 64-bit architecture in smart phones? As in the thing that doesn't actually exist in smart phones apart from the 5S?

ebbygoo

HSC
...so you mean like 64-bit architecture in smart phones? As in the thing that doesn't actually exist in smart phones apart from the 5S?
Please tell me how the mainstream user will benefit so much from this.

SuperMike96

HSC
It doesn't really matter matter if the mainstream user benefits significantly from it. The point is that they are improving their technology, and raising the standard.

Imagine if they took that attitude in the 80s...We would still be using the Commodore C64 computers.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Faster and more efficient processing of every action you do in applications benefits every user at every level. Developers can create better applications and make current ones even better. You might as well ask the question "how does improving the fundamental function of an application improve a phone for a user".

I'm currently using iOS 7 GM and it has a bunch of new features that are very cool. I'll adjust to the look of it which I still think is weird, but it's p impressive

ebbygoo

HSC
Faster and more efficient processing of every action you do in applications benefits every user at every level. Developers can create better applications and make current ones even better. You might as well ask the question "how does improving the fundamental function of an application improve a phone for a user".

I'm currently using iOS 7 GM and it has a bunch of new features that are very cool. I'll adjust to the look of it which I still think is weird, but it's p impressive
I like the look of iOS. It is different. They need different atm IMO.

deloving

HSC
They do it in order to keep up with the standard of being world's most powerful company. Whether the changes are powerful, innovative (most of the time, they aren't), or fresh and widget-y, it all does not matter. For a company like Apple, anyway.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Apple may not have done a whole lot with the 5S but the thing which I want/need is the fingerprint sensor. I'm sick of having to use complex passwords for my firm's IT policy/profile. And besides, it means my 5S will use the same cables/chargers as my personal iPhone5 :) And apps and music. By default, everything is convenient.

Oh, and iOS 7 looks pretty. I think it might feel slower because of the animations but I'll see how it goes with time. I probably won't update my iPhone 5 just yet but will order a 5S as soon as it becomes available.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Apple is really running out of ideas, a faster processor is pretty much the bare minimum of what you would expect from a new phone release and fingerprint technology isn't exactly new.

Randox

HSC
N/A
Apple is really running out of ideas, a faster processor is pretty much the bare minimum of what you would expect from a new phone release and fingerprint technology isn't exactly new.
A well implemented finger print sensor that works well is pretty much new for consumer electronics. Additionally it's not just a faster processor, the upgrade to 64 bit is a large change to the smartphone industry. Samsung has already come out and said they are going to put it into their next phones (as usual apple is first to the party). The smartphone market has developed massively since 2007 and innovation is harder to come by as time goes on and the product matures.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
A well implemented finger print sensor that works well is pretty much new for consumer electronics. Additionally it's not just a faster processor, the upgrade to 64 bit is a large change to the smartphone industry. Samsung has already come out and said they are going to put it into their next phones (as usual apple is first to the party). The smartphone market has developed massively since 2007 and innovation is harder to come by as time goes on and the product matures.
Yeah...no.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wouldn't say they are absolutely first for fingerprint sensors either, but I've had to use a lot of different fingerprint scanners over the years and have yet to find one which works even 75% of the time (e.g. the swipe ones as well as the press your thumb onto a panel which looks a bit like a solar charging panel on old calculators!). It's also incredibly awkward having to lift your hand off and swipe it across a metal bar in a perfectly straight motion such as the implementation in Lenovo laptops. If the touch sensor works as well as Apple makes it out to be (i.e. it doesn't require any additional action than what you would normally do to use the device) then it will be a first in mainstream consumer electronics.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
(as usual apple is first to the party)
Wut. This is one of few times that Apple has been the first to implement truly revolutionary hardware. For being first to release 64 bit devices Apple have an edge over all the Android phone manafacturers as they are in control of the hardware and software. At the moment there are no 64 bit builds of Android and I guess there is a bit of a chicken or the egg problem with developing 64 bit SoCs and developing 64 bit builds of Android. Apple doesn't have to worry about that as much.

To be honest it seems like Apple have jumped the gun a bit and have done this simply to be the first. Maybe it's different with mobiles but from my understanding the real advantages of a 64 bit architecture are realised when you have over 4gb of ram - a lot of the articles i've read about the A7 mention this as well.

In saying that, i'll give Apple credit where credit is due and this will certainly force the Android devs and large SoC manafacturers to pick up their game. Now that Apple seem increasingly serious about processors it will be interesting to see what direction Apple go with their computers, Microsoft don't have the balls to ditch the x86(-64) architecure as evidenced by Windows RT and it's subsequent failure but it's definitely something Apple (of old?) wouldn't shy away from.

ebbygoo

HSC
One of the things that really annoys me is the fact they aren't opening the fingerprint sensor to 3rd party developers. I thought that was the whole point- bank payments, paypal, etc with fingerprints. Apparently not?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not just a faster processor, it's a faster processor by apple.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
One of the things that really annoys me is the fact they aren't opening the fingerprint sensor to 3rd party developers. I thought that was the whole point- bank payments, paypal, etc with fingerprints. Apparently not?
I think that'll come with time but the question is how will Apple take a cut from it- after all, if they control the fingerprint sensor, whichever 3rd parties get access to it will gain a huge competitive advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)