Ipod Shuffle... (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Hi, just wondering if anyone actually has an ipod shuffle...

Is it worth $200 for the 1gig model?

Also, my main question is:

can u play mp3 files on ur ipod which are already on ur computer (ie songs that i have downloaded from torrent files, kazaa etc) or do u have to pay to buy songs from the itunes store, and that is it.

i heard somewhere that u have to rip cds to be able to play mp3s.

can itunes upload mp3 files onto shuffle from your hard drive without having to rip cds???

doe

HSC
N/A
i read in the paper sony is coming out with an equivalently priced compeditor to the shuffle. it will actually have a screen too.

sony is ditching atrac3, hooray!@

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
doe said:
i read in the paper sony is coming out with an equivalently priced compeditor to the shuffle. it will actually have a screen too.

sony is ditching atrac3, hooray!@
how soon? i dont really care about a screen.

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
why dont u pay an extra 50 and get a 4gig mini, cause im sure 1gig couldnt possibly hold all your music.

well tats wat i would do if im your position.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
slinky said:
why dont u pay an extra 50 and get a 4gig mini, cause im sure 1gig couldnt possibly hold all your music.

well tats wat i would do if im your position.
minis are 330?

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
i think they are down to like around $250 (i think)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a 512 shuffle.

I reckon it was worth it for $149. Cheaper than all those other tiny players with tiny, useless screens, which are usually 128/256MB
Battery life is 12 hours, and shuffles don't skip since they are flash based (I dunno if normal ipods skip if you jog with them?)

dark_angel: you can play any MP3 file on a shuffle, and yes, iTunes uploads MP3's from your hard drive.

I've seen the sony MP3 players, they look pretty cool though, dunno when they'll be released here.

www.walkman.sony.co.jp (follow the links, its easy to follow even if its all in japanese)

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
shuffle is a waste of money. even tho its got good memory, but no screen , not even a simple cheap LCD. geezes. no radio...nothing

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I have a 512 shuffle.

I reckon it was worth it for $149. Cheaper than all those other tiny players with tiny, useless screens, which are usually 128/256MB
Battery life is 12 hours, and shuffles don't skip since they are flash based (I dunno if normal ipods skip if you jog with them?)

dark_angel: you can play any MP3 file on a shuffle, and yes, iTunes uploads MP3's from your hard drive.

I've seen the sony MP3 players, they look pretty cool though, dunno when they'll be released here.

www.walkman.sony.co.jp (follow the links, its easy to follow even if its all in japanese)
From the article I read they are apparently priced 30% more then iPods making them unworthwhile. iPod Shuffle doesn't have very many functions, only plays in order or shuffle and has no screen. My $129 256Mb USB/mp3 player is more worth it I reckon. You can get them at Strathfield stores and they have voice record and FM radio as well as the mp3 player.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
transcendent said:
From the article I read they are apparently priced 30% more then iPods making them unworthwhile. iPod Shuffle doesn't have very many functions, only plays in order or shuffle and has no screen. My $129 256Mb USB/mp3 player is more worth it I reckon. You can get them at Strathfield stores and they have voice record and FM radio as well as the mp3 player.
it also uses AAA batteries and can't be charged from USB

and is prolly thicker

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Yes to all but I prefer to have rechargable batteries. I could've gotten the USB chargable ones but I use my mp3 player regularly so it would run out of power quickly which is why rechargable batteries are much better cause I can replace them easily unlike the notorious iPod batteries which are known to drain and can't be replaced. When they fix the battery issues I'll get an iPod mini.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
the battery "issues" will never be fixed.

it is an inherent problem with lithium batteries

unless they start using fuel cells, lol

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Haha okay, guess I'll stick with normal mp3 players and hope they come up with cheap 1 Gb ones :p

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Minai said:
I have a 512 shuffle.

ah thats awesome, thanks for answering my question, thats all that was bothering me at the moment, was that i found out i had to buy all the music instead of being able to upload my songs.

also, is the battery life long, i dunno how the hell it charges from usb, but it seems to me like all batteries, it may run out.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
According to something I read (some review of ipod mini's on the internet), if you use the shuffle for the "average" amount of time per day or something, the battery would last at least 5 years, and I doubt you'd still be using it 5 years later (you know, technological fashion changes)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm hanging on for supercapacitors.

But Sony won't be incorporating those universally for a few years yet.

[/inside nano knowledge]

sladehk

le random
HSC
when apple says that, they mean in optimum conditions because companies always say what the maximum is when they are talking about averages

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I've got a low budget.. so i'm getting a ipod shuffle tomorow.. I was also worried about that thing about what music you could put on it, thanks Minai for clearing that up.. sound quality will be awesome with my sens

Assasinator_2

HSC
My sister got this funky Panasonic YEPP mp3 player in singapore. 512MB, plays mp3, ogg, wav, FM tuner, able to record to 128kbps mp3 off FM, able to record from CDs straight onto it using a linein port, and more equalisation features than you can poke a proverbial at.

It's awesome, and all for 160$ in Singapore. I love it.

Pity it's too small for me, though. I need more than 5-10GB :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)