• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

IP's that have recieved Band 6 (1 Viewer)

mshiraev

BD pride
HSC
Hi all,

Just wondering if any past students would be able to give me and a few others a list and title, etc of some performances they did for their HSC performance IP. I have been looking for some time for a suited piece and im struggling to find one - my teacher said it took her several months to find hers...

I know one guy from NSBHS got 96 in drama in '05, so that has to say something about the piece chosen (but of course the guy performing!!).

8 min monologues arent easy to find around the internet, libraries etc (good ones, anyway).

If someone could help me out that would be sweet

Gummy_bear

HSC
I wouldnt waste my time looking for monologues in the net, there are very few good ones and they are hard to find.
Some people find a good play and make a monologues for a character from it using excepts. You could write one, which many people in my class did this year, but you would have to get it checked, and let other people read it, and use their feedback. If you wrote one, you have to be prepared to continually change it, but then, you do with all monologues.
Your teacher may have a book of monologues, my teacher had a huge folder full of monologues that she collected over the years.

For now, just brainstorm what you want to do, drama, comedy and what content you want.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
mshiraev said:
Hi all,

Just wondering if any past students would be able to give me and a few others a list and title, etc of some performances they did for their HSC performance IP. I have been looking for some time for a suited piece and im struggling to find one - my teacher said it took her several months to find hers...

I know one guy from NSBHS got 96 in drama in '05, so that has to say something about the piece chosen (but of course the guy performing!!).

8 min monologues arent easy to find around the internet, libraries etc (good ones, anyway).

If someone could help me out that would be sweet
Hey mshiraev,

I did my HSC in 04' and got 94. Although you asked for the titles of pieces ppl have performed in the past I'm not going to share mine. It because you have to realise that it is not the piece that is the most important part of the performance and the markers REALLY DON'T want to see a piece that has already been done.

I'll give you a hand. I've got about 400 monologues and time to waste til uni starts.

First you need to tell me your performance strengths (comic, serious serio/comic), performance history (have you done musicals, dramas, full length plays?), your favourite playwrights if you have some, even your favourite movies. Then tell me what kind of character YOU want to play. Not what kind of character that will get marks. If your heart ain't in it, you're farnarkled. What issues are you interested in? What kind of age and gender do you want your character to be?
You can give me multiple options on your answers, but the more narrow you are on what kind of character you want, the easier.

You can PM me with the answers to all those questions if you don't want to share over the forums. Let me know in the next couple of days if you need my assistance, before xmas would be sweet.

Cheerio.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
skillo, you are a remarkably giving person.

i got 95 for my overall drama mark and 30/30 for my IP. I agree with what skillo says about not emulating someone elses performance, but my piece is open for vast adaptation from different points of view. "bombshells" my joanna murray-smith is the one woman play where i chose my piece (the cat one if you've read it) and from there i whittled it gradually down to the parts i loved and not the parts i wasnt 100% sure about. thus i was left with a piece i loved performing and that meant something special to me. if you choose something you love and make it original and sassy, you cant go wrong. after all, in essence, the markers are looking at you up on stage and not assessing the criteria you used to choose your piece. be ultra confident, but dont be afraid to make changes.

buy the play bombshells (if you are female) from amazon or the like, there are 6 different stories, all are brilliant.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
AlleyCat was nominated for OnStage so she can make the safe assumption that she achieved 30/30. There are other ways of working out a ballpark figure for each performance mark with the assistance of your faculty.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Onstage isnt selected on the basis on marks. It's selected based on how it will look in a compoundium of plays.
I know someone who got onstage with an overall mark of 87 for drama

Gummy_bear

HSC
stazi said:
Onstage isnt selected on the basis on marks. It's selected based on how it will look in a compoundium of plays.
I know someone who got onstage with an overall mark of 87 for drama
a mark of 87 doesnt mean that she didnt get 30/30 for ip, she may not have done well on the exam, and plus that mark was a scaled/aligned mark, not raw.
All performances have to of had 30/30 but in some rare cases the examiners can nominate a group or idividual performance that didnt get 30/30 because they may have performed brilliantly but not met the marking criteria. This is very rarely done though, i only know of one case where this has happened.
But all nominations for onstage need a mark of 30/30, esspecially the submitted pieces such as costume and set design etc.

After all the nominations have been made, the selection is made based on how they will look together with other pieces, the onstage people want as much diversity in performance styles as possible.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
well, im not CERTAIN that i got 30, but im just assuming i got that or close to that due to my nomination. i think the vast majority of nominees got full marks. there have been rumours of people getting nominated with lower marks, but ive never seen them.

Gummy_bear

HSC
AlleyCat said:
well, im not CERTAIN that i got 30, but im just assuming i got that or close to that due to my nomination. i think the vast majority of nominees got full marks. there have been rumours of people getting nominated with lower marks, but ive never seen them.

Well, like i said ive only heard of one case, the HSC examiner that nominated the group that got less than 30 told me about it when i talked to her once, she taught my drama teacher, so she talked to the class about marking and stuff. but im pretty sure they got 28 or 29, only missed out on the last marks, i think, because they ran over time a tiny bit.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
oh while we're on the topic of marks can someone clear this up. when u get your HSC result for drama, does the exam mark include both the performance exam and the written one, or just the written paper? im assuming both, but im not sure.

iamcool

HSC
dont listen to douches

i got 92 for drama and performed as Lisa from 'girl, interrupted.' When i came to this site during the early days of yr 12 drama to get some help from the so called 'experienced' mods they managed to scare the shit out of me by making me lose faith in my piece. they told me that the markers couldnt possibly like my monologue cos it was a 'self devised psychodrama' - which it wasnt, clearly.

basically what im trying to say is, dont ask a bunch of douches for advice on ur piece.. go to ur drama teacher and just have faith in ur own judgement.

these clowns know nothing.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
iamcool said:
i got 92 for drama and performed as Lisa from 'girl, interrupted.' When i came to this site during the early days of yr 12 drama to get some help from the so called 'experienced' mods they managed to scare the shit out of me by making me lose faith in my piece. they told me that the markers couldnt possibly like my monologue cos it was a 'self devised psychodrama' - which it wasnt, clearly.
well i am genuinely glad that you got good marks, but you were after advice, and i and others gave the best advice we could. i have always thought that pieces from popular films are a bad idea, even if you adapt and change them. congratulations on going well, but i think you are a fuckwit.

ps we are not "mods" but concerned people trying to help.

greenapple^0^

HSC
ummm wondering..

:confused: i'm doin performance as my individal project and i was wondering is it better if u make one or is it better if u get one?? coz i do already have made mine but my drama teacher said dat itz better to get one,, i donno~~!!!! do u get more mark if itz orginial?? coz i no they mark u as u performing but still does the play get marked?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
1) it's more helpful if you don't spell like a retard
it's easier to get one rather than to make one up yourself. They won't give you more marks if you make one up yourself.
Adaptations work best though, as you can customise something to your own persona and the range of characters you can play

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
greenapple^0^ said:
:confused: i'm doin performance as my individal project and i was wondering is it better if u make one or is it better if u get one?? coz i do already have made mine but my drama teacher said dat itz better to get one,, i donno~~!!!! do u get more mark if itz orginial?? coz i no they mark u as u performing but still does the play get marked?
ok, now im sure that your idea is great and all, but professional playwrights are just that...professional. they do it for a living and thus what they write will have more structural coherence than something you write yourself.

if you have a set theme you want to convey, try different techniques to do this. for example, appropriate an existing play or scene into a context of your choosing. or you can use the piece as a metaphor to convey your message. remember, be creative! the examiners see so many of these that any bit of originality is very highly regarded.

and yes, stas is right. please try to write normally, it is easier to read and easier to take your enquiry seriously.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
iamcool said:

basically what im trying to say is, dont ask a bunch of douches for advice on ur piece.. go to ur drama teacher and just have faith in ur own judgement.

these clowns know nothing.
You...

1. We are not Mods. The moderator of this forum is Will_Sparky. We are posters on a public forum.
2. YOU came here for advice. I would like to let you know that this so called 'experience' should not be mocked ESPECIALLY in a case such as my own. Because I one of the many people gave you advice, I am going to take this personally and just say this.
I am experienced, been performing for 10 years, not just pissy school drama, I help tutor kids in HSC drama because I GET IT, I got into VCA for christs sake so I must be doing something right. I am not obliged to post on this site, I just help people become good performers and make right decisions. I also like to think that I am people become better at their craft rather than just getting an ffffing mark in the HSC, which is obviously all you wanted.
Drama isn't about marks, its about knowing what is creatively unique and creating a piece that is theatrically challenging and original. If you do that, you have succeeded.
3. Self-devised angst pieces are...shit. sorry. markers have said it, teachers have said it. Oh course you were going to label your piece 'self-devised psychodrama'...especially if you're not going to share any of it...your description is the fabric of judgement. If you knew it wasn't self-devised psychodrama, then you didn't need our opinion.

Oh and by the way, anyone can get 92 if they can write an essay and perform an 'alright' monologue. I guess you got nice examiners on the day huh?

Go somewhere else.
:ninja:

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
*gapes in awe at skillo's almighty power*

p.s "iamcool"...
my performance was better than yours, sucker!

blueyez

HSC
my drama teachers advice was that if youre gonna do a peformance IP, make it a monologue written to be peformed live (that is if youre not writing your own) so dont pick ones out of movies because they will not look as good when peformed in front of examiners.

i also had no luck finding 8 minute monologues on the net. libraries are better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)